Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Tonka Truck for C&C

Real Name
    Scott Benz

Tonka Truck for C&C

My nephew was over and I decided to pull out a Tonka firetruck that I played with as a kid. Here are a couple of shots for C&C. I have a concern with exposure and the focal point on the first and exposure and oversharpening on the second.

Let me know what you think!

Tonka Truck for C&C

1/30
    f/5.6
    ISO 500
    85mm

Tonka Truck for C&C

1/25
    f/9
    ISO 500
    85mm

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Re: Tonka Truck for C&C

Quote Originally Posted by epmi314 View Post
    My nephew was over and I decided to pull out a Tonka firetruck that I played with as a kid. Here are a couple of shots for C&C.

I have a concern with exposure and the focal point on the first

Tonka Truck for C&C
    I don't think there is a problem with exposure or focal point at all. I thought ti was good. I was surprised to see f5.6 at 85mm producing such a narrow depth of field. But, no complaints - It works well.

My question about this one would be on composition. First of all, we've got what I assume is the turntable ladder creeping into the top left corner and sort-of chopping off that corner of the image. I think it needed either more of the ladder in so we could really see it, or none at all. As it is, it looks a bit like a mistake having it there. And one thing to think about whilst pondering on that question is - If you hadn't told us it was a firetruck, would we know? So, if you wanted to make an image of a toy firetruck, does this tell us the story that that is what it is?

Quote Originally Posted by epmi314 View Post
    and exposure and oversharpening on the second.

Tonka Truck for C&C
    I think the exposure is okay. You seem to have been working with a black black (on the tyre) and a white white (on the hubcap) - if you see what I mean - very close together. So that was a challenge. And I think you handled it well. I think it's maybe up the edge of overdone in terms of sharpening, but I don't think you've overdone it.

Real Name
    Scott Benz

Thank you Donald. All great points I will consider in the future.

Real Name
    Philip

Hello Scott.

As Donald is aware from some of my previous posts, I am often confused by the purpose of black & white images, and these two seem to puzzle me even more. Maybe I am wrong, but I thought that Tonka toys were produced in plain bright colours and, if ever there was a vehicle that demanded vivid colours, it has to be the firetruck. So I would be grateful if you could describe what you were trying to achieve and convey here, in order to help my understanding of these photographs.

Philip