Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: USAF Thunderbirds

Real Name
    Mary... or Lucy... either is fine with me. ;)

USAF Thunderbirds

United States Air Force Thunderbirds

I was going to post this yesterday... the 4th of July... Independence Day for the USA... but I forgot. So here it is a day late.

dsc_0258copy.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images

Real Name
    Have a guess :)

Re: USAF Thunderbirds

The old F-16 "Lawn Dart"

You're so lucky living close to Air Force bases

Real Name
    Steve

Our air force is going back to the Spitfire, and a few Tiger Moths. But I can see yours are well camouflaged, spet they are probably faster than anybody else's anyway.

Real Name

Quote Originally Posted by Colin Southern View Post
    The old F-16 "Lawn Dart"

You're so lucky living close to Air Force bases
    I'm not sure exactly how many bases we have near us... but we have them from all branches... at least 3 Navy that are right here... so the FA/18s that fly... 2 feet (okay, that's an exaggeration but they are low enough I can see the missles and the pilots) from my head... are US Navy aviators. There are Army installations and then Langley Air Force Base (home of the CIA) where the Thunderbirds show was. It is a really neat place to live. I wish the Air Craft Carriers didn't have to be so far out in the ocean so I could see the jets land and take off of them. Silly safety rules.

Real Name

Quote Originally Posted by arith View Post
    Our air force is going back to the Spitfire, and a few Tiger Moths. But I can see yours are well camouflaged, spet they are probably faster than anybody else's anyway.
    These are for the jet demonstration teams... I don't think the rest look like that? I have no clue... the Navy ones that fly overhead are... well... US Navy jet colored... gray.

That was the first military jet demonstration air show I had seen. OMG. One of the absolute most unbelievable things I have ever seen. I think there were times where I was the only one clapping... apparently everyone else had been to an air show. I should have brought my pom poms and cheered them on!

Real Name
    Niall

Thanks for that - your picture brings back some great memories for me.

On a visit to the US, I was lucky enough to see the Thunderbirds at McGuire AFB, NJ circa 1985/86. My cousin was part of the Thunderbirds team at the time (although not a pilot ) and we got VIP seats at the Air Show.

It was one of my favourite experiences as a kid and I remember trying, unsuccessfully, to take photos of the air show on my Kodak Disc camera (does anyone remember those?)

Real Name

Quote Originally Posted by niallc99 View Post
    Thanks for that - your picture brings back some great memories for me.

On a visit to the US, I was lucky enough to see the Thunderbirds at McGuire AFB, NJ circa 1985/86. My cousin was part of the Thunderbirds team at the time (although not a pilot ) and we got VIP seats at the Air Show.

It was one of my favourite experiences as a kid and I remember trying, unsuccessfully, to take photos of the air show on my Kodak Disc camera (does anyone remember those?)

You're welcome. I have a bunch of images... but... my skill level did not work very well with the intense speed of the jets. Totally amazing to see. What a neat thing that your cousin was part of the team. Pilot, or no, it takes a great team and crew for what they are doing.

Real Name
    John Wright

I saw them in 2007 at an Airshow 20 miles from my home,they flew over as we'd just arrived in the car park - the noise was deafening but they looked great.

Real Name

Quote Originally Posted by JohnC View Post
    I saw them in 2007 at an Airshow 20 miles from my home,they flew over as we'd just arrived in the car park - the noise was deafening but they looked great.
    The noise is deafening. Lots and lots of a vehicles here have bumper stickers that say, 'I LOVE JET NOISE'.

Real Name
    Philip

Perhaps because this photograph is about the aircraft of the air force, I prefer it with more air than concrete.

Philip

Real Name

Quote Originally Posted by MrB View Post
    Perhaps because this photograph is about the aircraft of the air force, I prefer it with more air than concrete.

Philip
    Actually, this particular photograph was about honor and respect... for service and country.

I have a bunch of photos of the jets in various amazing formations... but, I chose this one in honor of Independence Day, here in the US. I liked the honor and respect that was being shown by the pilots and their crew. To me, it was one of the most touching moments of the air show.

Real Name
    Philip

Quote Originally Posted by ilovelucydog View Post
    Actually, this particular photograph was about honor and respect... for service and country. .... I liked the honor and respect that was being shown by the pilots and their crew. To me, it was one of the most touching moments of the air show.
    All the other contributions to your thread referred to the planes or air displays, so I hope you will forgive me for missing this point. However, I will stick by the second part of my comment, as in my opinion it is still valid - in fact, reducing the extent of the concrete in the image will bring the personnel nearer to the attention of the viewer.

Philip

Real Name

Quote Originally Posted by MrB View Post
    All the other contributions to your thread referred to the planes or air displays, so I hope you will forgive me for missing this point. However, I will stick by the second part of my comment, as in my opinion it is still valid - in fact, reducing the extent of the concrete in the image will bring the personnel nearer to the attention of the viewer.

Philip
    Thank you, Philip.

Real Name
    Have a guess :)

Quote Originally Posted by ilovelucydog View Post
    It is a really neat place to live. I wish the Air Craft Carriers didn't have to be so far out in the ocean so I could see the jets land and take off of them. Silly safety rules.
    Out to sea is probably a good place for them. I've heard it said that "trying to land on a carrier deck is like trying to have sex in a car wreck - even when you can manage it, it's not very pleasant"!