Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: An Old stuck lens revived.

Real Name
    Willie or Jiro is fine by me.

An Old stuck lens revived.

Coming back from the era of film cameras, I had mine, a Nikon F70D SLR camera that came with an AF NIKKOR 80-200mm f/4.5 - 5.6 kit lens. This was an all plastic lens and I decided to keep it after I sold my F70D body to a friend of mine since I needed the money at that time. I kept this lens for almost 12 years. I can't remember why I kept it and not sell it together with the camera body. In the back of my mind, I think my idea was that "someday, I could buy another camera and perhaps I can still use this." Then, I remember that this lens won't zoom out, it's stuck. This early afternoon for some reason I played with it, tried to clean it up and I must be lucky... the lens moved! Hahaha! I tried not to play with it but I am too eager to test if it can go end to end with the zoom range. Then I found out that at about 85mm it is stuck again (probably there is some problem with the plastic gears inside). Farther than 85mm it is zooming nicely and OK. Since this is an old, cheap plastic lens, I decided to repair it by gluing a stopper at the 90mm range permanently so it won't go lower than 90mm. What's a 10mm loss when you can use the 90 - 200mm range, right?

Here is the shot of the lens:

And here is the simple solution that I did.

And here is a sample shot SOOC from this lens on my Nikon D70:

And here is the edited version using only photoshop:

Thank you very much for viewing. I think I can still be able to use this lens occasionally if the application is not that critical.

-------
    Nikon D70, Nikon 80-200mm lens set at 90mm, ISO 400, f/5.6 at 1/400 second, Matrix Metering in Manual Mode. Edited in Photoshop.

Real Name
    Peter

Re: An Old stuck lens revived.

Well done Willie,

I note you have modified your signature to include the modified lens.

Real Name
    Willie or Jiro is fine by me.

Re: An Old stuck lens revived.

Thanks, Peter. I still have the same signature: “Sitting silently, doing nothing, the spring comes and the grass grows by itself”

What you saw that changed was the EXIF data for this shot: "Nikon D70, Nikon 80-200mm lens set at 90mm, ISO 400, f/5.6 at 1/400 second, Matrix Metering in Manual Mode. Edited in Photoshop. "