Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Butter Flutter

Butter Flutter

Butter Flutter

Ho hum, a kind-hearted person gave me a new lens and it makes me blush whenever I see them. Oh well, very early this morning, before rain fell I went to the garden and saw this lovely fairy, as if waving at me and inviting me to go and get the camera and take a picture of her well adorned wings. What do you say?

Butter Flutter

Real Name
    Frank Miller

Re: Butter Flutter

Hi Al, you have such nice friends and friendly buterflys! Have you thought about toning down the bright spots in the background and posting one of these in the mini-competition?

I think I would see how it looks to rotate the second shot 90° CCW, crop it square, and sharpen the foreground a bit. But that's just my view and others may have better suggestions. I love the colors in the wings!

Real Name
    Bill S

Al,

I agree with everything Frank said. Great captures!

And send your lens donating friend my way...

- Bill

Quote Originally Posted by ktuli View Post
    Al,

I agree with everything Frank said. Great captures!

And send your lens donating friend my way...

- Bill
    Bill thank you. Btw I passed by your blog earlier today, I was trying to get some tips before I capture this picture. And I think I did!

Al

Quote Originally Posted by FrankMi View Post
    Hi Al, you have such nice friends and friendly buterflys! Have you thought about toning down the bright spots in the background and posting one of these in the mini-competition?

I think I would see how it looks to rotate the second shot 90° CCW, crop it square, and sharpen the foreground a bit. But that's just my view and others may have better suggestions. I love the colors in the wings!
    Frank Sir thank you for viewing and making comments, I am really learning from all of you. Yes, I have noticed that those bright spots were distracting and I'm not so sure if this will do.

Butter Flutter

Real Name
    Frank Miller

Hi Al, I think that really helps as what is left doesn't distract the eye near as much. The important thing is "how do you like it"?

Quote Originally Posted by FrankMi View Post
    Hi Al, I think that really helps as what is left doesn't distract the eye near as much. The important thing is "how do you like it"?
    Thank you Frank. In fact, it looks better for me now.

Real Name
    paul wilbur

A bit less horizontal?? (It's OK to rotate your camera to add a bit more drama / tension / excitement...)

We know it's a butterfly, so lets focus on composition

Butter Flutter
    Nice overall picture

Real Name
    Bill S

But, Paul, you clipped its wing with that crop... Especially since you cut some of the most intricately patterned part of the wing, I have to say I am not a fan of that crop. Sometimes I am ok with the subject breaking the edge of the frame, but here I'd say it doesn't work.

- Bill

Hi Paul, yeah I know, it's just a butterfly and it all depends on how we look at them, it may not look interesting for others but for me it is a picture of contentment, regardless of it's angular projection it's still a picture of joy. I like how you rotated it but like what Bill said you cropped my favorite part of my butterfly. I'm still learning with all these things. I appreciate your comments and open for suggestions and will try my best to do what needs to be done. Thank you Paul.