Thread: Nikon D3000 Problems

Real Name
    Chase

Nikon D3000 Problems

I recently purchased a used D3000 and it takes excellent images if you know how to shoot a certain object. the problem I have with it is some sort of over exposure everything comes out Blown out in an Automatic setting. I find that if I shoot in shutter priority mode with a Aperture setting of about 100-200 and shutter speed of 500 to 1250 and I go in to exposure compensation and give it -1.0 I get a pretty good out come with it. I am trying to find what the problem might be has any one else become experienced with this camera. I have a Nikon D40x that is right on target with our Canon Rebel but this camera seems so dramatic compared to these others.
    Last edited by Colin Southern; 23rd August 2011 at 05:09 AM.

Real Name
    Have a guess :)

Re: Nikon D3000 Problems

It would be interesting to line it up alongside another camera with exactly the same (auto) settings - and exactly the same field of view, and see how they compare.

Real Name
    Chase

I will do that tomorrow and post the pics to see.

Real Name

Just be sure to leave the EXIF data intact.

Real Name
    Chase

As you can see the D3000 is way over exposed. I am wondering if there is a way to reset the firmware. I was not able to find an update for this particular model. The first pic is out of a Nikon D40x, the latter pic is out of the Nikon D3000

Nikon D3000 Problems
    Nikon D3000 Problems

Real Name

I've had a look at the EXIF data - basically - it's chosen F5.6 instead of F16, resulting in a 3-Stop over-exposure.

What to do ...

1. I'm wondering if the lens might have a stuck aperture - so perhaps try another lens if you can

2. 3 Stops of Exposure Compensation dialed in - although I couldn't see it in the EXIF data (might be worth double-checking anyway)

3. Camera fault - I think the idea of resetting the camera is a good one, although I can't give you any hints or tips as to how to do that (other owners might have a better idea) (a generic technique used to be to remove both main & backup batteries, but don't know if your camera has one).

Have you contacted Nikon service or the place you bought it from for advice?

Real Name
    Ron

Hei. I also use the Nikon D3000 and the results I get are usually OK, exposure wise. I think Colin's advise about resetting the camera to original settings is a good idea as a first check though I do not think that the usual resets of 'Set Up Options' or 'Shooting Options' will solve this problem. You will have a manual or cd with the camera (or you can download manual from Nikon) and this explains how to do the resets. Or I can detail line by line if needed.
    But there is also a 'final top level reset switch' under the connector cover which you can press. But again, it would be advisable to read the manual before doing any of these resets ... based on your past experience with Nikon I am sure that you are aware of all this in any case.

Real Name
    Chase

I did down load the Manual. I have found that at times the camera also leaves a lighter streak in the center of the images, But when inspecting with the naked eye there seam's to be no damage to the sensor.

Exposure compensation: the exposure compensation is the only way to get a clean pic out of it.usually around -.7 to -1.0 and an extremely fast shutter speed.

Reset: If any of you find or hear about a way to reset the OS in it before I do, then please inform me.

I have found this info helpful I will try some of the suggestions and get back to you..... thanx

Real Name
    Mike

Chase,

Here is detailed info from Nikon on how to do a full reset:

https://nikoneurope-en.custhelp.com/...fault-settings

Mike

Real Name

Quote Originally Posted by chase3311 View Post
    I have found this info helpful I will try some of the suggestions and get back to you..... thanx
    You're welcome -- looking forward to hearing how you get on.

I have had to do this a couple of times with my Nikons, Chase.

How to reset a D-SLR to factory default settings: https://nikoneurope-en.custhelp.com/...fault-settings

Real Name
    Chase

Thank you very much Viana. However what I am searching for is a way to reset the Firm ware on the camera.

If anyone could help in this department that would be helpful. As there are no updates available for this particular model. I purchased the Camera from a yard sale and it did not have the software disk with it. I am starting too think it might not be a bad purchase. input please!
    D-3000
    Last edited by chase3311; 21st November 2011 at 06:24 AM.