Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: batch raw to jpg

Real Name
    Rod

batch raw to jpg

Does anyone know how I can select multiple raw images and convert the lot to jpg, rather than doing so individually?

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Re: batch raw to jpg

Rod

What software are you using to process the images? If you're using DxO Optics Pro, I can help. If not, then we need to wait for some others to come along.

Real Name
    Steve

It is quite simple in Bridge.

Select the files, tools, photoshop, image processor.

I would think light room works very similar too.

Real Name
    Dave

Hi Rod, Do you use a Canon ? If so you can batch process them in DPP, from RAW to JPEG

Real Name
    Frank Miller

Hi Rod, if you have Lightroom, converting images in batch is a basic Import/Export function.

Real Name
    Dariusz Kowalczyk

You can use IrfanView as well:
    File - Batch Conversion/Rename
    or
    Thumbnails - ...
    Not proffessional but free.

While there are ways of doing this, Rod, I wonder why you want to do a batch conversion.

For me, every photo is an individual item and Raw Conversion is the fist stage in creating a 'hand crafted' item which is personally tailored to give the best possible result.

Always do as much editing as possible while your images are in the Raw state.

Or do you have edited images which are retained in the Raw state after editing and you then need to convert to jpeg for another specific purpose?

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Geoff

I think maybe Rod is thinking about those situations where you do a big shoot (e.g. same location at a wedding) where all the important factors are the same and what you want to do is apply all the same pp actions and then batch process the lot. As you suggest, it's maybe not the route you want to go with your fine art images where each is highly individual. But, if you're working to a deadline and need to 'produce-the-goods', then it's a mighty useful tool.

Real Name
    Have a guess :)

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff F View Post
    For me, every photo is an individual item and Raw Conversion is the fist stage in creating a 'hand crafted' item which is personally tailored to give the best possible result.
    Hi Geoff,

In a studio situation, often all the shots need the same adjustments. In Bridge I'll usually adjust one shot and then apply those changes to every shot taken after the one I've just adjusted ... then just flick through the shots below the adjusted one - and if any changes are needed, repeat the process.

That way any lighting changes are applied to everything subsequent, and it makes handling several hundred images pretty efficient, but without compromising individual adjustments.

Real Name
    Rod

Cheers for the replies all, The reason I want to batch convert ( I'm using Photoshop cs5 and Lightroom 3 btw) these images is because I have about 300 pictures that I took at a brain injury function, I did what Colin does and batch processed them and went through them to touch up individually and now want to convert the lot at the same time to jpg. I'm not being paid for this work and the pictures aren't being published in any way so I don't want to spend too much time on them.

Real Name

Quote Originally Posted by mrrod View Post
    Cheers for the replies all, The reason I want to batch convert ( I'm using Photoshop cs5 and Lightroom 3 btw) these images is because I have about 300 pictures that I took at a brain injury function, I did what Colin does and batch processed them lightly and went through them to touch up individually and now want to convert the lot at the same time to jpg. I'm not being paid for this work and the pictures aren't being published in any way so I don't want to spend too much time on them.
    Hi Rod,

If you select them all in Bridge, they'll all appear in ACR - and from there you can just click "Save Images" at the bottom - just make sure you set the size and colourspace before hand though.

Real Name
    Debbie

Quote Originally Posted by Colin Southern View Post
    Hi Rod,

If you select them all in Bridge, they'll all appear in ACR - and from there you can just click "Save Images" at the bottom - just make sure you set the size and colourspace before hand though.

Wow, thanks Colin, I have just learnt something new.

Deb

Real Name

Quote Originally Posted by wommby View Post
    Wow, thanks Colin, I have just learnt something new.

Deb
    You're welcome

It's a handy feature -- just be sure to change it back before working on your next image. I got 1/2 hour into an edit before thinking "gosh, doesn't appear to be a lot of detail here" ... Doh! - still set for a low-res

Real Name
    Debbie

Colin,

What is it that I have to change back???

Deb

Real Name

Quote Originally Posted by wommby View Post
    Colin,

What is it that I have to change back???

Deb
    Hi Deb,

Just go back into ACR - click the settings link at the bottom - and make sure that it's set to what you want (in particular, make sure that it's not set to down-size the files or apply sharpening when you open them).

Real Name
    Debbie

Cheers Colin - have checked that and all is fine.

Deb