Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Clevedon Pier

Real Name
    John Wright

Clevedon Pier

Clevedon is on the River Severn(Bristol Channel) south of Bristol. I went on Friday evening hoping to catch the sunset -but due to failing to appreciate it's holiday season went to another nearby pier first - at Western-Super-Mare- and got caught up in 'the hoards' and by the time we got to Cleveland missed the small window of opportunity of the setting sun before it dropped below the cloud bank but not to be totally defeated I took these shots as darkness came. I expect they could be improved in editing somehow-I tried Tone curves on the last two.

f11 .8 sec. ISO 100
    Clevedon Pier

f22 30 seconds. ISO 100
    Clevedon Pier

f16 3 minutes ISO 100
    Clevedon Pier

Real Name
    Bobo

Re: Clevedon Pier

All are beautiful shots. Pic 1 is my favourite.

Real Name
    Christopher Hotton

All are nice shots John, but I prefer the first one. This is one of the few piers left in tact on our coastline and a fine piece of Victoriana.

Real Name
    John Wright

Thanks both.

Yes Chris..like stepping back in time. Western has a pier too but I didn't get a proper look at it.

Real Name
    Ian

I have seen pictures of this pier many times and visited there years ago before it was revamped. As such I rather like No. 3 as it is a less usual angle for shots of this particular pier, and I do like night shots

Real Name
    John Wright

Thanks,Ian. I'll be back and see what other shots I can get that are different, maybe get right under the pier,I'm not sure how far the tide goes out though.Sepia might work well too when taken at the right time.

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

Hey John,

Your model has lovely legs
    (I wonder if that'll attract readers

No seriously, I don't think I have seen (read "noticed") a pier with such delicate, angled and ornate legs.
    The legs struck me in #3, so that has to be my favourite, but I like all three shots for different reasons; sky, lights and legs respectively.

Your horizon isn't level in #1 though

Cheers,

Real Name
    Keith

Three nice shots but #3 is my favourite

Deep in the heart of Texas and Fort Wayne Indiana
    Real Name
    Kristianna-Marie - I listen to Kris too.....

Definitely #3

Real Name
    John Wright

Many thanks.

lol..Dave, I'm looking very hard at the horizon - I thought .'must make sure the horizons are straight 'cos if they're not that Dave will,for sure, spot one if it's not' Lol. Number 1 wasn't straight originally and I thought I'd sorted it but not so..I've just studied it again and, yes.. it's slightly out - left side down (or right side up).

I wondered if I could find an explanation for the shape of the supports and this is what I found. It was opened in 1869 btw.

Quote...

'Some years before this bridge was built Isambard Kingdom Brunel had introduced a new 'Barlow' rail system to the South Wales Railway but the project failed and the track was pulled up.Seeing the potential of this versatile and very strong material the Clevedon pier designers took advantage of an opportunity to purchase a stock of these rails. Using them bolted together in pairs ,they worked them into slim, elegant curved arches that give the pier its graceful outline,making the structure one of the county's (Somerset) most notable landmarks.

Not many people know that A humorous phrase only appreciated by us here in the UK.

Real Name
    Mike

John,

Not sure how I missed the thread Clevedon Pier, but glad it popped back up again!

As a big fan of bridges and piers, I like them all.

The blurred, waving flag is honestly a bit of a distraction, as it draws my eyes back from the
    end of the pier. Otherwise, as Dave so eloquently expressed, it appears as a very graceful
    looking pier with a great deal of character.

Mike

Real Name
    John Wright

No worries,Mike. So many threads are posted you have to be on your toes to keep up, I've wanted to find certain threads and haven't been able to. Glad you liked it. It's a funny old thing this personal taste. I was going to clone out that flag and a friend, who is very good at photography, said he thought it should stay in to show it's 'live' (for 'live' read windy) I'll take it out ..we were right .Lol.

Real Name
    Ken Outch

All good. Like number 3 the best. Liked the way the line of the pier, its lights and reflections drew my eye to the central intersection with the lights on the horizon. Nicely balanced and crisp. Didn't find the flag in #1 too much to fuss about. Barely noticed it in the overall scheme of things. In fact missed it first time around before reading posts. As for #3? Sort of shot I would be happy to claim as one of mine!
    ucci

#3 for me too. Nice lines and colours.