Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

View Poll Results: Which Image I should go for?

Voters
20. You may not vote on this poll
  • Image 1

8 40.00%
  • Image 2

1 5.00%
  • Image 3

12 60.00%
  • Image 4

6 30.00%
  • NONE! Learn to hold the camera first!

1 5.00%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Exhibition Related Suggestions!

Real Name
    Sahil Jain

Exhibition Related Suggestions!

Hi!
    Our Local photography club is holding an exhibition on World's Photography Day (19th August)
    I have to give 2 of my shots for the same. I am not able to decide which ones to give. I need your valuable suggestions for the same.

Here are the ones I have shortlisted.

Image 1

Image 2

Image 3

Image 4

Here is my previous processing of the above image... I feel there is an improvement this time.

Thanks for your suggestions, in advance.

Real Name
    Jeroen

Re: Exhibition Related Suggestions!

Hi Sahil,

Will there be a theme for the exhibition? Or is it just exposing members work? As much as I like #4 I think #1 would do better in an random exhibition. It shows a great view from you and I think the subject would attract people much more than #4 would.

Real Name
    Sahil Jain

Hey Jeroen,
    Thanks for your inputs.
    No, there isn't any specific theme for the exhibition.
    Even my personal favs are #1 & #4...

Real Name
    Willie or Jiro is fine by me.

#1 and #4 for me, too Sahil.

Real Name
    Sahil Jain

Thanks, Jiro

PS:- My ACR needed to be updated for the new camera & it wasn't being very supportive. Bugged me for two days. I am finally done with it. Will post my new camera pictures tomorrow. (its 23:20, Tuesday night here)

Real Name
    Brian

Quote Originally Posted by JK6065 View Post
    Hi Sahil,

Will there be a theme for the exhibition? Or is it just exposing members work? As much as I like #4 I think #1 would do better in an random exhibition. It shows a great view from you and I think the subject would attract people much more than #4 would.
    What he said!

Real Name
    Bill S

I am going to buck the trend here and say that I am not a fan of #1. I saw this image the first time you shared it, and what really struck me was the inescapable feeling that there was a foot coming out of that baby's head. The placement of those two images in the composite just doesn't sit well in my head. But apparently that's just me.

I voted for #3 (and apparently someone agrees with me) - the colors and textures just really allow me to explore the image. The background is a little confusing, but I don't get too hung up on that. If you think it is distracting, I believe there are possible crops that would fix it.

I see the appeal of #4, but even with being a diver and regularly getting that kind of view of a scene, I can't help but feel that there's no anchor point. It almost brings about a feeling of being adrift at sea - and if that is the desired effect, then go with it. However, I am also not a huge fan of that sky... Sorry - I don't mean to rain on your parade.

I think you've had more powerful images, Sahil. I need to run out for a bit, and when I get back, I will try and see if I can locate one or two I would suggest if you don't mind.

- Bill

Real Name
    John

I think any of the images in #1 could stand on their own.

Real Name
    Dave Ellis

Hi Sahil

I'm with Bill on this one, I think #3 is the best. Love the lighting and the colours.

Cheers Dave

Real Name
    Kay

I would go with # 1 but then I love babies - maybe try and swap position of the head and foot and see what that dies?

Hi, Sahil! Just a comment, I like the original version of the last photo, better. The hills are lighter and my eye knows just where to look first. In other words, there's a hook - it hooks me in. Also, it gives the image a stronger focal point - the amazing texture in the slopes of the hills - beautiful! Then, I go through the rest of the image. In the revised version - it's just very dark. Now, you know, what do I know? But, that's what I see.

edit: you know, "haste makes waste" and these are just quick impressions. If I took more time to study it all, I might change my mind.

Oh, dear, I really have to go, right now. Just a thought about the mosaic. My sister, the artist, gave me a wonderful two hour lesson on mosaics, once. The basic gist was to have leading lines. The lines from each frame should lead to the other. For example, the edge of the blanket leads up and around. You know, it needs another frame - that's it!!! I'd seen this before and didn't know what to say. Maybe, even two more frames. i.e. One up top and one on the bottom and it shouldn't be of the baby but something related - a wisp of baby's breath or something that brings contrast in texture (or color or whatever you want) but brings unity. Of course, you can do whatEVER you want to do.

Real Name
    George Montgomery

I love number 3...

