Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Small Visitor.

Real Name
    Willie or Jiro is fine by me.

Small Visitor.

I saw this little insect while looking for something to photograph in our backyard a couple of hours ago. This is a heavily cropped image from the original since I don't have a macro lens. Thank you very much for viewing.

Small Visitor.

Nikon D70, Nikon 18-70mm lens, Processed in LR 3.

Real Name
    Paul

Re: Small Visitor.

I like this Jiro, the composition is nice and the image feels well balanced. Interesting critter as well.

Real Name

Thanks, Paul. I have no idea what kind of critter this is, but this little one is smart. Every time I tried to get close to it, it goes to the back side of the petals. To take this shot, I had to put some distance hence the heavy crop. My kit lens can't seem to focus that well during sunset. Hehehe.
    Last edited by jiro; 17th June 2011 at 03:26 AM.

This IS nice, Jiro! The detail on the petals is so sharp. Personally, I think that I'd like to see a little bit more dof in the parts of the flower that are closer to us but, really,....whatever! What about the background? Was there something lovely and green at just the appropriate distance to give you the bokeh? or was it pp. I hope that you don't mind the question - I didn't even think of it right away; so, I'm not saying that I'm seeing anything that would make me think that. It's just... being you - it's tough with a sunflower to get a nice green background - you were backed away from it so that you didn't spook the bug - picturing it all made me wonder is all.

Real Name

Thanks, Katy. I am shooting diagonally towards the ground that's why I was able to keep the background all green due to the grasses. The flower is about a yard away from me (arms length) and the ground (or the grasses) is about less than 2 yards diagonal to the flower. The setting sun is at my right side and I am holding the stalk of the sunflower so I can rotate the flower every time this critter hides from me. Hehehe. I had to be resourceful otherwise I can't capture this smart insect. It's body is only about 3/8" long so it's not really that small neither big. As for the DoF, I am shooting at an angle from the flower so definitely I can't maintain the right depth to make all of the flower in focus. This was taken about 7PM so you have an idea as to how fast the sun is setting down towards the horizon.

Real Name
    Ken Outch

Hi Willie
    I like this shot.
    And at the risk of her taking out a contract on me I am inclined to ever so slightly disagree with Katy, but in the nicest possible way! No, I don't have a death wish in doing so. Just want to live dangerously and on the edge
    IMHo I think you have got the depth of focus just right. I feel that sharpening up the petals closest to the camera would provide detail which would tend to draw attention away from the prime subject matter, the very clever extraterrestial life form.
    ucci

Hmmm now I wonder if I need to send choccies and flowers to get back in Katy's good books?

Real Name

Man, you are getting better in your photographic analysis! That shows a lot of progress if you know how to give a critic. Now go and send those flowers and chocs ASAP before Katy sees your post. Hahaha!

Quote Originally Posted by jiro View Post
    Thanks, Katy. I am shooting diagonally towards the ground that's why I was able to keep the background all green due to the grasses. The flower is about a yard away from me (arms length) and the ground (or the grasses) is about less than 2 yards diagonal to the flower. The setting sun is at my right side and I am holding the stalk of the sunflower so I can rotate the flower every time this critter hides from me. Hehehe. I had to be resourceful otherwise I can't capture this smart insect. It's body is only about 3/8" long so it's not really that small neither big. As for the DoF, I am shooting at an angle from the flower so definitely I can't maintain the right depth to make all of the flower in focus. This was taken about 7PM so you have an idea as to how fast the sun is setting down towards the horizon.
    Gotcha! The thing that was wrong in my imagination was that I saw the 6 foot tall sunflowers that Grandma grew in her garden, last summer, and I was straining on tiptoe to photograph.

Real Name

Quote Originally Posted by Katy Noelle View Post
    Gotcha! The thing that was wrong in my imagination was that I saw the 6 foot tall sunflowers that Grandma grew in her garden, last summer, and I was straining on tiptoe to photograph.
    Hehehe. Just bend the stalk but not much so you can control the background. If the stalk breaks... run and don't tell Grandma.

Now go and send those flowers and chocs ASAP before Katy sees your post. Hahaha!
    Oh, yes, definitely! You'd better, K, or else.... I'm waiting! (but, only because I lurve chocolate and flowers - sigh!)

Hehehe. Just bend the stalk but not much so you can control the background. If the stalk breaks... run and don't tell Grandma.
    Yes, well, I had to bite my tongue when Steve was telling you to tie the little sunflower back with pantyhose. (Sorry, Steve!) The stems don't bend like that without breaking and after three months of watching the silly thing grow from seed.... well.... (Don't they have sunflowers in English Gardens? I can't think, now/) Anyway, it is a great idea for something that isn't a sunflower.

Oh, my goodness! I just realized what I should have had in my camera bag!!! Well, goodnight all!

Real Name
    Ken Outch

Oh, yes, definitely! You'd better, K, or else.... I'm waiting! (but, only because I lurve chocolate and flowers - sigh!)
    Sigh...... Sorry Katy. Got a nice box of cream centred choccies and a lovely bunch of flowers to send to you as reparation. Thought I would just pre taste the chocs to see that they were acceptable as a gift. Well, one thing led to another and I guess you don't have much need for an empty chocolatre box, do you? What about the flowers? Oh... well, Bruno ate them. He likes flowers. So, all in all, I guess you could say it just wasn't your day, hey?
    ucci

Real Name
    John Wright

I double clicked and enlarged the photo and the insect, which was your subject rather than the flower itself as mentioned by Ken, looks very good and is very sharp despite it being camera-shy. I thought it might be within the cricket family but the head isn't right. I always like to know what the creatures are I'm looking at but defining insects is a speciality so a Texas Critter, Little Fella or 'Small Visitor' is fine lol.

Katy..Yes, we have sunflowers in our English gardens but not the sun, they are here to give us the illusion that we have a lot of sunshine or we have sunshine when we don't . Right now it's very cloudy, about to rain - yet again and the temp. is 55.4 F.

So..especially for you, Katy, I'm about to post a macro image of the anther (the middle) of one of our back garden (back yard to you ) sunflowers.You wouldn't believe the trouble I had to go to due to the all too often wind/breeze we get here. See the story in the macro flowers thread and what we can use to help defeat it...not so much bending the stem as securing it so it should be ok with you

Real Name
    Bill S

Willie,

Based on the shape of the head, I actually think you have a Katydid Nymph there.... I had one up my way not too long ago, and Jim B properly identified it and shared one of his own.

Nice shot. But there's too much pretty flower and not enough ugly bug... hehe

- Bill

Real Name

Yup, he sure looks like it. Thanks for the ID, Bill. We don't get much insect visitors during the late afternoon so I'll try to shoot earlier and see if I could find some new specie to shoot.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnC View Post
    Katy..Yes, we have sunflowers in our English gardens but not the sun, they are here to give us the illusion that we have a lot of sunshine or we have sunshine when we don't . Right now it's very cloudy, about to rain - yet again and the temp. is 55.4 F.

So..especially for you, Katy, I'm about to post a macro image of the anther (the middle) of one of our back garden (back yard to you ) sunflowers.You wouldn't believe the trouble I had to go to due to the all too often wind/breeze we get here. See the story in the macro flowers thread and what we can use to help defeat it...not so much bending the stem as securing it so it should be ok with you
    Oh, that wouldn't be MY story about the wind in the macro flower thread, now, would it??? I look forward to seeing your shot.