Real Name
    Bob

Working together

Old time "plow days" at the farm

Working together

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Re: Working together

That's a gorgeous scene. And you've handled it very, very well. Quite a challenge with the tones and lighting, but you've got is exposed wonderfully. And a good composition.

Real Name
    Bob

Thank you very much. It was a fun day with perhaps 40-50 tractors, all plowing.

Real Name
    Richard

Great composition...

Interesting shot and beautifully maintained machines. Can one of you yokel types please put me out of my misery and tell me why the front wheels of the first tractor are designed the way they are. I know this is going to be obvious but I can only think that they allow alignment with the furrows

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Quote Originally Posted by Wirefox View Post
    Can one of you yokel types please put me out of my misery and tell me why the front wheels of the first tractor are designed the way they are.
    Oooh Aaar, Yessir.

As far as I know it was 'just' a design thing; i.e. there was no practical reason for the difference in front-axle arrangement. I think what you see on that front tractor was very much a North-American design, with the European and other area going for the wider axle, as per the machines behind.

But, having written all that, someone will surely now come on board to point out the very practical reasons why the axle design was as it was.

Where is Katy when you need her. I feel sure she would have known this

But... a quick google suggests this is a row crop tractor. The rear wheels are of large diameter to clear growing crops and the rear wheels can also be arranged at varying widths along the back axel to suit the crop row width (you can see the excess axle bar protruding) The front wheels are designed with an inward tilt to run between the growing crops without causing damage.

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Quote Originally Posted by Donald View Post
    But, having written all that, someone will surely now come on board to point out the very practical reasons why the axle design was as it was.
    See! Told you so.

Real Name
    Frank Miller

Although they appear to be plowing for a new crop so it won't matter for this pass, I'm not sure how the tractor wheels wouldn't damage the crops, given their width and particularly with rows planted that close togeather?

Real Name
    Chris

I looked at this an immediately thought B&W...and, I think it is yummy.

Working together

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Quote Originally Posted by MiniChris View Post
    I looked at this an immediately thought B&W...and, I think it is yummy.
    I agree
    I did a B & W version for myself just to see, and it really worked.

Nice Chris. it was certainly begging for it. In most cases I see machinery as black and white material anyway. This is no exception

Real Name
    Robert S.

I just read the thread A thought: How lucky we are having CiC and this type of discussions is on of the things I do like most on CiC. Pointing from picture styles to tractor types.

Back to pictures. The picture is composed very well. I suggest to increase contrast and dark values a little bit. to give the picture a little bit more bite. I hope you don't mind but I like the B/W version even more.

bye
    Robert

Real Name
    Seri

This is a wonderful image, and I'm so glad that the question about the wheels was raised - it had been circling around in my brain too

Apart from the overall effect, I love the details too. That sunshade contraption is a made me smile, and I wonder why that driver's the only one to have one.

I agree with Robert completely. It's so good that people here are relaxed and inquisitive enough to be able to take diversions based on the subject matter of the photos, as well as covering all the serious stuff. I think it matters. On many other forums there's strict adherence to talk about technique only, but if we just treat our subjects only as photographic material, and don't have any other feelings about them, then the resulting images will have something vital missing in them.

Bob's wonderful photos of farm life and machinery show his strong connection with his subject matter, and, for me, that really enhances my enjoyment when viewing them.

Seri

Real Name
    Bob

Thanks to all for your comments. My feelings are , if you have no feelings for the scene (and you aren't being paid) why take the picture?

Real Name
    Chris

If I had to wait to get paid for every picture I made, I am not sure I would ever shoot another but as to it needing feeling..definitely, because without emotional attachment, why bother.