Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Very First Pic With New Lens

Real Name
    Andrew

Very First Pic With New Lens

I just picked up a new wide angle lens this afternoon, and took it to the lake with me tonight. This was the very first picture I took. I think I like it - now I've got critique on my b+w photos, and my macro photos, I'd like to get some honest c+c on my wide angle shots as well. Thanks for your time!!
    Very First Pic With New Lens

Real Name
    Frank Miller

Re: Very First Pic With New Lens

Hi Andrew, nice sparkle on the water! You probably saw that you are getting lens flair. You might want to remove any filters you are using (other than a circular polarizing filter) when shooting directly into the sun and see if that corrects it.

Real Name
    Richard

One thing that I like to include when using a UWA lens is a significant foreground subject such as a rock, bush, etc. This adds depth and, IMO, interest to most UWA shots...

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Andrew

When you say 'wide-angle' - what exactly do you mean? What lens is you have i.e. what is the focal length/range?

Real Name
    Tommy

Quote Originally Posted by Donald View Post
    Andrew

When you say 'wide-angle' - what exactly do you mean? What lens is you have i.e. what is the focal length/range?
    This was taken at 11mm

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Thanks Tommy

I've just migrated from Firefox to Google Chrome (because of the major problems I've been having with the speed with which FF was rendering the CIC forum). I hate to admit it but Chrome is so much better.

Anyway, I'm still trying to find the right EXIF reader to download. I downloaded one and it gives me everything except the focal length at which the image was shot, which is a bit useless.

EDIT
    Just dowloaded Jeffrey's and it works fine.

Andrew - is that the Tokina 11-16 f2.8 you have? If so, hello and welcome to the club. I love it.

I would totally agree with Richard's comment above re foreground. I think that's what a UWA is all about and we must never think of it as a good way just to get more into the frame than we would with a standard length lens. It is a unique tool for producing unique images. I've spent more time lying flat on my stomach since I got the 11-16 than I have for years. And example is here. That rock in front is about 3 to 4 inches in front of the lens.
    Last edited by Donald; 11th August 2011 at 08:58 AM.

Real Name
    Tommy

Quote Originally Posted by Donald View Post
    I've spent more time lying flat on my stomach since I got the 11-16 than I have for years. And example is here. That rock in front is about 3 to 4 inches in front of the lens.
    And boy was it worth it! Even if you did have to spend the next few hours plucking shards of rock and gravel out of your chest

Real Name
    Tommy

PS The Tokina produces much nicer sun stars than the Sigma 10-20 does. I wish I'd known that before I bought the Sigma

Real Name
    Andrew

Thanks for the advice everyone! And, @ Donald, yes, it is that lens! I think I'm going to love it too! So, far, it's been tons of fun!!

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

Not bad for a first go Andrew

I was researching lenses like this last night and decided this was probably the best to go for, just a shame it won't AF on my Nikon body

Cheers,