Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Rebellion(My new toy)

Rebellion(My new toy)

The following photos are a pictorial record of the construction of my 5 inch by 4 inch folding flatbed field camera, starting from the materials used the tool required through to finally to an image form the camera this build was undertaken as a rebellion against the march of technology and the ludicrous prices charged by the camera companies. The total cost of this camera so far is £ 36.00 plus 6 cans of ale.

The lens used is a magnifying glass with a focal length of 190 mm (aprox) the aperture is set by changing disks with a known hole size and the f-stop is calculated by
    dividing the bellows extension by the known hole size.

Rebellion(My new toy)

A larger size of the above contact sheet can be seen at this link

https://files.me.com/jwrevie/40joke

John

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Re: Rebellion(My new toy)

John - You're a braver man than I. Well done. And it works!

Absolutely brilliant! I wish that I was clever enough to do something that fun - honestly!

Real Name
    Dave

John:

Much applause from me for having the skill, resourcefulness and craftsmanship to conceive and complete the construction of such a beautiful piece of equipment. I think that's very impressive. Well done.

Along the same lines I saw 'on't telly' a program about a guy who built an underwater pinhole camera. Somewhat more utilitarian looking than yours and perhaps not the sort of device that would grace the corner of one's den but, I thought, very impressive.

Link http://www.donaldlawrence.ca/UnderwaterPinhole.html

Dave D
    Last edited by accystan; 22nd August 2011 at 05:11 PM.

Real Name
    Keith

Excellent work John and full marks for your skill and dtermination. I assume you're going to coat and develop your own glass plates in protest to the ludicrously high cost of sheet film and processing? - only kidding sir although I'm not sure you've done much to counter the charge of the allegedly 'tight' Scotsmen.

Real Name
    Brian

36 pounds!?
    I suspect your labor force is drastically under paid and does not receive any health or retirement benefits.
    Also, don't forget sales, marketing, and distribution in your final costs.

Real Name
    Mark Fleming

John,

This is so cool I've shared it on facebook and twitter. Hope you don't mind. This is proper top mate.