Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: The Brook

Real Name
    Andrew-Bede

The Brook

Another one for your C&C please. I have tried to do a bit of long exposure and wondered how I could improve it. This is a new technique for me so please be honest with advice and tips so I can improve. Many thanks in advance.

The Brook

Andrew-Bede.

rob marshall

Re: The Brook

Hi Andrew.

I think the white balance is wrong. I cooled it in RAW edit, and the greens look a lot cooler, as I think they probably were when you shot it. 1.6 sec is certainly enough for fast moving water such as waterfalls, but not sure it's enough here.

Did you shoot it in RAW?

The Brook

Real Name
    Andrew-Bede

Quote Originally Posted by rob marshall View Post
    Hi Andrew.

I think the white balance is wrong. I cooled it in RAW edit, and the greens look a lot cooler, as I think they probably were when you shot it. 1.6 sec is certainly enough for fast moving water such as waterfalls, but not sure it's enough here.

Did you shoot it in RAW?

The Brook
    Hello Rob,
    Thanks for your posting & advice. Unfortunately your image doesn't load fully but yes I did shoot it in RAW. I take your point about white balance, perhaps I have over PS'd it.

Andrew-Bede

Just a personal opinion, Andrew, but if a scene has movement why use a long exposure?

It can be a good technique in the correct circumstances but when you have wind movement, of foliage etc, you are bound to get blurring.

Sometimes, yes, blurring can add something but, for me, it only works occasionally. Otherwise it can appear like poor focus.

Real Name
    Andrew-Bede

Thanks Geoff for this. The long exposure was an experiment as I had not tried it before, a successful one as it turned out as the comments it has elicited from both you and Rob have taught me a lot about this technique. I very much take your point about it looking like poor focus and I guess I have to be more careful about the setting of the shot, peripheral as well as the subject itself, (rocks instead of foliage perhaps) so thanks again for your advice.
    Andrew-Bede