Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

In conversation with ...... Letrow

©Image, Steve (Wirefox)

Name: Peter Wortel (Letrow)
    Flickr Website: http://www.flickr.com/groups/depeet/

CiC: Thanks very much for taking the time to talk to us today.

Glad to do it. I think it is a great way of getting to know each other a bit better on the forum.

Perhaps we can start by you telling us something about your general back-ground. What about your work history – anything interesting?

Well, early early on I started out studying Arabic languages but switched to law studies when our language professors told us how limited the career opportunities were with Arabic.

After finishing the law studies I did a traineeship at one of the Dutch courts, where most lawyers seemed to busy themselves with divorce proceedings mainly. Slightly discouraged by that career prospect I applied for a job at one of the banks and went on to become an equity analyst.
    This work was great, with lots of freedom and eventually it led me to the other side of the (professional) table. One of the companies I analyzed offered me a job and I became their head of investor relations.
    In this job my main contacts are the professional investors (big institutions/pension funds), who I update regularly on my company’s business (aircraft leasing, mainly Airbus and Boeing equipment).
    I get to travel quite a lot to various conferences and cities, which gives me the opportunity to use my camera if there is time to do sightseeing.

And what about your family life?

I am married (23 years now and 30 years of living together) with two boys, who are aged 18 and 22 respectively. Both are still studying.
    It is fun to see that they do the same things I did when I was their age. Strangely enough though, some of the behaviour that I found normal back then is a cause of worry to me now.
    We also have two Cairn terriers (8 and 10 years old respectively) and they are huge fun to have around. They are also the only family members that never seem to mind when I point my camera at them.

If you were staying in tonight, what would you choose as one of your favourite books and/or films to keep you entertained, and what you be having as a favourite meal?

The evening would start with a pizza, homemade. I like cooking in the weekends and for the pizza I would make my own dough and sauce. I am still perfecting it, but I get frequent requests for this meal, so it must be ok. The pizza would be washed down with a Brand beer, a Dutch lager.
    I like a lot of books, but the one I read most over the years is Lord of the Rings by Tolkien. I used to read it on a yearly basis when younger and when the kids were growing up I also used to read from this book in the evenings before their bedtime. I must have read the entire book aloud at least four times.
    For movies, I would choose The Sting with Paul Newman and Robert Redford. I first saw the movie as a kid and liked the music (by Scott Joplin) and general atmosphere. There are better movies surely, but it just appeals to me.

EDITOR'S PICK #1

OK, photography is a given, but what about other hobbies or personal interests?

Well, reading is one of my big hobbies. I read practically everything that interests me, from mathematical puzzles (not my forte) to science fiction and fantasy. I have all Terry Pratchett’s Discworld books and I am fascinated by the fact that his last book was written, while he was already in an advanced stage of Alzheimer’s disease. I met Terry a number of years ago during a signing session in New York. To be frank, I love his writing, but didn’t like his live sense of humour. After seeing a BBC program though about how he dealt with Alzheimers disease my respect for him has grown tremendously. Alzheimers is a terrible disease and he is making a huge effort to bring Alzheimer’s disease under the public’s attention.

Well, I derailed this slightly, so back to the hobby question.

Since two years I play the guitar. My youngest son got me started actually and we now go to guitar concerts together on a regular basis.
    I also like to ride my motorcycle to work. It gets me through the Dutch traffic jams, if weather permits and is relaxing at the same time.

Let's get on to photography - how long have you been a photographer, and what got you interested in the first place?

I think it was my father that got me interested in photography at a young age. He gave me a foldable Ikonta when I was six or seven and taught me the basics of using aperture and shutter. He wasn’t that technical really and neither am I, so we always left the development process to the photo shop. At a later age I started using his Canon FT, which was a great strong and simple camera and when I left home I bought a Nikon FE2.
    The transition from film to digital wasn’t easy for me and actually put me off serious photography for a number of years because quality wise there wasn’t an alternative for the SLR. I am fifty now, so the interest has been there active and slightly dormant for a long time.

What type of photography are you interested in, and why?

