Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Tonights Moon (Sept. 7th)

Real Name
    Mike

Tonights Moon (Sept. 7th)

Although the conditions were very good tonight for visual seeing, they were quite poor for
    imaging the Moon since it is sitting low in the southern sky right now. End result is having to
    shoot Moon pics through a whole lot of atmosphere.

Tried a few shots while out watching the Elk tonight, and they were just awful, so, I waited
    until much of the Earths heat from the warm day had dissipated (to avoid the heat waves),
    and then stepped out for some off-hand shots.

Getting good focus was still a challenge, but out of thirty pics taken, three were selected
    for processing, and this one was the only real keeper.

1/200s f/8.0 at 300.0mm iso160

Copernicus (at about the "9pm" spot) was very prominent tonight, as was Plato, the dark and shallow
    appearing crater a ways above Copernicus. As a reference, Plato is 104km x 104km in size.

The Moon will be in a much better position here on October 8th for the "CiC International
    Shoot the Moon
    " event. Be sure to mark your calenders and prepare to take a few
    moonshots for the occasion!.

Mike
    Last edited by Dizzy; 8th September 2011 at 06:19 AM.

Real Name
    Steaphany

Re: Tonights Moon (Sept. 7th)

Looks like you got the exposure right where you needed it to be

Real Name
    Christopher Hotton

Great moon shot Mike. 8th October is my birthday and I shall be in North Wales, so will have made a diary note to look out for the moon.

Real Name
    Tommy

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisH View Post
    Great moon shot Mike. 8th October is my birthday and I shall be in North Wales, so will have made a diary note to look out for the moon.
    Hey Chris, where in North Wales are you going? I am from North Wales!

@Mike - look how much your moon shat has improved since the first few you posted here. Great shot! Although I reckon you could still sharpen it a tad more!

Real Name
    Mike

Quote Originally Posted by RockNGoalStar View Post
    @Mike - look how much your moon shat has improved since the first few you posted here. Great shot! Although I reckon you could still sharpen it a tad more!
    Having the Lightroom 3 seems to be the biggest part of the improvement. The Nx2 is now
    only for initial sorting of the NEF images, and isn't used for PP at all. The differences in
    performance of the two programs is phenomenal.

Told my wife last night that you would be telling me to add more sharpening or contrast...

Truth is, that is about 5% shy of 100% of the available "sharpening" slider in Lightroom, with
    just enough Luminance added in to take off the nasty rough edges. Is there another area
    where I can add additional sharpening, and not add substantial amounts of noise to go with it?
    Last edited by Dizzy; 8th September 2011 at 04:54 PM.

Real Name
    John Wright

Looks fine to me,Mike. What are you going to do evenings if the Elk move on ?

Real Name
    Tommy

Quote Originally Posted by Dizzy View Post
    Told my wife last night that you would be telling me to add more sharpening or contrast...
    I find that surreal that someone on the other side of the world to me, whom I've never met is talking about me to their wife

And I did only say a tiny bit of sharpening...

Quote Originally Posted by Dizzy View Post
    Truth is, that is about 5% shy of 100% of the available "sharpening" slider in Lightroom, with
    just enough Luminance added in to take off the nasty rough edges. Is there another area
    where I can add additional sharpening, and not add substantial amounts of noise to go with it?
    Not so sure about Lightroom. I use Photoshop, but I think the sliders are similar. i pushed the amount slider up to around 150 and the radius down to 0.6 and came up with this. I also selected the moon and painted out the halo that encircled it just to make it a bit crisper.

Here's yours for comparison, because the difference is so slight in the end (Perhaps so slight that most people will not think it was worth it! But I think it is.)

Last edited by RockNGoalStar; 9th September 2011 at 09:01 AM.

Real Name
    Mike

I find that surreal that someone on the other side of the world to me,
    whom I've never met is talking about me to their wife
    Welcome to the 21st century...... Tonights Moon (Sept. 7th)

Actually, her desk sits behind mine here in the office, and it wasn't so much said to her
    as it was me muttering to myself about how I was sure you would suggest adding more
    contrast and sharpening. Even in another country and an ocean away, people can still be
    predictable....Tonights Moon (Sept. 7th)

And I did only say a tiny bit of sharpening...
    Not so sure about Lightroom. I use Photoshop, but I think the sliders are similar.
    i pushed the amount slider up to around 150 and the radius down to 0.6 and came
    up with this. I also selected the moon and painted out the halo that encircled it just
    to make it a bit crisper.
    I do see the differences in your version, as it adds a bit more contrast/definition to the
    craters. There is a section in Lightroom to remove CA and I messed with it some, but
    I'm afraid it's going to take me a bit to understand it well enough to get benefit from it.

Only had the program a week, so allow me a little time to catch up....

Real Name
    Richard

I did not photograph the moon last night although that would have been an absolute great time in Southern California because the atmosphere was bell clear

AND THE LIGHTS WERE OUT!

We had a massive power outage in the Southwest qualdrant of the USA. Southern California, Arizona and parts of New Mexico as well as Northern Baja California were without power or lights. That means that there wasn't any light polution from the millions of homes and hundreds of thousands of commercial and street lights.

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Quote Originally Posted by rpcrowe View Post
    We had a massive power outage in the Southwest qualdrant of the USA. Southern California, Arizona and parts of New Mexico as well as Northern Baja California were without power or lights.
    Richard - didn't hear about that over here. What happened to the crime figures? Sorry - It's just the way I think!