Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Sparrow drinking

Real Name
    Steve

Sparrow drinking

Still no hummingbirds landing on the waterfall. You'll have to settle for sparrows for now

Sparrow drinking

Real Name
    Willie or Jiro is fine by me.

Re: Sparrow drinking

Nice one Steve. I wonder how this would look like if there's a gold reflector positioned to the left of the shot? Would probably open up the shadow and give more detail to the rocks and the bird. These birds would probably don't mind the reflector as they are too busy enjoying the fountain you made for them.

Real Name
    Bill S

Steve,

Fantastic shot. I've been watching your bird waterfall shots carefully - no I really mean that... I have to be careful because if my wife sees it, she'll have me building one too!

Anyway - I agree with Willie on this one, a reflector or a bit of fill flash would really make these images pop!

Keep at it, these are amazing.

- Bill

PS: Just 'cause I figure I won't keep it a secret forever, can you share any info on building the waterfall? Here or PM works great. Thanks!

Real Name
    Steve

Quote Originally Posted by jiro View Post
    Nice one Steve. I wonder how this would look like if there's a gold reflector positioned to the left of the shot? Would probably open up the shadow and give more detail to the rocks and the bird. These birds would probably don't mind the reflector as they are too busy enjoying the fountain you made for them.
    I agree willie, i need something to brighten the shaddow details. (and the birds wouldn't mind at all) I don't have a reflector, but i could prob. come up with something. The highlights in the water are killing me. About 1 stop different than the bird. I also get kind of a backlighting effect in the evening(sun lights the background trees and the waterfall is in the shade of the house, but i have a bright reflection in the water), which makes things worse. If i shoot in the morning it would make a huge difference. Both the bird and water would be well lit.

I'm going to order a bounce card for my flash and try and bounce some soft light in there and see what i can come up with. Maybe that and a reflector.

Real Name
    Steve

Quote Originally Posted by ktuli View Post
    Steve,

Fantastic shot. I've been watching your bird waterfall shots carefully - no I really mean that... I have to be careful because if my wife sees it, she'll have me building one too!

Anyway - I agree with Willie on this one, a reflector or a bit of fill flash would really make these images pop!

Keep at it, these are amazing.

- Bill

PS: Just 'cause I figure I won't keep it a secret forever, can you share any info on building the waterfall? Here or PM works great. Thanks!
    Thanks bill, i don't mind sharring. I stole it off someone else anyway. I'll have to take a wide angle pic of it. When you see it , you will laugh. It is a temporary bird studio. The base is a 50 Qt plastic tote. There is a milk crate in the bottom for a base. Then i stacked rocks from the creek on the crate to make a waterfall and used a recirculating pump to pump the water over the rocks. The whole thing is sitting in the yard on a small bench to raise it off the ground. I'll post a pic later, i don't have time right now.

Real Name
    Bill S

Quote Originally Posted by Steve S View Post
    Thanks bill, i don't mind sharring. I stole it off someone else anyway. I'll have to take a wide angle pic of it. When you see it , you will laugh. It is a temporary bird studio. The base is a 50 Qt plastic tote. There is a milk crate in the bottom for a base. Then i stacked rocks from the creek on the crate to make a waterfall and used a recirculating pump to pump the water over the rocks. The whole thing is sitting in the yard on a small bench to raise it off the ground. I'll post a pic later, i don't have time right now.
    Awesome Steve.

Actually - you may want to post it as a separate thread... I could definitely see other birders interested in the instructions.

- Bill