Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Golden Nights of Alexandria

Real Name
    Ahmed

Golden Nights of Alexandria

Golden Nights of Alexandria

This is a night photo for Satnly Bridge at Alexandria - Egypt.

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Re: Golden Nights of Alexandria

Ahmed

I am not an expert in night photography and, therefore, do not know all the challenges involved.

But I would make two points:
    I think the image requires a very slight counter-clockwise rotation. It feels as if it is lower on the right-hand side than it should be.

I also think that the very strong light under the bridge draws too much attention away from the rest of the scene.

Real Name
    Ahmed

Donlad,

Thanks for your comments. Regarding the 1st comment, I agree with you , the photo should be rotated counter colockwise a little. I will try to take care of this next time.

Also, the blue light under the bridge takes more attention, I cann't control that. Next time, I will try to take the photo from the other side of the bridge.

Ahmed

Real Name
    Frank Miller

Hi Ahmed, I like the composition but the image looks a bit bright to me for a night shot. If you are going back to shoot again, take several shots at different exposure levels. I've learned that it is very difficult to tell when shooting at night, if I have a good exposure. If I take multiple exposures of the same image, I can more easily determine which is best when I can view them side by side.

Real Name
    Robert S.

Hello Ahmed,

maybe try to take the picture just after sunset while there is still some light in the sky. You will get a deep blue sky on the picture instead of a black one. The dark roof areas on the bridge towers will be better visible and the lamp lights will not look that bright because you will need a smaller exposure time.

Bye
    Robert

Real Name
    Mike

Hi Ahmed,

It surely is a beautiful setting, and although I liked the purple accents that those spotlights lay on the water, I must agree with others that those lamps were just too intense.

I hope you do not mind, but I took the liberty of softening their effects somewhat purely in the interest of seeing how the image would display without the "spot" effect of the purple lamps. If you have any concern about my changes I will immediately delete the reprocessed image, but am hoping that you might consider other options besides taking the photograph without the lights present, as the purple on the water appears to me as a unique part of the "flavor" of that bridge. Considering that I am an absolute beginner at PP, there is no question that you can do much better than my meager efforts at the processing.

The idea was to make the purple light appear as if it was coming from underneath the bridge deck, rather than lamps mounted on the support pillars.

302qcy0l.jpg

[Edit: Changed the image with an improved version, and also made the slight counter-clockwise adjustment as suggested.]

Mike
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Dizzy; 15th August 2011 at 08:20 AM.

Real Name
    Ahmed

Thanks all for your comments. For sure, I will consider your recommendations on my next trial and show the results to you

Mike,

(1) how did make the counter clockwise adjustment? which software?

(2) I believe your reprocessing for the purple lamps makes the photo so artificial. I would be better to minimize the effect to those two lamp. In fact I don't know what is proper processing to reduce their effect.

Real Name
    John Wright

It's an attractive scene and the softening has made a good improvement. Your crop tool should have a leveller incorporated-like a spirit level.