Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Well, the D7000 is on its way back to Nikon for the 3rd time

Real Name
    Chris

Well, the D7000 is on its way back to Nikon for the 3rd time

This time, I have demanded a brand new camera body. My case is currently under review, but we've had 3 telephone conference today and I've set the camera to their specs, sent the images complete with all EXIF data and I think now they seem satisfied it is indeed a LEMON.

In one of their tests I had to perform, given their parameters, the shot required a -2.3 EV to get a decent image and it too contained over 25 dust spots (all of them had that problem). Needless to say they were a bit downcast on that one. I shot a total of 6 images for them in six different lighting conditions, both inside and out and not one of them shot according to their expectations. It's kind of hard for them to refute their own test when given the EXIF data.

They even confirmed something I suspicioned all along, my focus point was just a hair off, making all my shots just a tad soft.

AAARRRGGGHHHHHHHHHHHhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!

Real Name
    Have a guess :)

Re: Well, the D7000 is on its way back to Nikon for the 3rd time

Maybe it's time to come over to the "dark side" Chris

Real Name
    Chris

If I didn't already have 6 really nice Nikkor lenses and one awesome Tokina Macro, I'd probably go to a Canon 7D. this one is really begining to P me off.

Real Name
    Robin

Stick with it, get it sorted and you'll see just how good the D7000 can be - the sensor blows the pants off the 7D.....actually it blows all crop sensors away including my D300s which is a bit annoying.

Real Name
    Mary... or Lucy... either is fine with me. ;)

Stick to your guns Chris! Don't accept anything less than a new body! You'll love it when you get it sorted out.

Real Name

Quote Originally Posted by black pearl View Post
    Stick with it, get it sorted and you'll see just how good the D7000 can be - the sensor blows the pants off the 7D.....actually it blows all crop sensors away including my D300s which is a bit annoying.
    I thought that that seemed like a pretty bold statement, so I headed over to www.dxomark.com and was quite surprised to learn that it does indeed exceed the performance of the 7D in every parameter by a "comfortable" margin.

Interestingly though, it got pipped by a couple of points by the Pentax K-5.

Real Name
    Chris

I have to stick with the Nikon...too many lenses not to..but it sure is frustrating to experince the same thing over and over...What is most irritating, on the second work order it states they replaced the image sensor, yet the dot pattern is exactly the same as the first time I sent it in for the same reason...so, it makes you wonder. When I sent the unit back, I enclosed two photographs, again with EXIF data that clearly show the dot patterns before each repair. Someone will get egg on his face...

I am back to my backup D40 which is no comparison to the D7000 but I have two jobs to complete. Double sigh.

Real Name
    Robin

Quote Originally Posted by Colin Southern View Post
    I thought that that seemed like a pretty bold statement, so I headed over to www.dxomark.com and was quite surprised to learn that it does indeed exceed the performance of the 7D in every parameter by a "comfortable" margin.

Yeah, that wasn't a 'I'm a Nikon user so it must be better' statement the thing is quite extraordinary. To be fair its newer than the 7D so should be better, the next generation Canon chip will push the envelope further and so we keep on getting better performance - awesome.

There are worrying rumours all over the net that the next Sony sensor (Alpha 77 - NEX xx) will have 25mp on a 1.5 crop. Now I know noise reduction is getting better and noise itself isn't the be-all-and-end-all (I've stopped looking for it most of the time) but diffraction is an issue now with 16/18mp sensors and it will only get worse. Problem being this is a physical property and can't be worked around. A lad at work has a 7D and one day while we were quiet we put it up against my D300s in as many tests as we could think of - pretty much neck and neck in most areas except diffraction. At 100% (pixel peeping....I know, I know.....don't shout at me) the Nikon hit a wall somewhere around f11 while the Canon fell over at f9. Yes f9 - that means a 25mp sensor will become diffraction limited around f8 (or worse) so how are we ever going to get the best from our lenses? Everyone buy primes that peak at f4 or pro zooms that peak at f5.6 - not gonna happen so what is the point in all those pixel?

