Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Jetty at Sunrise

Real Name
    Dave Ellis

Jetty at Sunrise

Yesterday I made my first serious attempt at sunrise shots over Moreton Bay. It required a 4:30 start and a 45min drive to get there in time. C&C welcome.

Cheers Dave

5:53AM
    Jetty at Sunrise

6:10AM
    Jetty at Sunrise

6:20AM
    Jetty at Sunrise
    Last edited by dje; 31st August 2011 at 07:38 AM.

Real Name
    Steve

Re: Jetty at Sunrise

Nice shots Dave.
    The first one is the winner for me because the horizon is not in the middle of the image, the composition just looks better to me with a bit of foreground detail too.

The one thing that I think slightly spoils all three is the street lamps. I would be inclined to clone them out but I know others prefer to keep an image as they actually saw it.

Number three is very nice lighting with the sun hitting the side of the jetty. If you can't sleep again on nice morning it would be good to see that shot from a lower perspective.

Cheers
    Steve

Real Name
    Dave Ellis

Quote Originally Posted by stevewe88 View Post
    Nice shots Dave.
    The first one is the winner for me because the horizon is not in the middle of the image, the composition just looks better to me with a bit of foreground detail too.

The one thing that I think slightly spoils all three is the street lamps. I would be inclined to clone them out but I know others prefer to keep an image as they actually saw it.

Number three is very nice lighting with the sun hitting the side of the jetty. If you can't sleep again on nice morning it would be good to see that shot from a lower perspective.

Cheers
    Steve
    Steve thanks for your comments. I know what you mean about the composition of the first. It would have been nice to have the sun from shot 2 in the first shot !

When I arrived on site it was still dark and the first thing I saw were the lights on the jetty and my reaction was ..... well you know.

I'll take on your suggestion about the lower angle on the third shot - I think this would be effective. However don't hold your breath waiting for this . As spring approaches, the weather will be warmer but the sunrise will also be earlier !

Cheers Dave

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Quote Originally Posted by dje View Post
    As spring approaches, the weather will be warmer but the sunrise will also be earlier !
    I know, but the kick you get out of being the only one up and about and getting to see the brilliant views, is wonderful. I get a huge buzz out of it. Makes you feel really alive. Like last weekend when I was going for the Forth Bridge shots that I posted up.

I love the light on the third one above. A bit of work, as Steve suggests, on the composition and you could have a real winner there.

Real Name
    Dave Ellis

Quote Originally Posted by Donald View Post
    I know, but the kick you get out of being the only one up and about and getting to see the brilliant views, is wonderful. I get a huge buzz out of it. Makes you feel really alive. Like last weekend when I was going for the Forth Bridge shots that I posted up.
    I know exactly what you mean Donald When I was leaving, the early morning walkers were just starting to appear !
    Last edited by Colin Southern; 30th August 2011 at 08:50 AM.

Real Name
    Have a guess :)

I'll take on your suggestion about the lower angle on the third shot - I think this would be effective. However don't hold your breath waiting for this . As spring approaches, the weather will be warmer but the sunrise will also be earlier !
    Stop being a whimp and just go and do it

The photo lasts forever - the pain & discomfort are only temporary.

Just to give you an idea of what a lower perspective might do, I shot this whilst standing in about 3 feet of water (wearing (leaking) waders) - under a walkway - whilst idiots on the shore shouted to mates on a jetski "get the camera man get the camera man" (they even dropped a big rock from the walkway so it splashed salt water on all my equipment).

But I got the shot - and now it's mine

Jetty at Sunrise

Real Name
    Dave Ellis

Quote Originally Posted by Colin Southern View Post
    Stop being a whimp and just go and do it

The photo lasts forever - the pain & discomfort are only temporary.

Just to give you an idea of what a lower perspective might do, I shot this whilst standing in about 3 feet of water (wearing (leaking) waders) - under a walkway - whilst idiots on the shore shouted to mates on a jetski "get the camera man get the camera man" (they even dropped a big rock from the walkway so it splashed salt water on all my equipment).

But I got the shot - and now it's mine

Jetty at Sunrise
    Looks like I've been told. Okay, but I draw the line at waders and three feet of water. Actually I'd be just about halfway across the bay before I got to three feet of water at low tide !
    Last edited by dje; 30th August 2011 at 06:24 PM.

Real Name

Actually I'd be just about halfway across the bay before I got to three feet of water at low tide !
    Just don't get stuck in the mud like I almost did one day!

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Quote Originally Posted by Colin Southern View Post
    Just don't get stuck in the mud like I almost did one day!
    And then those of us executing the rescue would have to make a choice - Do we save the man or the gear?

Real Name
    Dave Ellis

And then those of us executing the rescue would have to make a choice - Do we save the man or the gear?
    Well I for one could do with a couple more lenses

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Well I for one could do with a couple more lenses
    Okay, as long as I can have his 24-70L.

Real Name

Okay, as long as I can have his 24-70L.
    With a bit of luck I'll be receiving a free EF24-70mm 2.8L IS USM from Canon any day now

(OK, ok, with a LOT of luck, but I'll keep my fingers crossed anyway) (I'd cross my toes too, but they're still stuck in the mud!)