Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: No focus point

Real Name
    Kenny

No focus point

This is one of the photos I took at an abandoned movie theater recently. With nothing but a LED flashlight, I found the 450D is a real pain to focus in complete darkness. It took about an hour to get 5 or 6 photos done with acceptable focus. But... the one I liked the most from this shoot is this one, where pretty much nothing is in focus. Any opinions?

No focus point

Real Name
    Bill S

Re: No focus point

Kenny,

Welcome to CiC.

Do you happen to have a larger version to share? That one is just a bit too small to really see much of anything, but I am certainly intrigued to see what you have there!

A thought on your focusing would be to use manual focus. Shine your flashlight on the subject you want in focus and manually focus, then take your shot.

- Bill

Real Name
    Kenny

Re: No focus point

Quote Originally Posted by ktuli View Post
    Kenny,

Welcome to CiC.

Do you happen to have a larger version to share? That one is just a bit too small to really see much of anything, but I am certainly intrigued to see what you have there!

A thought on your focusing would be to use manual focus. Shine your flashlight on the subject you want in focus and manually focus, then take your shot.

- Bill
    Thanks Bill.

I still have the RAW, but I'll need to re-edit as I mistakenly thought Lightroom saves RAW with edited data (after moving them around). I'll try recreate my edit on Sat.

I tried to manually focus, too, but you cannot see enough through the viewfinder. These were done with my friend holding up a piece of white board at the focus point and autofocusing on that before switching to MF and taking the shot. My friend's Pentax did a great job in the same light, I was amazed.

For reference, here is one that came out focused where I wanted it, but I prefer the unfocused shot for some reason, can't say why.

No focus point