Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Fishing Pier

Real Name
    Mary... or Lucy... either is fine with me. ;)

Fishing Pier

I e-mailed a picture (both taken with iPhone) similar to the following image to a friend.

004resize.jpg

They responded saying that it, 'might be a good candidate for a great sunrise or sunset landscape'. They then said, 'I'd try for a composition down low, where the pier cuts across the screen, almost to the end'. (that part I understand ) They then said, 'Let the camera choose the exposure-if you're shooting into the light it'll end up as a nice silhouette'. (that part I don't understand)

'Let the camera choose the exposure.' Does that mean shoot on auto? Nobody here ever says to shoot on auto so this confuses me, but I'm not sure what it means.

Help, please.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Real Name
    Tommy

Re: Fishing Pier

Quote Originally Posted by ilovelucydog View Post
    They responded saying that it, 'might be a good candidate for a great sunrise or sunset landscape'. They then said, 'I'd try for a composition down low, where the pier cuts across the screen, almost to the end'. (that part I understand ) They then said, 'Let the camera choose the exposure-if you're shooting into the light it'll end up as a nice silhouette'. (that part I don't understand)

'Let the camera choose the exposure.' Does that mean shoot on auto? Nobody here ever says to shoot on auto so this confuses me, but I'm not sure what it means.

Help, please.
    Hi Mary,

I agree, this would be a great subject in the right sort of light.

By 'let the camera choose the exposure' your friend could mean shoot in aperture priority mode. If you use matrix metering (Nikon) and set your aperture (prob. around f/11 - to ensure enough depth of field) then your camera will determine the correct shutter speed. I'm pretty sure that if you shot at these settings into a nice sunset then you'd be left with a nice sky and a sillouette of the pier. I'd also be tempted to bracket 3 exposures of each shot (-1 EV, 0, +1 EV) and just keep shooting til a good 30 - 40 minutes after sunset (assuming you have a (sturdy) tripod). You can get completely different colours and lighting even just a few minutes apart.

That's probably how I would approach the scene initially and if I wasn't getting the results I was after then I'd have a rethink.

From a compositional point of view then I'd be more inclined to go for a landscape orientation and place the horizon on the top or bottom 1/3 line (depending on what was more appealing on the night - the sky or the sea).

Real Name
    Keith

I agree with Tommy, I think a narrow'ish landscape format would suit the image better but hey, experimenting is good

Keith

Real Name

Quote Originally Posted by RockNGoalStar View Post
    Hi Mary,

I agree, this would be a great subject in the right sort of light.

By 'let the camera choose the exposure' your friend could mean shoot in aperture priority mode. If you use matrix metering (Nikon) and set your aperture (prob. around f/11 - to ensure enough depth of field) then your camera will determine the correct shutter speed. I'm pretty sure that if you shot at these settings into a nice sunset then you'd be left with a nice sky and a sillouette of the pier. I'd also be tempted to bracket 3 exposures of each shot (-1 EV, 0, +1 EV) and just keep shooting til a good 30 - 40 minutes after sunset (assuming you have a (sturdy) tripod). You can get completely different colours and lighting even just a few minutes apart.

That's probably how I would approach the scene initially and if I wasn't getting the results I was after then I'd have a rethink.

From a compositional point of view then I'd be more inclined to go for a landscape orientation and place the horizon on the top or bottom 1/3 line (depending on what was more appealing on the night - the sky or the sea).
    Thank you, Tommy. We are on the east coast, so sunset would be opposite the ocean. I assume that what you said would apply equally to a sunrise photo?

The photo I posted was just a quickie from my iPhone, so I definitely would compose it as a landscape.

Thank you.

Real Name

Quote Originally Posted by KeithH View Post
    I agree with Tommy, I think a narrow'ish landscape format would suit the image better but hey, experimenting is good

Keith
    Thank you, Keith.

Real Name
    Tommy

Quote Originally Posted by ilovelucydog View Post
    Thank you, Tommy. We are on the east coast, so sunset would be opposite the ocean. I assume that what you said would apply equally to a sunrise photo?

The photo I posted was just a quickie from my iPhone, so I definitely would compose it as a landscape.

Thank you.
    Yeah definitely! But start shooting about 30 - 40 mins before sunrise instead!

Here's a shot I took of the pier on a small island we stayed at on honeymoon in Malaysia. It's not the best shot in the world, but gives you an idea of how I would compose the shot. having said that others may disagree with me on the composition!

But anyways, it gives you an idea!

Fishing Pier

Have fun and I look forward to seeing what you manage to get! Just remember to set that alarm clock!

Real Name

Quote Originally Posted by RockNGoalStar View Post
    Yeah definitely! But start shooting about 30 - 40 mins before sunrise instead!

Here's a shot I took of the pier on a small island we stayed at on honeymoon in Malaysia. It's not the best shot in the world, but gives you an idea of how I would compose the shot. having said that others may disagree with me on the composition!

But anyways, it gives you an idea!

Fishing Pier

Have fun and I look forward to seeing what you manage to get! Just remember to set that alarm clock!
    That's beautiful, Tommy. Yes, that does give me an idea. Thank you!