Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: October 8th - A reason to pull out your long lenses

Real Name
    Steaphany

October 8th - A reason to pull out your long lenses

Well, I doubt many here need more reasons to take photos, but here is one anyway:

International Observe the Moon Night - October 8th

http://observethemoonnight.org/

International Observe the Moon Night on facebook

Maybe we should submit a CiC international event of our own on the http://observethemoonnight.org/ web site
    That may bring even more photographers here
    Last edited by Donald; 2nd September 2011 at 04:12 PM.

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Re: October 8th - A reason to pull out your long lenses

Steaphany

Great to see you posting. I missed your last couple of posts and was wondering where you were.

Your thread is really interesting. There was a discussion (was it just last week) when it was suggested that folks from around the world on here should all shoot the moon on the evening (their time) of one particular day.

Don't think anyone finally nailed a day on that one. Well, here's the answer for you all. Go for it.

Real Name
    Mike

Great video Steaphany, thanks for sharing that and the links to "International Observe the
    Moon Night" .

I was a bit concerned at first, as the pic shows a supposed Apollo 11 module, and that level of
    magnification is simply not possible with any telescope existing today.

http://www.tass-survey.org/richmond/...ar_lander.html

We can however see an awful lot of detail on the Moon with just binoculars, and the clear skies of
    Autumn offer some great views.

For anyone wanting to know which craters/features they are looking at on the Moon, The Virtual
    Moon Atlas is a superb bit of free software, and it is available in a "light" version that is more than
    sufficient for most applications. http://www.ap-i.net/avl/en/start

Donald: Oct. 8th is nearly a full moon (85% full), and it would indeed be a good night for the "CiC
    Universal Moon shot". Only concern is if there will be a sufficient terminator line present to give
    definition to so many of the features that can be seen along it. If the weather gods are kind,
    everyone [worldwide] should have a decent chance for a nice image.

Real Name
    Steaphany

Quote Originally Posted by Donald View Post
    Steaphany

Great to see you posting. I missed your last couple of posts and was wondering where you were.
    Hi Donald,

I've been about, but here in Texas experiencing in excess of two months straight of bright sunny days, every single day, combined with day time temperatures being at or above 38°C, 100°F, evening temperatures being around 32°C, 90°F, and not a drop of rain the entire time ( Hey, it sounds like I'm describing Australia ), I haven't been quite in the mood to head out with my camera. I'm sure many here on CiC heard of the bush fires down by Possum Kingdom Lake. The area is about 32 km, 20 miles, or so South of my ranch and that area was hit twice this Summer with major fires. When the winds directed the smoke in my direction, the sun light reaching the ground was Orange, as what you'd see if you were shooting color or looking through a Type G B&W filter.

My real concern on my ranch is the depletion of grazing for my Horses. Whether or not being in the worst drought of the past 40 years, the heat has been so relentless that the pasture grasses can't grow. I'm hoping that the Autumn wet and cooler temperatures will provide enough grazing to hold my Horses through the Winter. At least I took preparations years back to ensure that there would be sufficient water.

Of course, with the economy in such a sorry state, I've been making sure my bills get paid which also means less time for photography. I haven't gotten around to purchasing a hardened camera for my "Equine Photographer" project yet, but I figure that would take a full year long shooting period to compile sufficient photography to put the collection together into a publishable book.

On the bright side, I did have a video production company working on a project to be broadcast on the BBC and the Discovery Channel gain interest in my time lapse for a short on meteorology. So, I'm officially a paid professional documentary photographer. ( Due to their small budget, I wasn't paid much, but at least my work is officially out there. )
    Last edited by Steaphany; 5th September 2011 at 01:28 PM. Reason: Typo

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Quote Originally Posted by Steaphany View Post
    On the bright side, I did have a video production company working on a project to be broadcast on the BBC and the Discovery Channel gain interest in my time lapse for a short on meteorology. So, I'm officially a paid professional documentary photographer. ( Due to their small budget, I wasn't paid much, but at least my work is officially out there. )
    That's wonderful. Congratulations.

And that is a wonderful piece of work.

Real Name
    Ian

As it is now 2nd October, perhaps time for a reminder.

Has anyone got a long enough lens to spot that Hasselblad that NASA carelesslessly left lying around up there. Exchanged for a bag of rocks!

Real Name
    Have a guess :)

Quote Originally Posted by shreds View Post
    As it is now 2nd October, perhaps time for a reminder.

Has anyone got a long enough lens to spot that Hasselblad that NASA carelesslessly left lying around up there. Exchanged for a bag of rocks!
    There sure were some facinating stories from the Apollo days <insert nostalgic emoticon!> Some time back I purchased the audio book Magnificent Desolation (Buzz Aldrin's story) - simply amazing piece of history. How's this for Murphy's law ... there they were in the lunar lander - on the surface of the moon. They accidentally snagged and broke just one of the many circuit breakers -- as lick would have it, it was the one that armed the ascent engine

Real Name
    Steaphany

As they were landing you can here one call out the computer fault codes indicating that their pocket calculator scale computer failing to keep up with data flow and crashing. Neil Armstrong had to take manual control to land with just seconds of fuel left.

Hmmm, after all these years of thermal cycling, I wonder if that Hasselblad still works.

I'm ready and looking forward to the InOMN ( I've listed CiC's participation and we're no longer at the bottom of the list ) and The CiC Universal "Shoot the Moon" Event - October 8th!

Real Name
    Have a guess :)

As they were landing you can here one call out the computer fault codes indicating that their pocket calculator scale computer failing to keep up with data flow and crashing.
    ... Mostly because Aldrin left the rendezvous radar switched on which - when combined with the data from the radar altimeter - overloaded the 'computer'

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

( I've listed CiC's participation and we're no longer at the bottom of the list )
    Steaphany - That's brilliant. Well done.

Real Name
    Steaphany