Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Flashed Poppy (or "Making up for the Adult Spider Content")

Real Name
    Bill S

Flashed Poppy (or "Making up for the Adult Spider Content")

Ok - I'm sure that the ladies here figure I owe them one for the earlier spider thread, so I figured I'd share these interesting shots I took of our first poppy blossom.

To take the shot, I focused on the inside of the flower, and then used my flash to illuminate the flower from the outside. The effect caused everything to have the strong reddish orange color cast from the petals. To take the shot, I was holding my 7D with the 100mm macro lens in one hand and reaching down below the poppy to aim the flash, so the focus looks a little soft (though I can't tell if it is from camera shake or from the diffused light). I tried again tonight with a tripod, but the flower's petals were closed up after a rainstorm and it didn't work out at all.

I personally like the shots - I think they almost have an electron microscope feel to them, but I'd appreciate some C&C on the technique and see if others like the shots and how I could possibly improve them.

Thanks for viewing!

- Bill
    Last edited by ktuli; 27th May 2011 at 02:02 AM.

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Re: Flashed Poppy (or "Making up for the Adult Spider Content")

Quote Originally Posted by ktuli View Post
    Ok - I'm sure that the ladies here figure I owe them one for the earlier spider thread, so I figured I'd share these interesting shots I took of our first poppy blossom.
    Bill - When you're in a hole, stop digging!!

Real Name
    Bill S

Quote Originally Posted by Donald View Post
    Bill - When you're in a hole, stop digging!!
    Apparently! I'm gettin' no love at all on these shots...

Oh well, I like 'em.

Don't worry, Bill! I wasn't offended by your spider thread - not at all! I don't go into those kind of establishments (threads with the dreaded S*****s in them.) The thought was very kindly, though. I did see this earlier, but hadn't honed my thoughts about them. Actually, words aren't coming easily for me today so I'll just take a stab at it, now. First off, I can see why you're fascinated with them. Nifty! I like the organic patterns - especially in #2. The textures of the flower are beautiful. I think that the reason they don't "ping", though, is because there really isn't enough light on the darkest and most prominent part of the flower. More light would not only help catch our attention but, also, i think that it would have helped you to have gotten those parts more tack sharp. Hope that makes sense.

keep posting photos, Bill! I like to see your vision!