Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Framing Photos

Real Name
    Andrew

Framing Photos

Hey, I just have a quick question, that I'm sure is as much personal preference as all photography and art is.

If you're submitting a photo for a competition, say an 8x10, does framing it with a border have any effect on the viewers eye? I always like the idea of full, edge-to-edge photos, so I've never tried adding the border, but I do see a lot of people on CiC doing it, and I think it looks good - also, adding copyright/signature within the border instead of ruining the photo.

Any ideas??

Real Name
    Dave Ellis

Re: Framing Photos

Hi Andrew

I guess in a competition you are looking for maximum impact on the judges and I think a suitable border/frame can give a bit of a lift to some images in particular. eg macro flowers or panoramic landscapes. A drop shadow border works quite well on landscapes I think. The border should be simple and has to suit the image. A lot of the borders available in Photoshop are a bit over the top IMO.

The other thing is that more and more we are displaying/viewing our images on electronic devices. In the "old days" when we displayed them in a picture frame on the mantle piece they were dressed with a frame anyway.

Cheers Dave

Real Name
    Tommy

Personally I prefer a simple white or black border on pics. I feel it just makes them stand out a little more.

Real Name
    John

I personally would go without the frame but sometimes it justs adds to the image. See #4 in this link. If used constructively a frame can enhance an image.

traveling.. most pics taken going 30 - 70 miles an hour

My spelling this morning is atrocious.

Real Name
    Andrew

Thanks everyone, great advice! I would assume you would use your same advice for printed photos, say like for a portfolio?