Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Bursting at the Seams

Real Name
    Frank Miller

Bursting at the Seams

I am trying my hand at shooting and PP flowers. Not sure what this one is but I liked the colors and the fact that the buds don't stand on a stalk as most flowers do. It's a tad out of focus so hopefully I can learn some sharpening techniques. I am also trying to learn layers and masking techniques in PS. Any C & C is warmly welcomed.

Bursting at the Seams

Real Name
    Willie or Jiro is fine by me.

Re: Bursting at the Seams

Nice colors, Frank. Maybe a bit saturated for me. The orientation of the flower (pointing downward) seems to be a bit unique and different. If this is my shot I would probably extract the flower and the buds then orient it upward then rotate it a little bit. I would then clean up the background then further blur it a little bit for more separation from the main subject. Just an idea from a guy with too much coffee in the morning. Hehehe. What kind of flower is this if I may ask?

rob marshall

It's a Fuchsia.

I like the way you have captured the flower, but not sure about the background. What aperture was it? It looks very slightly bright on my monitor.

Real Name
    Steve

Hi frank, it is indeed a fuchsia. I just photographed one a couple weeks ago..............................

Bursting at the Seams

I was also having trouble isolating it from the background, so i clipped a nice cluster and hung it in a place with a suitable background. In my case, the background was a row of pine trees about 20 feet behind the flower. It's important you leave enough space between the flower and background, because you'll need a small aperature to get it in focus. I shot at f/11 and 420mm (i don't have a macro lens so i use my 300mm or 300 + 1.4TC) The space between the flower and background allowed me to get a good blur at f/11. Also , shooting flowers is best done in very soft light of morning or evening, or on a cloudy day. Hope this helps.

Real Name
    Frank Miller

Quote Originally Posted by jiro View Post
    Nice colors, Frank. Maybe a bit saturated for me. The orientation of the flower (pointing downward) seems to be a bit unique and different. If this is my shot I would probably extract the flower and the buds then orient it upward then rotate it a little bit. I would then clean up the background then further blur it a little bit for more separation from the main subject. Just an idea from a guy with too much coffee in the morning. Hehehe. What kind of flower is this if I may ask?
    Thank you for the comments! I started again. This time I toned down the saturation a bit and replaced the background with some darkened foliage. The flower is a Blue Eyes Fuchsia so I am told. The brown background in the original was the pot the flowers are planted in. I used Puppet Warp and added a bit of Transform to make the subject narrow and cocked slightly to fit a Portrait orientation. I like the way you add a border on your shots so I thought I'd try to see what that entails as well. Any better?

Bursting at the Seams

Real Name
    Frank Miller

Quote Originally Posted by rob marshall View Post
    It's a Fuchsia.

I like the way you have captured the flower, but not sure about the background. What aperture was it? It looks very slightly bright on my monitor.
    Hi Rob, It was F/5 at 1/25th hand held. I was in a nursery and couldn't set up a tripod. The picture I found on Wikipedia was quite bright as well but I toned this one down a bit.

Here is the untouched (except to reduce the size) shot from Wikipedia.

Bursting at the Seams

Real Name
    Frank Miller

Hi Steve, I really like the way you set the flower up dangling from it's vine! Thanks for the shooting tips!

Real Name
    Steve

Your second shot is much better frank. If you give more room between the flower and background, you will get a smooth blur with will make the flower stand out more.

Real Name
    Frank Miller

Thank you. I like it better as well with the tips that you, Rob, and Willie have been kind enough to provide. I'll be looking for that opportunity! Thanks Steve!

If you want to improve your masking and layers skill, Frank, have a good read of the information here http://www.ronbigelow.com/articles/articles.htm

The only suggestion I would add is that it is often necessary to remove a few stray leaves or flower buds to get a good clean image, including background. Although garden centres aren't always sympathetic.

Real Name
    Frank Miller

Wow Geoff, that looks like an excellent read and a lot of great stuff! It'll take some time to absorb but it looks like it will be well worth the effort. Thanks!