Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: "I'm well"

Real Name
    Michael Farrand

"I'm well"

I will probably re-shoot this image as I dont think people can understand the scale of the tree in the image. Walking through the cemetery I saw this unattended grave. Apparently a tree over a meter thick has completely covered the stone except for one part.

I now give you my twisted sense for humor. Enjoy.

"I'm well"
    Last edited by KTHXBAI; 27th May 2011 at 04:00 AM.

Real Name
    Shannon

Re: "I'm well"

That's REALLY cool! IDK if I would shoot it again.. I like it like that.

Real Name
    Keith

I agree with Shannon, this picture is really cool.

Real Name
    2 penny for the guess..

If you are going to re-shot this, only for my personal curiosity, can you doing this in the following way ?

With your wide angle lens, set it for 18mm ( or lower value if you have), lay down on your belly, @ 1-1.5m from the three/stone, and with camera in : 1st- portret- make a shoot, 2nd - landscape - another shoot ( but put the "well" in the lower rirght third)

Good luck

Leo

Real Name
    Bill S

Mike,

I think to get this shot wider, you're going to have to get in right next to the stone to keep it visible. The tree and stone are so well blended in your B&W that if you backed up any to get more of the massiveness of the tree into the shot, you'd completely lose the headstone. With a wide-angle lens, you'll have to use perspective distortion to make the headstone seem larger by getting in close to it.

Good luck!

- Bill

PS: Where was this shot?

Real Name
    Michael Farrand

Quote Originally Posted by ktuli View Post
    Mike,

I think to get this shot wider, you're going to have to get in right next to the stone to keep it visible. The tree and stone are so well blended in your B&W that if you backed up any to get more of the massiveness of the tree into the shot, you'd completely lose the headstone. With a wide-angle lens, you'll have to use perspective distortion to make the headstone seem larger by getting in close to it.

Good luck!

- Bill

PS: Where was this shot?
    That is exactly what I was afraid of. This was actually taken with the wide angle and then cropped. My other problem that I have is.. what was surrounding the tree. Not only has it engulfed a graverstone but it has also taken a fence with it. Unfortunatly not a pretty fence a galvanized XXXXX kind. (One could only wish for an black iron fence) I may try to do a PP in color and try and make the grave stick out. I converted to BW BC the grave was dark and got lost in the image. Also i think for people to understand this image I had to explain it. In my mind it doesn't make a it a great photograph dioes that make sense?

However I plan to go back (to the Allgheny Cemetary in Lawrenceville since you asked) and take some more. Maybe the Ivey will be in full swing at a later time also.
    Last edited by KTHXBAI; 27th May 2011 at 12:26 PM.

Real Name
    Michael Farrand

Also I'm surprised no one commented on the title. I give you comedic gold and I get nothing. Get it? I'm well? I'm dead? Grave says well?

[crickets chirping...]

oh thanks for your comments Shannonon, Keith, Leo and Bill.
    Last edited by KTHXBAI; 27th May 2011 at 12:27 PM.

Hmmmm, it looks like this is a beautiful shot, to me. The only thing is the black and white - I'm still working on PP, myself. It seems like it needs more "white" or more contrast or to be more "crisp". Perhaps someone else understands better? But, the tree is absolutely gorgeous! It looks like something from Tolkien.

In a graveyard in a town nearby, there's a tombstone that reads, "I told you I was sick!" (Not kidding!)

Real Name
    Michael Farrand

Quote Originally Posted by Katy Noelle View Post
    It seems like it needs more "white" or more contrast or to be more "crisp".
    I apologize my monitor has been driving me crazy lately ... It does look a little dark on my work monitor. At home it looks the way i think you want to see it.

Quote Originally Posted by KTHXBAI View Post
    I apologize my monitor has been driving me crazy lately ... It does look a little dark on my work monitor. At home it looks the way i think you want to see it.
    Oh, I can sooooo relate!