A photograph, for me, should be as pure as possible and shot with natural light preferrably. I prefer to use higher ISO for indoor shots, but recently bought an advanced speedlight. I am not necessarily a fan of flash, but I am slowly getting to grips with it and exploring the possibilities of off-camera flash.

I admire the work of Henri Cartier Bresson or Alfred Stieglitz, especially their portraits. Cartier Bresson has some beautiful portraits, where the subject is in focus and the natural background is in soft focus. Fascinating photos! Apart from that I have always liked the kind of photos that you see in National Geographic.
    For myself, I like to shoot nature and macro photos. When I travel interesting cityscapes appeal to me.

Any particular photographic influences?

I guess so. I am not sure though who I would point to in particular. It is more about being inspired by beautiful photographs and taking up the camera because of that. Some of the National Geographic photographs have made a deep impression. Photographers such as Anton Corbijn, Joe McNally, Steve McCurry, Karl Grobl, Ed van der Elsken, Cartier Bresson, they all come to mind.
    People photography has always appealed to me and some of Cartier Bresson’s best work (for me) is exactly that.
    I am an omnivore I guess, I like a lot of different styles, but only practice a few myself.

What do you hope to achieve through your photography - or what have you achieved already?

I am an amateur and I make photographs because I like the memory they represent. Some photos will appeal more to me than others and I can really enjoy looking through them. I always enjoy photo books from good photographers, but if you took the actual photo yourself and you remember the actual circumstances it is even better.
    If other people like it as well, that is nice, but it doesn’t really mean much, as I am not in this for the money.
    I like the comments in the forum. Apart from the technical hints and tips it makes you realize that tastes differ greatly.
    Coming back to the memory part, now and then the family asks to look through an album (or folders in the computer nowadays) together. That is huge fun and the biggest compliment for me is to see the smiles on their faces. They don’t care about things like aperture, shutter speed or rule of thirds, they just like the memory it brings back.

Come to think of it, that is probably why I like some of the old photographers so much. They transport you back in time for a short moment and it is fascinating to think that anyone with a camera has that ability.

What you think of CiC? Any way it could be improved? Where should it go from here, in your opinion?

I like the forum. The atmosphere is good and the members are very helpful.
    Compared to some other forums it is not too strict and not too loose and the focus is on photography and not on other unrelated subjects.
    My feeling is that we should treasure what we have. There is respect here for opinions and a general lack of nasty discussions. It is about the photographs and the equipment, not about ego or making a point. This is why I am here in the first place.
    I would like to see a Private For Sale section on CiC. I do buy some of my lenses secondhand in the Netherlands. The forum seems like a good place for such transactions as well. I have a feeling that the members would respect each other and that there could be trust.

Getting more personal if you don't mind...what keeps you awake at night, apart from Photoshop?

Photoshop certainly doesn’t do that! I use Gimp and I am very happy with it. As I indicated earlier I like my photographs as natural as possible, so I mainly do some basic tweaking (levels) and sharpening.
    The only thing guaranteed to keep me awake is the desire to buy something that is on the expensive side. I will lie in my bed trying to justify the acquisition of a piece of equipment to myself. It is actually a pleasant kind of worry.
    The last time this happened was about a Nikkor 70-200mm VR F/2.8 lens that I could buy secondhand. In the end it figured out I didn’t really need it, but it was tempting.

I have to ask this…. What photographic gear do you own, and what software do you use for editing?

Recently all the old equipment I still had, like the Nikon FE2 and some old AI lenses, was sold. I have had a few digital Coolpix cameras over the years, but the quality was never really good enough for my taste.
    When the Nikon D90 and later the D7000 entered the house I decided it was finally good enough again and started to sell all the old stuff. Thanks to the new Nikon I really enjoy photography again. I started with just one modern lens, the Nikkor 18-200mm, but from there went on to buy some other lenses as well.
    When I travel light, on a business trip, I take a Ricoh GX200 along. It is terrible in the dark, with lots of noise, but in good light the photos I shoot with it are good enough. The settings give almost the same flexibility as a SLR.
    When I bought the DSLR it had to be Nikon, that is the brand I have always loved. In spite of the heavy weight, I really like shooting with a SLR again. Shooting pleasure has doubled or tripled I guess.

