Abhi

Snake Eyes

Snake Eyes
    Canon Digital Rebel, 55-250mm IS @ 250mm @ f/6.3 for 1/125s, ISO 400

Real Name
    Bill S

Re: Snake Eyes

Abhi,

I like the idea, I love the subject, but I have to be honest and say that I think the execution is lacking a bit.

First, I've shot plenty of snakes (including designer breeds when I owned my pet store), and so I know how incredibly difficult they are to photograph. The whole purpose of a snake's color pattern is to confuse visual systems (like our eyes, their prey's eyes, potential predator's eyes, and yes... even a camera), so the challenge you're undertaking is a difficult one! And those are some pretty cryptic eyes to begin with - to an unaccustomed eye, it could take quite a while to figure out what's what in the shot... mainly because that is exactly what the snake wants!

Add to that the fact that the eyes are not as forward facing as we're used to with many subjects, and that makes it very difficult to get both eyes to be a focal point because of the space between them (especially on a large constrictor like this with a broad, flat head), and so they become two separate focal points. It can be done with the right snake (eyelash viper, gaboon viper, small colubrids, etc) that either have facial features that allow you to tie the whole face together or narrower faces that keep thinks compact. A bit more DoF might have worked to bring the nose into clarity to help tie things together, but then that also draws away from the eyes being the main focal point.

And then there are a couple other 'mistakes' I find distracting... First, the eyes are not level - with the snake's pattern being largely symmetrical, you probably should have paid attention to that and made sure everything in the shot was fairly balanced. Also, the nose is in shadow, causing a large dark spot in the center of the shot that draws my attention away from the eyes. And then the reflection hot spots in the middle of that shadow just make it worse.

A couple things that might help next time you get a chance like this (was this in a zoo or in the wild?)....
    • Try a little more DoF: I know it would take away from the eyes being the main focal point, but it will help tie the whole face together and make the shot more identifiable for the viewer. They'll likely find the eyes on their own at that point.
    • Try a slightly different angle - either shoot down from slightly above the snake, or slightly angled from one side. This one is affected by the DoF in the previous suggestion, so if you're getting things to work with just added DoF, you can keep the straight on perspective.
    • Wait for the tongue! Watch the snake for a bit, and wait for the classic tongue flicker. I know it changes the focus of the shot away from the eyes, but with this front-on approach, it makes for a very interesting shot.

I know I was pretty rough on some of my C&C, but I only did that because I see definite potential in a shot like this, and I'd love to see you take the advice and put it together for the perfect shot! I really do like this shot. I've tried many like it, and I'm still working on getting that perfect shot too... so keep at it!

Nice work! Keep 'em coming!

- Bill

PS: I really do want to know if this was in a zoo or in the wild... as both situations bring with them a different set of difficulties. But either way, I think you did well at eliminating those difficulties (evident as I can't tell which setting it is from).

Real Name
    Abhi

Quote Originally Posted by ktuli View Post
    I know I was pretty rough on some of my C&C, but I only did that because I see definite potential in a shot like this, and I'd love to see you take the advice and put it together for the perfect shot! I really do like this shot. I've tried many like it, and I'm still working on getting that perfect shot too... so keep at it!

Nice work! Keep 'em coming!

- Bill
    Now the guests are gone, and I can play catch up. Thank you for the detailed critique, Bill. And it's not rough at all.

I did take some photos at different angles, and with more DOF. Here are some shots where the eye, and the snake are both better identifiable. I suspect you might like them better.

Snake Eyes

Snake Eyes

Personally, I find these a little boring. The original one that I shared is still may favorite. I have leveled the eyes. Thanks for pointing that out. To me, the fact that the eyes could be a little hard to identify adds to the drama in the photo. There is a leading line of the snakes neck from the top, and two black lines behind the nose that kind of lead to the eyes, which I was able to get a good focus on. The reflection on the nose is annoying, and probably hard to get past. I have tried burning it a little but this is the best I could do. But, the drama in this photo makes it my pick among these.

As for that tongue flick, sadly, the snake did put on a show earlier but its attempts were thwarted by an amateur handling the camera, who forgot to keep an eye on the shutter speed. For what it's worth, here is the best that I have. I did go back a little later when my mistake dawned on me, but the tongue didn't appear again.

Snake Eyes

PS: In case I did not mention in the other post, this was taken at a zoo. The snake was behind a glass/acrylic enclosure.

Real Name
    Bill S

Abhi,

While some of these other shots have merit, I think I do agree with you that I still like the first one the best too. Of this most recent set, I like the first the best, though I think I'd have moved a little to the left to get more snake and less ground in the shot.

Keep them coming!

- Bill

Real Name
    Abhi

Quote Originally Posted by ktuli View Post
    Abhi,

Of this most recent set, I like the first the best, though I think I'd have moved a little to the left to get more snake and less ground in the shot.

Keep them coming!

- Bill
    Thanks, Bill I did shoot more of the snake in the first one for the recent set. But half of the other eye was obscured by the snake's body. So, I chose this 4x5 crop. I wish I could get him to pose as nicely as Jiro was able to. I am not sure when I will be able to photograph snakes again, but here's a butterfly!