Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: One for Abhi: Emerald Boa

Real Name
    Bill S

One for Abhi: Emerald Boa

I figured I'd share this one - mainly for Abhi to illustrate some of the suggestions I mentioned in this thread.

This shot of an Emerald Boa was taken at the Columbus Zoo, so it is shot through an acrylic enclosure.

I know I did not do the deeper DoF as I suggested, but in this shot, I was actually looking to focus specifically on the heat receptor pits on the front of the face that the snake uses to track prey. So I intentionally left the eye blur. I've received both critiques of this shot saying I should have focused on the eye and saying that in this case leaving the eye blur worked well, so take that for what it is worth.

But you can see how I shifted the perspective to the side so that I wasn't trying to fight against the physical shape of the snake's head - though an emerald boa is a fairly narrow headed constrictor as they're an arboreal snake and eat mostly birds.

One for Abhi: Emerald Boa

C&C welcome, thanks for viewing.

- Bill

Real Name
    2 penny for the guess..

Re: One for Abhi: Emerald Boa

I like the "dragon look". I know how paintfull might be to shoot trough glass+acrilyc in some places, especially when light come from one side.

Leo
    PS: There are three shaded areas in front, I wander if you make them darker will increase a bit the impact ( I didn't drink enough coffee in this morning...so...)

Real Name
    Abhi

Thank you, Bill. We have had guests over, so I have not been able to respond properly to your insightful, and helpful critique in the other thread. You have made some important points that I will keep in mind in future.

That photo was taken at the Nandankanan zoo, and the snake (Indian Rock Python) was behind glass/acrylic. I think I have a couple of shots that you would find more interesting. I will share those, and my thoughts behind selecting the one that I shared, sometime over the next couple of days.

In your photo, I like the "dragon look", as Leo put it, as well. Looks like a small green crocodile from this angle. Though, you can count me in the group who would prefer the eyes to be little more in focus.

Thanks,
    Abhi

Real Name
    Bill S

Leo - yeah shooting through zoo enclosures is always a challenge. I think I understand what you mean about the shaded areas (the three heat pits).

Abhi - Glad you liked it. The good thing about that snake being in a zoo is you have the opportunity to go back and try again - something I have to do quite frequently...

Like I said, I've had plenty of people both ways on the eyes in this photo. If I were smart, I would have taken both so I could compare and see which I liked better too.

The reason I like the way it is now, is it gives that feeling that if you happened to be walking through the jungle and you saw that, and your eyes focused on the tip of the nose, and then you realized that that is an eye just out of focus, you'd have that momentary thought of 'Oh, crap!' but it would probably be too late and you'd be dinner. Of course I'm channeling the thoughts of a mouse or something, but still...

- Bill