Real Name
    Lon Howard

Hello Sahil! I also just voted for #3. I would vote for #1 if it was a PJ theme but the composite leaves me wondering where to focus. #2 Has nice color and detail, but the drab sky detracts from that. I agree with Katy about #4, I liked the prior processing because it has more detail ... I might try cropping out most of the sky and going with a pano.

#3 Is lovely and for me it would have a ton more impact if about 20% was cropped off the top ... there's nothing going on up there and it takes my eye away from that beautiful glass. The brightness up there also competes with the light on the chair armrest (is that what it is?) at the bottom. Very nice work there.
    Last edited by Lon Howard; 10th August 2011 at 03:43 AM.

Real Name
    Philip

Sahil, number 3 is my favourite - the glass is wonderful - but I agree with others that the background is a little distracting.

My other selection would be number 1. On my screen, the colours of this image seem rather pale, but maybe that is your intention. (Perhaps the monochrome enthusiasts here could comment on whether this image would work well as a b/w conversion?)

Philip

Real Name
    Sahil Jain

You guys are most helpful.. I am out of my city at client's place. Will reply as soon as I get back home.. Thanks a tonne everyone

Real Name
    Brian

Quote Originally Posted by Sahil View Post
    You guys are most helpful.. I am out of my city at client's place. Will reply as soon as I get back home.. Thanks a tonne everyone
    That's pretty cool. I have never been thanked a metric tonne before
    Neat.

Real Name
    Sahil Jain

Quote Originally Posted by Brian
    What he said!
    ok..

Quote Originally Posted by Bill
    what really struck me was the inescapable feeling that there was a foot coming out of that baby's head.
    I never thought of it like that, but since when you have mentioned it, I totally agree with you
    But surprisingly not many other people have given the same feedback

However, I am also not a huge fan of that sky
    Quote Originally Posted by Lon
    #4, I liked the prior processing because it has more detail ... I might try cropping out most of the sky and going with a pano.
    Umm, yea, May be I can crop it a bit.

Sorry - I don't mean to rain on your parade.
    Come on. I am absolutely ok with it . All the inputs are very helpful... Always....

I will try and see if I can locate one or two I would suggest if you don't mind.
    That would be great... But I have to submit it tomorrow I guess

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowman
    I think any of the images in #1 could stand on their own.
    That was the initial Idea, John. I loved the images in camera... But when I looked them individually they didn't appeal me at all
    So I came up with this & to be very honest I just love that Mosaic. But again, I agree with all the feed backs I have got pertaining to it.

Quote Originally Posted by Kay
    maybe try and swap position of the head and foot and see what that dies?
    Ummm, I am afraid it won't really work
    Then it would look as if her face is being kicked

Quote Originally Posted by Katy
    it's just very dark.
    Hmmm I will make it a little more brighter. Thanks
    And yea, I will see what I can do with the number 1.

Quote Originally Posted by Georgem
    I love number 3...

Quote Originally Posted by Lon
    but the drab sky detracts from that
    Ummm the sky initially was absolutely white, so I 'put' this sky.. I wanted to keep it as simple as possible...

Quote Originally Posted by MrB
    On my screen, the colours of this image seem rather pale, but maybe that is your intention.
    Yes, Philip. Its intentional.

Real Name
    Sahil Jain

Quote Originally Posted by speedneeder View Post
    That's pretty cool. I have never been thanked a metric tonne before
    Neat.
    Looks like your lucky day today

Quote Originally Posted by Sahil View Post
    That was the initial Idea, John. I loved the images in camera... But when I looked them individually they didn't appeal me at all

So I came up with this & to be very honest I just love that Mosaic. But again, I agree with all the feed backs I have got pertaining to it.

Ummm, I am afraid it won't really work
    Then it would look as if her face is being kicked
    Sahil, (before you go back offline) I'm off to look for an example of what I mean - it's only fair. On the other hand, you're possibly thinking, "dang people, I have to submit it, tomorrow!" Do you mind? Well, I just will find something and you can do what you want with it.

The color on that first one is lovely - very fitting to the soft and gentle subject. The individual photos are adorable, too. There's good stuff in all of these choices!

Oh, flapdoodle - of course, now, I can't find anything but this one - it's an idea to separate the foot and the head. Sahil, honestly I hope that you don't mind the fuss - it's no big deal. I think that, even though our comments are good and very adult and worthy, you've brought out the mother hens in us, too. Suddenly, we're trying to get the smudge off the little boy's cheek and slick down his hair....I surely hope that you know what I mean. I mean, we're excited for you!

Photo is from Mary Carroll Photography

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast