A day in the 40's

A day in the 40's

A day in the 40's

A day in the 40's

A day in the 40's

A day in the 40's

A day in the 40's

A day in the 40's

Sorry about the Spitfire; it was just too far and against a bright sky.

But the rest are ok
    Last edited by arith; 5th July 2011 at 08:24 PM.

Real Name
    John

Re: A day in the 40's

somehow I was expecting snow.

Real Name
    Steve

Sno, snot today John. It was a George Formby and Glen Miller day at my local museum. I went because I heard there was a vintage car display and a Spitfire flypast.

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Lovely stuff, Steve. I'm particularly impressed with how you've treated this one ...

Quote Originally Posted by arith View Post
    A day in the 40's
    It lends a wonderful mood and atmosphere.

Real Name
    Richard

I love your images. I was born right at the time of the Dunkirk evacuation and I still remember tiny bits and pieces of the Second World War. I especially remember being hushed up at about 4 or 5 years old when I said out loud in a butcher's store, "Mommy, this market isn't black!"

I recognize the horrors and deprivatons of that War but, I my interest is still drawn to anything connected with that time of history. I have never seen either a Spitfire or a Hurricane in real life but, would love to. While a Navy cinematographer I shot a film on the history of the American aircraft carrier and interviewed many famous Naval Aviators from WW-II and earlier. That was one of the most interesting documentary films on which I ever worked.

Wonder how your images would look in black and white with the serrated border reminicent of old snapshots from a Box Brownie camera.

This day looks like a lot of fun and your images portray it quite well.

Real Name
    Mary... or Lucy... either is fine with me. ;)

Great images, Steve. Looks like a fun day and you really captured it. Thanks for sharing.

Real Name
    Steve

Hi Richard;

"Mommy, this market isn't black!"
    I bet your mom loved you that day I was born after it but lived with my grandparents and they lived the war even though it was over; I had my own gasmask and had to frequently practice putting it on and leaving it on to get used to it

It might have been because I was ugly

I knew a Spitfire pilot; they used to accept all sorts into the air force then, and he went back to welding plus a bit in the RAFVR. I know he was lethal and could shoot the bull out of a target at 300 metres with his favourite weapon, a german luger he reckoned he took off a prisoner.

I thought I could add the old look with some grain and brown and white. I think I will giv it a go. Cheers

Real Name
    Steve

Quote Originally Posted by ilovelucydog View Post
    Great images, Steve. Looks like a fun day and you really captured it. Thanks for sharing.
    Thankyou Mary; I still got a lot to do but getting on top.

Real Name
    Steve

Quote Originally Posted by Donald View Post
    Lovely stuff, Steve. I'm particularly impressed with how you've treated this one ...

It lends a wonderful mood and atmosphere.
    I noticed that after I did it Donald.

I have never seen either a Spitfire or a Hurricane in real life but, would love to.
    You would never look at another girl again if you did. Better still that sound of the Rolls Royce Merlin in the Spit. How many mechanical sounds can instantly evoke the feelings of a nation at one point in time....Summer 1940

Steve, I love the effect you have on No 3 it really puts the subjects into the period. I have been to a few of these things and it always amazes me how many US military enthusiasts there are compared to Brit jobs - maybe its the thought of having to wear hairy Marys and get strip down a Bren. I suppose the US troops are seen to be more glamourous but I would love to see more British period vehicles and hardware at these shows. I went to the Royal Armouries in Leeds a few years ago and there was a American civil war re-enactment team there. They were absolutely authentic (apart from the Yorkshire accents). Their leader tried to recruit me (must have been the long hair and beard) he was a US ex-pat from Mississipi who claimed he used to be in the National Guard. Not sure but I had a strange feeling that when he got home to his two up two down in Huddersfield the first thing he said was "eh up lass, stick kettle on will't tha"

Real Name
    Steve

Cheers Steve,

You would never look at another girl again if you did. Better still that sound of the Rolls Royce Merlin in the Spit. How many mechanical sounds can instantly evoke the feelings of a nation at one point in time....Summer 1940
    Even if you can't see it. you know it's a Spitfire. The sound on a diving or climbing turn is something else. How do you get so lucky to fly something like this. Cor blimey

Real Name
    Steve

Black & White 40's as suggested by Richard.

A day in the 40's

A day in the 40's

Real Name
    Mary... or Lucy... either is fine with me. ;)

Black & White 40's as suggested by Richard.

A day in the 40's

A day in the 40's

Those are great! Could absolutely pass for a a 40's photo!

Real Name
    Steve

Cheers Mary

Real Name
    John

Sno, snot today John. It was a George Formby and Glen Miller day at my local museum. I went because I heard there was a vintage car display and a Spitfire flypast.
    It's a regional thing Steve. Living in the snow belt numbers are associated with inches of precipitation and temperatures.

Real Name
    Steve

Cheers John, I'm glad it is not snowing here.

Very, very fun, Steve!

Real Name
    Kay

Now here was me thinking you were referring to a sudden heatvwave! From the thread title....oops should know better, it's only us silly folk down here thatblive in those conditions...
    The shots really tell a story of the day, and the later procesed ones are perfect for the subject - very nice indeed.

Real Name
    Steve

Quote Originally Posted by Katy Noelle View Post
    Very, very fun, Steve!
    Cheers Katy

Real Name
    Steve

Quote Originally Posted by wilgk View Post
    Now here was me thinking you were referring to a sudden heatvwave! From the thread title....oops should know better, it's only us silly folk down here thatblive in those conditions...
    The shots really tell a story of the day, and the later procesed ones are perfect for the subject - very nice indeed.
    Cheers Kay; I took hundreds and while I could manage to catch a horse running at a hundred miles an hour, I'm not used to and don't know how to use auto focus and so most didn't turn out, including some really good ones. Others I tried to make the best of, like this one and I certainly need a lot of practice.

A day in the 40's