Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Color Halos

Real Name
    Frank Miller

Color Halos

I have been trying to get a realistic rendering of what I saw when I shot The Winthrop Eagle monument. With much effort, I have made some progress even though the shot is underexposed but perhaps the most frustrating and annoying part is the blue halo. How can I either avoid or remove it? Any other C & C?

This was the original...

Color Halos

... and this is as far as I could get with it. <sigh>

Color Halos

Any help would be welcomed!

Real Name
    Willie or Jiro is fine by me.

Re: Color Halos

method 1: Extract the statue on a separate layer then sample the color of the background and make a new layer using the background color as your fill. Bring back the statue layer and put it on top on the layer hierarchy.

method 2: make a quick selection of the statue, copy it on a new layer (press CTRL + J). Slowly clean up the blue halo using your clone tool. This is the most time consuming part.

method 3: open the image in ACR then use the camera profile manual color aberration correction feature. (although I think the halo was caused by the post-processing and not from the camera).

I have to say you did a very fine job restoring the color and shine of the eagle on your pp, Frank.

Quote Originally Posted by FrankMi View Post
    The Winthrop Eagle monument.
    My grad school Alma mater!
    I know what you mean about the color halo, I fight them as well.

Real Name
    Remco

To me it looks like an over-sharpening halo? Did you by any chance use a deconvolution sharpening?

Remco

Real Name
    Frank Miller

Quote Originally Posted by jiro View Post
    method 1: Extract the statue on a separate layer then sample the color of the background and make a new layer using the background color as your fill. Bring back the statue layer and put it on top on the layer hierarchy.

method 2: make a quick selection of the statue, copy it on a new layer (press CTRL + J). Slowly clean up the blue halo using your clone tool. This is the most time consuming part.

method 3: open the image in ACR then use the camera profile manual color aberration correction feature. (although I think the halo was caused by the post-processing and not from the camera).

I have to say you did a very fine job restoring the color and shine of the eagle on your pp, Frank.
    You've done it again Willie! I used method 1 with a little touch-up from method 2 and it worked! Here is the result...

Color Halos

Thank you for the kind comments. They really help when you've spent all day beating your head against the wall! LOL

Real Name
    Willie or Jiro is fine by me.

Wow! Awesome work on the edit, Frank. If you change the background, there is a lot of ways to make this image go soar high! Nice work. Congrats.

Real Name
    Frank Miller

Quote Originally Posted by Frankie View Post
    My grad school Alma mater!
    I know what you mean about the color halo, I fight them as well.
    Rock Hill, SC? Super! I went there yesterday for a photoshoot. This was the first shot I tried to PP. Enjoy!

Real Name
    Frank Miller

Quote Originally Posted by revi View Post
    To me it looks like an over-sharpening halo? Did you by any chance use a deconvolution sharpening?

Remco
    Hi Remco, this was actually three identical shots merged at varying Opacity rates (33%, 50%, and 100%) to reduce the noise. The originals show a slight halo but once I processed each identically in ACR (no sharpening at that point) and merged them, the halo was much more pronounced. I'm not sure what deconvolution sharpening is but after the merge I did a Capture Sharpening before starting the other adjustments.

Real Name
    Michael Farrand

Quote Originally Posted by FrankMi View Post
    Thank you for the kind comments. They really help when you've spent all day beating your head against the wall! LOL
    I once asked a person in a mental hospital why he hits his head on the wall. He replied, "Because it feels so good when you stop."