Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: How do they make the images so 3D

Real Name
    António Correia

How do they make the images so 3D

I have been following Lens blog for some time now and I always find very sharp and excellent images.

The images always pop. Always present a great brightness making them very sharp and crisp. Look at the image 9 how Lagarde pops out from the scene. Yes, I can see that there is a small "darkening" on both sides of the picture. What doesn't happen with the Chinese soldiers however.

I would like to know how to do such an effect, the 3D one
    Can you please, be so kind as to give me a hint about this ?
    Thank you

As a side note: If you enter in the site directly, it will block in some seconds, while coming in/starting from Facebook it doesn't and you can see and read everything.

Real Name
    Willie or Jiro is fine by me.

Re: How do they make the images so 3D

Hello, Antonio. I am not so sure if there are special technique used to achieve such kind of effect on these shots. One thing I know with photojournalistic shots is that they don't do much PP in their images as they have to send them ASAP to their client. I think it has more to do with the lens used and the camera. I have seen numerous examples of images from the dpreview website and it was so obvious to me that prime lenses coupled with professional camera bodies seems to have the same kind of shots like the one shown in the link you provided. I may be wrong but this is my analysis behind the images.

Real Name
    António Correia

I wouldn't be so sure Jiro
    I have do doubts that primes with top cams return super results.
    But I am using 5D old model (almost at the top) with 70-200 f/2.8 IS L USM (on the top) and I can't reach such results.
    These lens for example, is used in Greece riots, in Afganistan etc by professionals with the best of the best cameras as I was watching the other day on the web, somewhere.

Perhaps some kind of action before publishing...

BTW Have you seen this ??

Real Name
    John

I'm not saying it's easy, I need more patience to achieve this quality, but it looks like the photographer is using differing backgrounds (soft or static) and achieving the 3D look by using sharp, contrasting subjects that just makes them stand out more. Also, in some of the images you can see where the photographer is using perspective (high and low) to achieve the dramatic effect. What's so amazing about the techniques is that the photographer is using these tools under so much pressure.

Real Name
    António Correia

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowman View Post
    I'm not saying it's easy, I need more patience to achieve this quality, but it looks like the photographer is using differing backgrounds (soft or static) and achieving the 3D look by using sharp, contrasting subjects that just makes them stand out more. Also, in some of the images you can see where the photographer is using perspective (high and low) to achieve the dramatic effect. What's so amazing about the techniques is that the photographer is using these tools under so much pressure.
    Indeed ...
    Neither CNN nor BBC have this quality. The later being better than the former.

However, I am sure that the black background has an important role.

Real Name
    Willie or Jiro is fine by me.

If you can find a link that shows the before and after I think we can reverse-engineer the shots and come up with an idea how did they do it. Hehehe. Just an idea.

Real Name
    Steve

Just looks like good, contrasty glass to me. My 35 f/1.4L gives similar results. At 35mm, the bokeh is very smooth and gradual.(suprisingly more depth of field than you would think at f/1.8 and 35mm.)

Real Name
    António Correia

Look here the second picture with DSK and his wife.
    It is very clear that some kind of work is done prior to publication

Unsharp mask + masks

Real Name
    Steve

Quote Originally Posted by Antonio Correia View Post
    Look here the second picture with DSK and his wife.
    It is very clear that some kind of work is done prior to publication

Unsharp mask + masks

I still say its a lens similar to a 35 1.4L or a 24 1.4L . When shot wide open (or near wide open) with a little distance from the subject or focal point, this lens will produce a buttery smooth bokeh. It's not like alot of other lenses, because its a wide angle. You will still see the surrounding areas in 'good enough ' focus, but the focal point will easily stand out from the rest. Just as you are seeing in these photos. I think they are just shooting a good wide lens, with a shallow depth of field, to get this result. Editing will only enhance it more.

Real Name
    Steve

There are three or four things I do to make images pop. Sometimes the black point and sharpening is all I need.

Set black point.
    Adjust curves.
    Local contrast/USM

I believe that most of these can be made automatic in ACR by creating a custom profile. I'm getting out of my comfort zone here.
    I use Capture NX2 a lot lately and find setting black and white control points makes a huge difference by itself.

See the following short vid on how to from Nikon:

http://www.nikonusa.com/Learn-And-Ex...ol-Points.html

Real Name
    António Correia

Quote Originally Posted by sleist View Post
    There are three or four things I do to make images pop. Sometimes the black point and sharpening is all I need.

Set black point.
    Adjust curves.
    Local contrast/USM

I believe that most of these can be made automatic in ACR by creating a custom profile. I'm getting out of my comfort zone here.
    I use Capture NX2 a lot lately and find setting black and white control points makes a huge difference by itself.

See the following short vid on how to from Nikon:

http://www.nikonusa.com/Learn-And-Ex...ol-Points.html
    I was told the other day by someone who uses Nikon that Capture NX2 is very good.
    But to establishing the white and the black points is available in many programs from other brands.
    That is probably one of the reasons why their images pop so much. Thank you for your contribution

Real Name
    Robin

There's no magic going on in the processing - its just good photography.

The kit helps a bit - long lenses, wide aperture lenses, the speed of a pro body - but at the end of the day its the photographer. Some are good, some are great and a few produce images in the link.

Real Name
    António Correia

Quote Originally Posted by black pearl View Post
    There's no magic going on in the processing - its just good photography.

The kit helps a bit - long lenses, wide aperture lenses, the speed of a pro body - but at the end of the day its the photographer. Some are good, some are great and a few produce images in the link.
    Agree