Real Name

not gonna happen so what is the point in all those pixel?
    I'll let you in on a little secret - the mega-pixel war should have been declared a draw at around 8MP for crop & 12MP for FF sensors.

Personally, I just ignore diffraction - in terms of things that have the potential to degrade images, it's pretty minor.

Real Name

not gonna happen so what is the point in all those pixel?
    I'll let you in on a little secret - the mega-pixel war should have been declared a draw at around 8MP for crop & 12MP for FF sensors.

Personally, I just ignore diffraction - in terms of things that have the potential to degrade images, it's pretty minor.

Real Name
    Sahil Jain

Gulp!!
    I am thinking of buying D7000 this month. But your experience is discouraging me a bit

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Sahil

I don't think it should. There are lots and lots of D7000s out there (why they never bought Canon, I'll never understand ... but) that are producing excellent results for their owners.

Chris got a rogue - that now seems fairly obvious. And it can, unfortunately, happen from time to time. The chances of you also getting a rogue are miniscule.

Real Name
    Mary... or Lucy... either is fine with me. ;)

Don't let it sway you, Sahil. There are always a bad one here and there no matter what the product.

Real Name
    Chris

I copied all the comments from the first and last time I sent the camera in and duly notated I belonged to an international Digital forum and much of what is written about cameras and gear is read by many hundreds of people world-wide. I wish I could have had Sahil's comment to add to the list. It was not meant to be a veiled or open threat, only to try to emphasize my committment to the Nikon product and how my experiences would affect the experiences of others.

So far, I have not had any real problems with Nikon standing by their warranty and I think they are truly dedicated to ensuring the highest quality for their products. Donald hit it right on the head...I got the runt of the litter. I don't like it, but do understand.

Sahil: When this camera is "on" performing at its peak, I firmly believe there isn't a better camera on the market (nad yes, I've shot the 7D and the Panasonic and a Fuji...and while each have a nice range of capabilitiy, only the D7000 has all of them in one package and it is the primary reason (well, other than having a bunch of Nikkor lenses) for buying this model. I believe Letrow also uses the D7000 and he is quite pleased with his. If I were you reading this, I'd put my trust in the dog went to Panama City, Fl and yours will be the stallion that goes to India.

Real Name
    Philip

Quote Originally Posted by Colin Southern View Post
    It is an understandable but sad reality that the dominance of the big two in the dslr and lens markets tends to command most of the attention, overwhelming the smaller players. So thank you for mentioning Pentax, Colin. I should add that, as a newcomer to dslr photography, I am pleased with my choice and the many impressive qualities of the Pentax K-r.

Real Name
    Sahil Jain

Quote Originally Posted by Donald View Post
    Sahil
    (why they never bought Canon, I'll never understand ... but).
    Well, finally, I have figured out something I have edge over you, Donald . I can very well understand why they never bought a Canon

Quote Originally Posted by Lucy
    Don't let it sway you, Sahil.
    Ahoy, Captain!

Quote Originally Posted by Chris
    When this camera is "on" performing at its peak, I firmly believe there isn't a better camera on the market (nad yes, I've shot the 7D and the Panasonic and a Fuji...and while each have a nice range of capabilitiy, only the D7000 has all of them in one package and it is the primary reason (well, other than having a bunch of Nikkor lenses) for buying this model. I believe Letrow also uses the D7000 and he is quite pleased with his. If I were you reading this, I'd put my trust in the dog went to Panama City, Fl and yours will be the stallion that goes to India.
    I have joined a D7000 group on Flickr already, and keep reading about it. Every time I read about it I want it more. Only issues I have read about have been hot pixels, which were taken care of with the firmware update.
    I just hope I get a stallion. I won't give a bad copy of camera as much fight as you are giving... But yea, if annoyed to great level I would have dragged them to consumer court which is very much in favour consumers.

Real Name
    Sahil Jain

And yes, even I have seen performance of K-5, & its really impressive.