EDITOR'S PICK #2

It’s a tough one to answer, but how would you rate your photographic skills and ability?

That is not really tough. I am a mediocre photographer and I am not being modest. I like some of the pictures I shoot and I can figure out pretty well how to get a particular shot, but there is still a lot to learn. Luckily I am not discouraged by that. There is a certain magic to shooting photos and that keeps me going.
    I love digital and the fact that I can see almost immediately how a shot has turned out. I get the argument that some people have about analogue film being of a much better quality than digital, but I just don’t care. Digital is much more convenient for me.

What will the digital camera be like in 2020? And will you still own one?

I will still own one, as I can’t imagine not liking photography anymore. Probably everything will be smaller by then and the possibilities and quality should have increased further.
    I like the feel of a camera and don’t mind the weight of it, so I would be happiest if the looks of the old fashioned camera would still be around. I don’t believe in one lens that can do everything, so my wish list is limited.
    I would like a better small camera though to take with me on short trips. Good quality photos from possibly a bigger sensor and improved low light capabilities.

Are you in a position to help or encourage others in their photography?

Not really at the moment, except for the occasional tip to someone who wants to upgrade. Most people I meet don’t want or need a camera that is too complicated. I guess if you haven’t worked with manual cameras in the past, you don’t immediately see the use and fun of making adjustments in shutter speed and aperture yourself if the camera is already programmed to do that for you. I hope to get my sons more interested in time.

Another tough one for you…do you consider photography to be art?

Some photography perhaps, but I would like to put boundaries around this concept. Photography is a way to express yourself, just like painting or filming is, so yes it can be art.
    If I have to compare it to painting I would say that only a very small percentage of the painters really make art in my opinion. The rest are amateurs, good or bad or paint for a living, but they don’t produce art.
    My view on photography is not very different from that. Some photography can be art, because the quality or uniqueness is recognizable as such. A lot of photography is just that though, photography. It records something, which sometimes will be unique, because it shows you an era that has gone forever or the photo itself is beautiful, but still that is not sufficient to qualify as art.
    I recently read an interview with Joost van den Broek, a Dutch professional photographer. He described himself as a craftsman and I agree. In most cases that is what good photography is, a craft.

How do you feel about having your own shot taken?

No problem with that, but lots of times I don’t like the end result. I think a lot of people have that experience when they view themselves. It is like listening to a tape of yourself talking. You sound different than you have imagined. And I get slightly impatient if someone takes too long, because then the spontaneity is gone. All of that shows up in the result.

What single piece of advice do you think is most useful to someone starting out with photography?

Experiment a lot. Don’t be afraid to change camera settings (remember them though if there is no easy reset!) and see what different effects can do for the photo. I forget to experiment, because I am already set in my ways and because of that sometimes you forget to look at some nice features that a camera has. Try different viewpoints and different lenses if you can.

Can we see two of your shots that mean something special to you, and could you explain why.

This was taken on my first trip to New York. I had just bought a Coolpix 8700 at BH and New York was just as I had imagined from all the movies I had seen over the years. The photo in itself isn’t great, but for me the atmosphere was just what I was looking for.

Last year I took the family on a trip to the US. In Monument Valley we stayed at the View Hotel and this is the actual view from the room. The hotel itself is integrated into the park in a very natural way and run by the local Navajo tribe. It was probably the last time we were able to take both the kids on a holiday, so it is a dear memory.

Finally, can you give us one interesting/weird/silly thing about you that we probably don’t know?

All of the companies that I used to work for in the past (8 in total) have disappeared as such. I joked about this when I started at my previous company and told them they should be aware of this. Four years later the company was gone.

That's all we have time for, Peter. Thank you for taking the time to talk to CiC.

It was quite fun to do this and thank you Donald for your efforts in putting this together.

Click here to read all the other interviews in the series

Real Name
    Thierry

Re: In conversation with ...... Letrow

I've just discovered these conversations. Great Ideas which allows to know better others

Real Name
    Willie or Jiro is fine by me.

