Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: A new day

A new day

Yet some more from last morning. It is amazing that you can capture so many colours in a sunrise. They seem to change every minute.

A new day

A new day

Your C&C are always welcome!

Real Name
    Willie or Jiro is fine by me.

Re: A new day

IMO, a little extra detail on the boat on the 1st image would create a more balanced shot. Same thing with #2 though I tend to like it as it is. Early bird really do get the good worms (or should I say good images).

Real Name
    Tommy

I love the second one. The first is also beautiful, but my eyes keep landing on that strange contraption on the bow of the boat wondering what it is / does.

I think with the second one, either choose whether to have detail (and light) in the foreground, or simply have none and do a sillouette. I think I'd prefer to go with the detail option, but just need more of it. As it is my eyes are desperately trying to focus on the pebbles and seek out more detail when they should be exploring the rest of the scene.

Great colours in both though, great job

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

I agree with Tommy. That winding mechanism on the boat is a distraction.

I'm also wondering if you've pushed the second one just a bit too far. I think I'm seeing banding in the sky. If that is just the cloud pattern, then please accept my apologies.

Real Name
    Frank Miller

Hi Gainnis, there is a stark beauty to images like this. I like to see the occasional mystery in an image so I was initially attracted to the first shot, that is, until Donald solved the mystery. Now I feel that the second one has more appeal. Tommy noticed the rocks on the beach before I did. I wonder if they were just a little, and I mean very slightly, easier to see the reflection of the sky color, if that wouldn't look better?

Real Name
    Wendy

Oh my, what beauty. The colours are just amazing, but I do wish I could chop off that thing on the boat. That being said, it is what it is and that is what was there. In a way the sillouette adds to the shot, it's just not what is expected in a scene like this, so my initial reaction is that it should go. I love the second one as is, but it could go lighter or darker in the foreground and be just as good but different. It must have been a wonderful sunrise to experience.

Wendy

Thanks to all for your comments!

Quote Originally Posted by Donald View Post
    I agree with Tommy. That winding mechanism on the boat is a distraction.
    Well, my intention was to capture the sunrise with another point of interest other than the colours. That object is the mechanism with which the anchor is pulled on the boat. Your responses show that my idea wasn't good enough and failed to add another layer in the image. Is it because it's not an object immediately recognisable to be a silhouette?

Quote Originally Posted by Donald View Post
    I'm also wondering if you've pushed the second one just a bit too far. I think I'm seeing banding in the sky. If that is just the cloud pattern, then please accept my apologies.
    Donald, I'm sorry but I don't know what banding means.

If you refer to this area then it's the clouds that give this look.
    A new day

If you refer to this, then perhaps you're right.
    A new day

Quote Originally Posted by ScoutR View Post
    It must have been a wonderful sunrise to experience.
    Yes, it was worth waking up at 5 in the morning and waiting about an hour for the colours to show up!

I edited the second image to increase the foregound interest, as some of you have said. An improvement?

A new day

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Giannis

Regarding 'banding', Sean discusses it in this tutorial here on CiC. I am not at all sure that I am seeing banding, so please do not assume that there is. It would be helpful if others would comment on this.

As to your re-worked image - I think the optimum would be one that was very, very slightly brighter than the first one and not so bright as the new version. Between the two you have presented, I prefer your original. In it the foreground is not completely black. There is some detail in it.
    Last edited by Donald; 21st July 2011 at 03:11 PM.

Thanks Donald, I will give it a look and also note your words regarding the image.