Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: A couple shots from the top of Mt. Washington

Real Name
    Steve

A couple shots from the top of Mt. Washington

Looking back at The Lake of the Clouds Hut from about 3/4 mile from the summit:

Heading down the other side, looking east(ish):

Both shots using Sigma 30mm f/1.4.
    I'm not great with landscapes and I could have used a wider lens, but CC welcome and appreciated.
    Thanks for looking.

Real Name
    Mary... or Lucy... either is fine with me. ;)

Re: A couple shots from the top of Mt. Washington

I've been there, and you've captured it perfectly!

Real Name
    Steve

Thanks! Tough to be in the mood for photography after hiking up that thing.
    It was fun though. I'll do it again - I already forgot all about how much my knees hurt.
    (sort of)

Real Name

I am originally from WA so did most of my hiking in OR and WA. When we moved to the east coast... I couldn't believe how different the trails were. Most of the west coast trails, mountain or otherwise, use switchbacks. So, even if you're hiking up Mt. Hood or Mt. Rainier, it's difficult but not just straight up... well to the base camp at Rainier is... but before that. The Pacific Crest Trail is so much different than the Appalachian Trail. They are both beautiful but the Appalachian is harder... at least the parts I hiked... even though the elevation gains are so much less. Switchbacks!

The east coast... man... they go straight up... make it as hard as possible I guess. I enjoyed west coast hiking much more. But, Mt. Washington and all the peaks there are beautiful. The climate of Mt. Washington is worth it just for that alone... the beauty is a great big bonus.

Steve, I'm really glad to see you post again! It's been a little while, I think.

Also, I think that these are really beautiful - the light on the mountain and shadows from the clouds. I know that, sometimes, we crop to make a photo look panoramic but, personally, I love these just how they are. Just looking at them is a breath of fresh air.

...and, Mary, I know what you mean about the switchbacks and straight up! - It's a killer. I wonder if it's just because the canyon walls in CA were so steep that it was impossible to not use a switchback? Also, although I've hiked through a few dry creek beds, in my day (all rocks) - the rocks in the paths in VT drive me crazy (not to mention the bugs)! But, oh, the woods and birds and lush greenery - ahhhh!

Real Name

Quote Originally Posted by Katy Noelle View Post
    ...and, Mary, I know what you mean about the switchbacks and straight up! - It's a killer. I wonder if it's just because the canyon walls in CA were so steep that it was impossible to not use a switchback? Also, although I've hiked through a few dry creek beds, in my day (all rocks) - the rocks in the paths in VT drive me crazy (not to mention the bugs)! But, oh, the woods and birds and lush greenery - ahhhh!
    OR and WA, at least the parts we hiked, don't have the canyon walls. I think, maybe, whoever initially cut the trails, were simply smarter. One of my favorite places to hike was up the Columbia River Gorge in the Indian Heaven Wilderness area. Beautiful. It is part of the Pacific Crest Trail... beautiful. We would also cross-country ski there. The woods, the lush greenery, creeks, animals... and the best part... hardly ever pass another hiker or skiier. Complete solitude. The east coast trails are much more populated. We took the boys on 15 mile hike there... when they were in K and 1st grade. It was getting dark and we still had a few miles left to get off the trail... OMG. Brent piggy backed one down, and I piggy backed the other down. They still talk about it... like it was abusive or something.

Real Name
    Steve

Thanks Katy! My job (non photographic) has been intruding on my camera time and makes it hard to take part in forums the way I would like. I find time to post, but can't always follow-up the way I might wish. That's one reason why I tend to post in the mini comps more often. I get a general idea if I have an acceptable image, but really doesn't replace a good critique.

The hike up was straight - relatively speaking of course. Many waterfall shots that I will share if I can get one to look how I want.
    The hike down was more switchback filled, but still beat my 50 yr old knees up despite the trail being the easier of the ways down.

I kept thinking of the phrase "water water everywhere, but not a drop to drink". I my case, I saw so many beautiful views up there, but found it difficult to frame an image that had the impact I wanted. I used Capture NX2 to post process these and "enhance" the lighting and shadow effects in order to add drama to the images.

Thanks again for the comments.

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Quote Originally Posted by ilovelucydog View Post
    OR and WA, at least the parts we hiked, don't have the canyon walls. I think, maybe, whoever initially cut the trails, were simply smarter.
    Now ... would the US east coast membership lobby like to comment on the suggestion that they're not very smart? This could have major repurcussions for an east-west split.

Having grown up in the Highlands of Scotland and never been that keen on walking up the side of mountains, I always felt it was much better to admire them from the bottom, looking up. So, Steve, you have my admiration and respect.

Real Name

Quote Originally Posted by Donald View Post
    Now ... would the US east coast membership lobby like to comment on the suggestion that they're not very smart? This could have major repurcussions for an east-west split.

Having grown up in the Highlands of Scotland and never been that keen on walking up the side of mountains, I always felt it was much better to admire them from the bottom, looking up. So, Steve, you have my admiration and respect.
    I am an east coaster... now. I've hiked both... switchbacks win!

Donald... you left out my winky-face after my comment.

Real Name
    Bryan

Steve, Love the photos! Great depth and layers.

Real Name
    John

The observatory seemed to be an interesting structure. Did you get any photos of it?