A very interesting read about you, Peter. I see some similarities, of which I am also delighted to know that I am not the only one who started to use Canon Cameras and preferred Nikon later. Henri Cartier Bresson is also a very big favorite of mine. Thank you very much for sharing.
    Last edited by Donald; 4th June 2011 at 07:59 PM.

rob marshall

The evening would start with a pizza, homemade. I like cooking in the weekends and for the pizza I would make my own dough and sauce. I am still perfecting it, but I get frequent requests for this meal, so it must be ok.
    Peter

Sorry, but I simply can't let that one go by without comment. I am the undisputed master of pizza making (especially the base). Italians curse me in the street. Prepare yourself for a Masterclass...

I use a breadmaker. It's far quicker, easier and cleaner than doing it by hand. I have a Panasonic SD257, which is an excellent machine, and has a special pizze base setting. http://www.google.co.uk/products/cat...ed=0CGAQ8wIwAQ

For the bases I use non-stick pizza trays, like this one http://www.amazon.co.uk/Master-Class...7252529&sr=8-1

For the Panasonic machine you need

300g white strong flour. The stronger the better as that gives elasticity.
    170ml water
    I tsp salt
    0.5 tsp dried yeast
    1 tbs olive oil

The breadmaker does it all, up to the rolling stage.

When it's done I take it out of the machine and let it prove for 10 mins.

I then divide the mixture (this makes 2 bases). I then roll out each piece to about half the required size and place it over my left hand, which is balled into a fist. It will droop down around your hand (but it won't break). Gently tease it out by pulling at the edges with your other hand.

You need to have previously greased the trays with olive oil using a pastry brush. Place the base onto the tray when it's the correct size. If you have overspill on the edges, just cut it with a pizza wheel. Place both trays in a pre-heated oven at 210deg. I have a 'pizza base' setting on my oven, but the normal setting is fine. Leave in the oven for exactly 2 mins, then remove from oven, turn over the base using a wide kitchen palette knife (or just pick it up). Put it back in the oven to do the other side for a further two minutes. Remove from oven and allow to cool for a few minutes. What this does is dry out the base slightly, making it firmer and crispier. It also stops the sauce and other wet products soaking into the base.

Place your sauce and toppings onto the bases and cook in the oven for about 11 mins.

They are best eaten cold. And you can fold them over, so they are great for picnics, or photo-shoots (I knew I'd get back on track eventually).

This is a great skill to develop. Much more use than photography. Women will worship you, children will think you are God. But the Italians won't like it.

I enjoyed reading your In Conversation. But I have to say that I enjoy my pizza more.

Real Name
    Kay

Thankyou Peter for sharing some of 'your story so far' with us.
    Rob has once again tried to derail us with his pizza making skills - so it will be interesting to see if you try his recipe!
    At least he shared it, I think katy was quite coy on her famous scones recipe

I find it interesting how many here have playing/learning a musical instrument as another hobby/passion - for myself i would love to be able to play the piano - yet i was hopeless at it as a child....maybe 1 day I will try it again.

I share your love of reading - though I must confess even with the movie being made in my home country - I still have not read 'Lord of the Rings' - terrible I know!
    But I most definitely have seen the movie 'The Sting' and I too would rate that as a real favourite of mine.

So thankyou again for sharing something of yourself - it is great to find out more of what we have in common....... or in the case of cooking - what we don't have
    (I have a well deserved reputation as the southern hemisphere's worst cook! )

Hello, Peter! It's wonderful to hear from you in this way. What an interesting interview from start to finish and, now, there's so much that I could comment on....

The Lord of the Rings....isn't Tolkien a wonderful storyteller? He just is! I didn't read the stories over and over again, though, because, after I read it the first time, I wanted to forget that Gandalf died before I read it again. It took me ten years. Now, of course, I just read them at will.

I so agree with you about NYC and I love your photograph!

I, also, appreciate your approach to photography and thoughts about the camera - good advice to not get stuck and to think outside of the box.

