Thread: The finer things in life...

Real Name
    Raylee

The finer things in life...

The finer things in life...

Thanks for looking.

R

Re: The finer things in life...

I wouldn't even know how to critique this, Raylee, but it really is funny, I've just been thinking about still life - very similar thoughts as this but not sure how to go about it. I do know, though, that I LIKE it! What a lovely theme - and it has that elegant Raylee feel to it. That white flower in front of the perfume is really pretty - just perfect. I guess, another comment is that my eye immediately wanted to explore this - and did. i think leading lines and composition are just as important in still life as in anything else and I do see them here. Also, there's a nice rhythm and balance of white objects and it, also, helps my eye to move around. That's all that I can think of but it always feels like Christmas when you post!

Hi Raylee, nice collection and I like it! I can see some of my favorite things, the candle, candle holder, nice bag...luv it! And a touch of that mangosteen!

rob marshall

Hi Raylee

I see my shot of Coco Chanel last week has got you going. I see it's empty - you need a new one!

Lovely shot. Very nice dark tones, and it has a real richness and texture to it. Nice one.

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Never mind the Chanel, just keep topping up on the Cointreau.

Like Rob said, tone and texture. Wonderful.
    Last edited by Donald; 17th July 2011 at 07:14 AM.

Well Done, R

Nice Job

Vanitas vanitatum omnia vanitas.

Real Name
    Raylee

Quote Originally Posted by Katy Noelle View Post
    I wouldn't even know how to critique this, Raylee, but it really is funny, I've just been thinking about still life - very similar thoughts as this but not sure how to go about it. I do know, though, that I LIKE it! What a lovely theme - and it has that elegant Raylee feel to it. That white flower in front of the perfume is really pretty - just perfect. I guess, another comment is that my eye immediately wanted to explore this - and did. i think leading lines and composition are just as important in still life as in anything else and I do see them here. Also, there's a nice rhythm and balance of white objects and it, also, helps my eye to move around. That's all that I can think of but it always feels like Christmas when you post!
    Thanks Katy. I appreciate the thought you put into your critiques – they are very helpful. You are such a sweety.

Quote Originally Posted by jupiterlush View Post
    Hi Raylee, nice collection and I like it! I can see some of my favorite things, the candle, candle holder, nice bag...luv it! And a touch of that mangosteen!
    Thanks Al. I searched the house for items to include. The bag belonged to my great-grandmother. Mangosteens are fantastic as subject matter as well as a fruit.

Quote Originally Posted by rob marshall View Post
    Hi Raylee
    I see my shot of Coco Chanel last week has got you going. I see it's empty - you need a new one!
    Lovely shot. Very nice dark tones, and it has a real richness and texture to it. Nice one.
    I told you Rob that Coco was my favourite! I do have a new bottle. I make sure that I have a replacement ready. Thanks for the comments.

Quote Originally Posted by Donald View Post
    Never mind the Chanel, just keep topping up on the Cointreau.
    Like Rob said, tone and texture. Wonderful.
    That bottle is empty too, but like the perfume there is a replacement close by. Thanks Donald.

Quote Originally Posted by Mick View Post
    Well Done, R
    Nice Job
    Vanitas vanitatum omnia vanitas.
    Thanks Mick – you know you inspired me.

Thanks everyone!

R

Raylee,

You really, really ought to go look at THIS. This is why I've been considering still life. Kudos to you - it's so similar!
    Last edited by Katy Noelle; 17th July 2011 at 08:07 PM.

Real Name
    Raylee

Quote Originally Posted by Katy Noelle View Post
    Raylee,

You really, really ought to go look at THIS. This is why I've been considering still life. Kudos to you - it's so similar!
    Thanks for sharing that Katy. I like the way she's used a colour theme for some of the still life shots. Trouble is, I look at things like that and think I need more props! In particular, an absinthe spoon! I like looking at art of all different styles to get ideas. Some of Anna Williams' shots are bit too peachy for my tastes (I've only had a brief look) but they certainly give me ideas for props. If you haven't worked it out by now, I like dark images. If you find anything else of interest, please share.

Thanks

R

PS She has some great b&w and polaroids.
    Last edited by Camellia; 17th July 2011 at 10:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Camellia View Post
    Thanks for sharing that Katy. I like the way she's used a colour theme for some of the still life shots. Trouble is, I look at things like that and think I need more props! In particular, an absinthe spoon! I like looking at art of all different styles to get ideas. Some of Anna Williams' shots are bit too peachy for my tastes (I've only had a brief look) but they certainly give me ideas for props. If you haven't worked it out by now, I like dark images. If you find anything else of interest, please share.

Thanks

R

PS She has some great b&w and polaroids.
    Yes, she is a master at that high key food photography thing and she's not dark at all. I really, really like that about your photographs - they do have that mystery appeal - keep developing it, Raylee, please! However, she's got the same elegance and has arranged things in a similar manner. Also, I've spent some time communing with how beautifully she composes what's in her frame. Then, there's the fact (that I try to push into the back of my mind because it intimidates me) that she either is or has a wonderful stylist - another skill that I would LOVE, LOVE, LOVE to learn about.

I definitely love her b&ws and polaroids, too!
    Last edited by Katy Noelle; 17th July 2011 at 10:58 PM. Reason: Oh, funny! I did a Jack Aubrey and mixed up my idioms.

Real Name
    Steve

Nice job raylee. Great tones in the conversion. Seems a touch dark to me though.