Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Old Lime Kiln, Villie Morgon

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Old Lime Kiln, Villie Morgon

I'm now starting to get confused over what I have or haven't posted. Must be an age thing. If you see something you think you've seen before ... you're probably right!

Beside the D18 road running from the gite where we were staying, through the village of Villie-Morgon and on towards Belleville was this old, empty building. The IGN 1:25000 map of the area told me it was a lime kiln.

The third one in this series is what I almost missed happening on my right as I was concentrating on getting this one.

C & C always appreciated.

Old Lime Kiln, Villie Morgon
    40D,17-85mm f/4-5.6 IS USM @ 28mm. ISO100. 100s@f16. 3 stop ND + 2 stop GND
    Last edited by Donald; 14th July 2011 at 09:06 AM.

Re: Old Lime Kiln, Villie Morgon

Wonderful, Donald! Absolutely wonderful!!! It's simple with wonderful lines but there's so much fun stuff to see, like the name on the building to absolutely wanting to go through that gap in the trees to see what I'll find, etc. I know that you tend towards the softer/darker side of exposure but, in this one, I really wish that the foreground was brighter. The plants aren't "reading" easily. What do you think?

I'm loving this series - it's like licking the spoon after you've made chocolate chip cookies!

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Quote Originally Posted by Katy Noelle View Post
    I'm loving this series - it's like licking the spoon after you've made chocolate chip cookies!
    Nah. Nothing's as good as that.

Quote Originally Posted by Katy Noelle View Post
    I really wish that the foreground was brighter. The plants aren't "reading" easily. What do you think?
    Mmmm, d'know! If you've looked back to the colour sunrise that I linked to in the above post, you'll see how I said that I wasn't sure that the B & W I captured at the same time was really hitting the bullseye for me. Well, this is that B & W. And it was all about the vines in the foreground.

It was taken at 5:38am, before the sun was up and it was that early morning mood that I wanted to get - quiet, calm, 'nothing stirring'. That's why I didn't want to go with anything that was too much in terms of contrast. I wanted to keep it muted. I was only satisfied with it when I kept the vines pretty flat and 'boring'.

Maybe it needs a bit more.

I do love that color one. I do really like this image, though. I've been taking my evening walks at a late hour, recently, and, sometimes, darkness really catches me - there's a place where it's dark but I can see and appreciate it and, then, there's this line where I'm stumbling a bit through the shadowy areas. ...and, I'm rambling big time! Puppies woke me up early, today, and I'm too tired to even go make coffee. So, just don't mind me... (It's a GORGEOUS morning, though.) It's just that, I don't know what to do, yet, with fog and predawn and dusk - I want them to be bright.

Real Name
    Chris

It just needs a squinch more...about a 1/3 stop lighter in the middle right quadrant but I think what may have me and the others looking at it somewhat askew is that it is somewhat askew. The building is slightly off its vertical and horizontal axis - a squench amount as well but enough for an anal retentive person like me to notice and make me twist my head.

I love the portrayal of solitude and as you might have noticed with my own shots, I like that sense of singularity, isolationism which comes with an early morning light. Nice piece...as always.

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Quote Originally Posted by MiniChris View Post
    The building is slightly off its vertical and horizontal axis - a squench amount as well but enough for an anal retentive person like me to notice and make me twist my head.
    I seem to have shot it for that row of vines behind and to the right. The original had an even more pronounced tilt and I did rotate it. When you put it to absolute vertical on the wall of the building, the land begins to slope down unnaturally. What to do??
    Last edited by Donald; 14th July 2011 at 07:02 PM.

Real Name
    Chris

Use a tad of distort on the left side which will bring the roofline more in parallel but leave the horizon mostly alone...