Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: 7d video file editing

Real Name
    Richard

7d video file editing

The video files produced by the Canon 7D are in the H.264 format and .mov file container.

This is gobblygook to me but, what I can decipher is that the video editor that I used for my FLIP video files, Cyberlink Power Director-8, will not support the files from my Canon 7D. I would need to upgrade to Version-9 to get support for my 7D files.

I don't really like Power Director well enough to spend the close to $60 (USD) to upgrade to Version-9. Additionally, I don't really use the video capability of the 7D that often to make that expense worthwhile.

I would like to find a simple to use basic editing program that is either free or very low cost. Any ideas???

Real Name
    Dave Ellis

Re: 7d video file editing

Hi Richard

I don't know what Operating System you're using but there is an application for Windows 7 called "Windows Live Movie Maker" which can be downloaded free from the Microsoft website. Alternatively you could try "AVIDemux". Despite the name, it does handle a range of different movie file container types, not just avi. I tried it once and found it a bit tricky to use but it did work quite well.

I can't guarantee that either will work with the 7D files but they can handle the h264 codec.

Cheers Dave

Adobe Premiere Elements 9 is a great program, and it will recognize the Canon 7D high definition videos straight away. Premiere Elements 9 works on both Windows and Mac platforms. The user-interface is fairly intuitive so that even beginners can import Canon 7D videos, edit them and export them without a lot of difficulty.

Adobe Premiere Elements 9 is not a free program, but it is a good one. As far as I know, iMovie HD and Windows Movie Maker, both require that the Canon 7D videos be converted before they can be edited. The programs that convert the Canon 7D videos cost money but I don't know how much.

Be forewarned that because the Canon 7D saves video in HD, you are going to need a very powerful computer to be able to edit those videos without your computer crashing or stalling. To run Premiere Elements 9 you'll need a 32 bit processor, 4 gigabytes of RAM with 3 gigabytes specifically dedicated to running Premiere Elements 9. With adequate hardware support, Premiere Elements 9 does a great job.

Real Name
    Dave Ellis

High Lucille

I actaully use Premiere Elements 9 too and I agree it is a good editor. I didn't mention it because i thought Richard was looking for something free. The latest version of Windows Live Movie Maker for Windows 7 can handle HD files. I've tried it with the mov files from my Nikon P300 and it handles them without any problem. Can't say for sure about the 7D files but it would be worth a try.

Richard

The thing you need to think about is what you want to do witht the edited files. eg keep them as HD or perhaps convert to DVD. The world of digital video is complex and full of challenges. That's the advantage of something like Premiere Elements or Power Director over the freeware - they simplify things and try to make them fool-proof for the average user.

Cheers Dave
    Last edited by dje; 6th July 2011 at 06:46 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by rpcrowe View Post
    The video files produced by the Canon 7D are in the H.264 format and .mov file container.

This is gobblygook to me but, what I can decipher is that the video editor that I used for my FLIP video files, Cyberlink Power Director-8, will not support the files from my Canon 7D. I would need to upgrade to Version-9 to get support for my 7D files.

I don't really like Power Director well enough to spend the close to $60 (USD) to upgrade to Version-9. Additionally, I don't really use the video capability of the 7D that often to make that expense worthwhile.

I would like to find a simple to use basic editing program that is either free or very low cost. Any ideas???
    If there is a .mov file., you can edit it in Adobe Premiere any version...You can download trial version, from Adobe Web site... adobe.com...which is free for 30 days trial period. no need to purchase.

Real Name
    Richard

The problem with viewing my .MOV files through my Windows Media Player is that I get colored banding throughout the frame. This is not just in one spot, nor is it one color although it seems to be primarily green.

At first, I naturally thought that there was a problem with my 7D and brought it to Canon Service Center in Irvine, California. It came back with a statement that the camera was well within specifications. I then suspected that it was Windows Media Player which was at fault.

My Cyberlink Power Director 9 doesn't seem to support the .MOV files. As I mentioned, I needed to upgrade to Version 9 but, I do not really like Powerlink that well. I purchased this program because it seemed to be one of the few which would support the files from my wife's FLIP camera. I did read some comments that Power Director is not intuitive and is a bit complicated to use.

I attempted to download Adobe Premier Elements 9 as a trial version and after over a half hour of downloading, the installation told me that one of the files were corrupted and the program could not be loaded. This is frustrating and inconvenient. I am going to have to erase the entire download.

I downloaded VLC Media Player which shows me that Canon was quite correct. The video from the 7D is really very nice. Apparently VLC is just a viewer not an editing program.

I downloaded AVS Video Editor and the download and installation was completed without any glitches except that they keep trying to sell me other programs. I found out that the VLC is not free either. It costs just about what the other programs: Premier Elements and Power Director cost to register, showing that you cannot get anything for nothing. The VLC is a Suite of 18 different programs which I am not keen on either.

I am going to quit working on the 7D video for a while since I know that the video on the 7D is working just fine and I realy don't need the 7D video at all. The only thing that I will use my 7D video for is identifying my still shots.

The only other use for my video is to post videos of my rescue dogs on www.petfinder.com and tell you the truth, I far prefer the FLIP camera for that...