Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: House at the top of the hill

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

House at the top of the hill

The next offering from Beaujolais.

One of the wonderful things was the sky. There were so many variations of clouds and cloud patterns.

House at the top of the hill
    40D, 17-85mm f/4-5.6 IS USM @ 85mm. ISO100. 1/8 @ f22. + GNDs

Re: House at the top of the hill

Wonderful!

Now, where did I just read your comment about how the light was very different in France and that's why your photos look a little bit 'different' from your normal? (Hm, it could sound like I'm banging on Scotland but, nope, not at all!) Anyway, I think that the discussion was with Wendy...

So, was your time in Beaujolais "sunwashed"?

Real Name
    John Wright

Busy sky there,Donald.Cumulus Congestus BUT what's interesting (for me) is that grey lowering under the centre of the white area to the right of the small right hand building - an inverted cone ,it looks very much like you've captured the beginnings of a funnel cloud.

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

John

Indeed. In fact my partner has developed this fascination for clouds (she must find me boring!) and we had a copy of Gavin Pretor-Pinney's 'The Cloud Collector's Handbook' with us. It was actually quite fascinating to just sit and look at the sky and begin to understand, from the book, some of what I was looking at.
    Last edited by Donald; 7th July 2011 at 09:50 PM.

Real Name
    John Wright

Excellent Donald. Here's Pretor-Pinneys website, I expect your partner has it anyway. http://cloudappreciationsociety.org/

Whilst I do travel to the US each year it's to photograph the supercells which we don't get too often here and nothing like the ones in the US of course but what we do have is a wide variety of cloud types due to our maritime climate. Tomorrow will be a good day down here so I'm already prepared to go out.

I don't know if you recall in one of my cloud posts that Prof. Howard Bluestein (USA) said of the skies- 'Nature's art gallery sculptured by the wind' Most people don't look up, obviously your partner does and you get great skyscapes where you live due to the Atlantic Lows rolling across Scotland, maybe you could point your camera up at them now and then. To help get a decent exposure of the ground (there's a lot more light than you think coming from clouded skies) I use the Cokin P series graduated filters,mostly the .3 (one stop) sometimes .6 (two stop) sometimes with a blue sky I use a CPL. filter. The other thing to bear in mind is that you get a much more dynamic image looking at it on the screen at home than what it was when you saw it as you took the photo - the camera seems to show much more detail so when I look at cloud structures and think maybe it's not worth a shot I bear this in mind, of course that's the beauty of digital,take the shots and if they're no good delete them. Sometimes on tour in the US I'll suggest to a fellow guest to take a photo of a structure that doesn't look that interesting but I know it will on the computer screen.