Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Ominous clouds.

Real Name
    André

Ominous clouds.

Hey!

Been absent for a while now, but I haven't stopped taking pictures! Just haven't had the time to browse the forum and be active around here.

Anyway, I went hiking with a friend about a week ago. I'm not much of a hiker, but I've grown up now and have figured out it's a good thing to stay in shape. The weather wasn't the best, but the temperature was good for hiking.

Up top the view is pretty nice, and I snapped "a couple" of photos there. I think this one turned out pretty good!

Ominous clouds.

I didn't follow the rule of thirds on this one, but I did so on purpose. Just having a picture of the clouds seemed a little bit dull to me, so I wanted a little bit of the horizon at the bottom to add a little something to the picture.

Aperture: f/8
    Exposure time: 1/160 sec
    Focal length: 18 mm
    ISO: 100

I lowered the luminosity of the dark colours of the clouds to make them look even more dark and ominous.

C&C welcome!

Should've added another picture to this post I think, too much text for comfort!

Real Name
    Peter

Re: Ominous clouds.

Nice to see you back ANdre,

I do like the mood and the composition and the processing.

Yes that works well, Andre.

Personally, I never bother with rule of thirds for nature/ landscapes. For me, if the scene wasn't designed by thirds why force it into an arbitary rule. If it looks right it is right.

And this looks right.

Real Name
    John Wright

You've exposed well-sky v land or rather sea/fjord in this case. Where was the photo taken ? Maybe keep your eye on the sky because your mountains will generate ororgraphic/lenticular cloud from time to time.Here's a great example,taken in Norway. http://www.atoptics.co.uk/fz498.htm

Nothing dull about cloud photos, just the regular clouds can be dull as a photo subject but others can be spectacular like these lentics. Then you'll have the Aurora Borealis March and September.

Real Name
    James Enriquez

Hi Andre, that's is a nicely exposed shot. I like the build up the clouds are doing, being continuous from the upper front of the frame stretching all the way into the background. A couple of things that you might want to consider if you decide to shoot at that location again:

- try shooting vertical/ portrait mode to get more of the foreground into the frame, can make the image more dramatic I think
    - was this a handheld shot? if you had a tripod with you, you can lower your aperture to f/11 to f/16, snapped on an ND filter, go for long exposure (25 to 60 sec) and you could have some serious cloud streaking there
    - you can add a little more contrast in post, bring out the difference of the darkness and the brightness near the horizon and the light being reflected on the water from the clouds above, it can add a lot of drama in the image

cheers!

Real Name
    Bobo

I like it whatever the experts may say. Nicely done.