Basically, it seems like wonderful people come out of the Netherlands - I've observed it time and time again....

Real Name
    Hans

Nice to read something about someone out of my own area.
    Now I also notice the content of your username Peter

Real Name
    Peter

Quote Originally Posted by jiro View Post
    I see some similarities, of which I am also delighted to know that I am not the only one who started to use Canon Cameras and preferred Nikon later.
    I like that too.

Real Name
    Peter

Quote Originally Posted by rob marshall View Post
    Peter

Sorry, but I simply can't let that one go by without comment. I am the undisputed master of pizza making (especially the base). Italians curse me in the street. Prepare yourself for a Masterclass...

I use a breadmaker. It's far quicker, easier and cleaner than doing it by hand. I have a Panasonic SD257, which is an excellent machine, and has a special pizze base setting. http://www.google.co.uk/products/cat...ed=0CGAQ8wIwAQ

For the bases I use non-stick pizza trays, like this one http://www.amazon.co.uk/Master-Class...7252529&sr=8-1

For the Panasonic machine you need

300g white strong flour. The stronger the better as that gives elasticity.
    170ml water
    I tsp salt
    0.5 tsp dried yeast
    1 tbs olive oil

The breadmaker does it all, up to the rolling stage.

When it's done I take it out of the machine and let it prove for 10 mins.

I then divide the mixture (this makes 2 bases). I then roll out each piece to about half the required size and place it over my left hand, which is balled into a fist. It will droop down around your hand (but it won't break). Gently tease it out by pulling at the edges with your other hand.

You need to have previously greased the trays with olive oil using a pastry brush. Place the base onto the tray when it's the correct size. If you have overspill on the edges, just cut it with a pizza wheel. Place both trays in a pre-heated oven at 210deg. I have a 'pizza base' setting on my oven, but the normal setting is fine. Leave in the oven for exactly 2 mins, then remove from oven, turn over the base using a wide kitchen palette knife (or just pick it up). Put it back in the oven to do the other side for a further two minutes. Remove from oven and allow to cool for a few minutes. What this does is dry out the base slightly, making it firmer and crispier. It also stops the sauce and other wet products soaking into the base.

Place your sauce and toppings onto the bases and cook in the oven for about 11 mins.

They are best eaten cold. And you can fold them over, so they are great for picnics, or photo-shoots (I knew I'd get back on track eventually).

This is a great skill to develop. Much more use than photography. Women will worship you, children will think you are God. But the Italians won't like it.

I enjoyed reading your In Conversation. But I have to say that I enjoy my pizza more.
    So we compete on pizzas huh? I like to make the dough by hand, but tbh, if it had to be done in bigger quantities I would probably go your way. After some experimenting I use a dough made of flower (500 grams), some salt, yeast and water. After kneading it I let it rest to rise for a couple of hours. Then I add some oil and some dried thyme, knead it again and have it rise for the second time. The dough bakes better I found when it is slightly on the moist side.
    What is interesting in your way of baking the pizza is that you bake the dough before you add the other ingredients. That would certainly help in getting it crisp.
    But I use a pizza stone (heavy and two centimeters thick) in my oven and a temperature of approximately 250 degrees Celsius. 4 to 5 minutes is often enough to get a good crust and nicely melted cheese on top.

(and you can't beat my toppings anyway)

Real Name
    Peter

Quote Originally Posted by Katy Noelle View Post

Basically, it seems like wonderful people come out of the Netherlands - I've observed it time and time again....
    Thanks Katy for the nice comments. And yes, we are simply the best (and modest about it too).
    I just laughed out loud when I saw your comment on Gandalf and wanting to forget he died
    I always envy my wife when we watch movies for a second or third time. She forgets everything that happens and I can't

Real Name
    Peter

Quote Originally Posted by Hansm View Post
    Now I also notice the content of your username Peter
    Quite a trick, right? As a native Dutch speaker you are one of the few to notice I guess
    Last edited by Letrow; 10th June 2011 at 09:48 AM.

Real Name
    Peter

Thanks for taking the time to tell your story Peter. I do enjoy he series and ability to get to know members just that little bit better.