Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: I do so love how the ocean meets the shore

Real Name
    Chris

I do so love how the ocean meets the shore

A Photographer's Delight, a Mariners Fright!

C&C always welcomed. Don't be shy.

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Re: I do so love how the ocean meets the shore

'fraid this one isn't doing it for me, Chris.

I think may be the angle of the shot (from quite high above?) is dampening the effect/impact of water crashing into the shore. There's nothing that my eye can grab onto and as a result it's sort-of wandering all over the image.

I just wonder if the darker area of sea is a little too heavy, and perhaps over sharp compared with the surf. When I cover up that area, which produces a 2 x 1 ratio crop (approx) the surf and shore looks a lot better.

Real Name
    Chris

I couldn't get a crop to work with this one, so I have gone back to an earlier one and appplied the idea of cropping out the darker part of the sea...I think it works much better.

Ocean Ends, Land Begins

Real Name
    Sam Smith, I have photo ID

Chris I like them both. I enjoy that they are not "fluffy". I think they convey the power of the water against the rocks.

Real Name
    Mary... or Lucy... either is fine with me. ;)

Both of them are a true reflection of the area you were. They are exactly how I remember them. Good shots.

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Quote Originally Posted by MiniChris View Post
    so I have gone back to an earlier one and appplied the idea of cropping out the darker part of the sea...I think it works much better.
    I agree.

We can now also get a much better sense of context as we have a better defined 'edge' to the land and, I think, we can understand the image better. The lines are also much better defined, allowing us to see and follow a clearer structure.

rob marshall

Chris

Interesting that you posted this because I was editing some shots I took last week, and was reminded by one of them (below) how weird the sea can be in relation to the land. In your shot the sea looks quite encroaching on the land, and in mine the sea looks like a giant pool of water that has just flowed in from no-where. I've always found this sort of thing very weird, and I do have a fear of the sea, probably for that reason. The sea is something we usually take for granted, and because we are used to seeing it apparently fitting in well with the edge of the land we tend to forget that there is always a struggle going on between the power of the sea and the land.

Real Name
    Chris

And that scene could just as easily look like mine given a North Atlantic bruiser blowing through. Like you, while I love to sail and shoot the never ending variations in the sea and shore, the ocean always gives me a case of the heebie-jeebies. In my first shot which Donald didn't like, it was as close as I could get without fear of being sucked over the edge.....and trust me, I was very-very wary.

I do so love the serenity of one this one minute justaposed against the potential of an opposite reaction, the next.