Thread: Elements and Lightroom Question

Real Name
    Randy

Elements and Lightroom Question

Does Elements or Lightroom allow batch processing in ACR. My Nikon program allows me to do this but keeps crashing. I reloaded a few times and still same problem. I want to upgrade to Elements 9 or Lightroom 3. Leaning toward Lightroom for its noise reduction.

Randy

Real Name
    Willie or Jiro is fine by me.

Re: Elements and Lightroom Question

Regarding Lightroom, YES, you can. That is one of the great features of LR 3. You can apply one generic develop settings to an image, select the adjacent images that you want to have the same adjustments and hit the sync button and all the remaining images will have the same adjustment as the first edited image. Pretty handy if you the same exposure on a set of images like studio shots. Hope this helps, Randy.

Real Name
    Randy

Yes it does help, thanks Willie. I shoot alot of sports and have 15- 30 shots with tbe same exp. would like to make one adjustment vs 30.

Randy

Real Name
    John

Quote Originally Posted by Badcast View Post
    Yes it does help, thanks Willie. I shoot alot of sports and have 15- 30 shots with tbe same exp. would like to make one adjustment vs 30.

Randy
    you should consider upgrading your system resources, the workload would be the same with either program.

Real Name
    Randy

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowman View Post
    you should consider upgrading your system resources, the workload would be the same with either program.
    John, could you be more specific, my system resources, Im a little computer challenged.

Randy

Real Name
    John

John, could you be more specific, my system resources, Im a little computer challenged.

Randy
    Randy,

Either your processor isn't fast enough or you don't have enough memory. What model computer are you using and is it from the box or did you do any upgrading? Usually program crashes are caused by a computer that doesn't have enough memory or the processor isn't fast enough to handle the workload.

Real Name
    Randy

Randy,

Either your processor isn't fast enough or you don't have enough memory. What model computer are you using and is it from the box or did you do any upgrading? Usually program crashes are caused by a computer that doesn't have enough memory or the processor isn't fast enough to handle the workload.
    Thanks John, you could be right. I use a laptop with 3g of ram and 250g of memory with 180 in use. I take it on site with me for viewing. I dont think I can upgrade a laptop. I guess a desktop is better for this type of work.

Randy

Real Name
    John

Thanks John, you could be right. I use a laptop with 3g of ram and 250g of memory with 180 in use. I take it on site with me for viewing. I dont think I can upgrade a laptop. I guess a desktop is better for this type of work.

Randy
    Randy,

Both programs have minimum system requirements needing at least a 2GHZ processor and 2GB of RAM. Most laptops can be upgraded, check your model, however some older models have expensive memory sticks and as you said a new computer may be needed. I use a laptop, so don't let that limit your options,

Real Name
    Randy

Randy,

Both programs have minimum system requirements needing at least a 2GHZ processor and 2GB of RAM. Most laptops can be upgraded, check your model, however some older models have expensive memory sticks and as you said a new computer may be needed. I use a laptop, so don't let that limit your options,
    I like the mobility of my laptop. What would you recomend for a solid operating system. I would use it for my image PP, loading to website, and slide shows for displays

Randy

Real Name
    John

I like the mobility of my laptop. What would you recomend for a solid operating system. I would use it for my image PP, loading to website, and slide shows for displays

Randy
    When you say operating system I am assuming you mean the system requirements of the laptop or are you referring to the version of Windows operating system?

Real Name
    Randy

When you say operating system I am assuming you mean the system requirements of the laptop or are you referring to the version of Windows operating system?
    Yes, the operating system requirements of the laptop. Sorry for taking so long to respond, Im on the road this week and don't have my laptop with me. Also my laptop is a Toshiba Satellite L355 Intel Celeron processor 900 (2.2 GHZ) 3gb sdram, 250gb hdd. Is it worth upgrading or is money better well spent on New.

Randy

PS thanks for taking the time to help me!!!

Real Name
    John

Yes, the operating system requirements of the laptop. Sorry for taking so long to respond, Im on the road this week and don't have my laptop with me. Also my laptop is a Toshiba Satellite L355 Intel Celeron processor 900 (2.2 GHZ) 3gb sdram, 250gb hdd. Is it worth upgrading or is money better well spent on New.

Randy

PS thanks for taking the time to help me!!!
    Randy,

Based on the information you've given me it appears that you meet the minimum requirements for system resources with the laptop you already have. Toshiba doesn't carry a memory stick larger than the one you already have and unless you have two memory sticks inside I don't think you can go any further. If you do, you would only be able to increase memory to 4GB, which would be good and considering the price of the upgrade wouldn't be too expensive.

I would first take a look at how you handle your photo processing. Are you running any background programs when you do the batch processing, such as Internet Explorer, music, etc.? If you are try running only the photo software program and see if the crash still occurs. Also, how often do you run your system tools functions (disk defragment, disk cleanup)? Run these first before attempting the solo photo program test.

Real Name
    Steve

Does Elements or Lightroom allow batch processing in ACR. My Nikon program allows me to do this but keeps crashing. I reloaded a few times and still same problem. I want to upgrade to Elements 9 or Lightroom 3. Leaning toward Lightroom for its noise reduction.

Randy
    In elements 7 you can select all and do the same thing to every one simultaneously. I do it for white balance.

Real Name
    Randy

Randy,

Based on the information you've given me it appears that you meet the minimum requirements for system resources with the laptop you already have. Toshiba doesn't carry a memory stick larger than the one you already have and unless you have two memory sticks inside I don't think you can go any further. If you do, you would only be able to increase memory to 4GB, which would be good and considering the price of the upgrade wouldn't be too expensive.

I would first take a look at how you handle your photo processing. Are you running any background programs when you do the batch processing, such as Internet Explorer, music, etc.? If you are try running only the photo software program and see if the crash still occurs. Also, how often do you run your system tools functions (disk defragment, disk cleanup)? Run these first before attempting the solo photo program test.
    OK, thanks John I'll try. I think from what you have explained I'm riding a fine line on what my laptop can handle. I really need to add image noise reduction software, a stand alone or Lightroom for my indoor shoots. Will that put me over what my processer can handle. Its slow already. Also I run system tools function often.

Randy

Real Name
    Mark

Go for Lightroom download the trial and see if it works for you. Once you get into it I think you will really like it.
    Mark.

Real Name
    Randy

Quote Originally Posted by arith View Post
    In elements 7 you can select all and do the same thing to every one simultaneously. I do it for white balance.
    Thanks Steve, when I loaded Elements 7 it didn't have ACR in the sofware. I loaded ACR as a plug in and it only allows a single image in RAW to process.

Randy

Real Name
    Randy

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Lawrence View Post
    Go for Lightroom download the trial and see if it works for you. Once you get into it I think you will really like it.
    Mark.
    I'm leaning toward LR after I read Willie's workflow process. Very user friendly and a great noise reduction. My elements is a little out dated.

Randy

Real Name
    John

OK, thanks John I'll try. I think from what you have explained I'm riding a fine line on what my laptop can handle. I really need to add image noise reduction software, a stand alone or Lightroom for my indoor shoots. Will that put me over what my processer can handle. Its slow already. Also I run system tools function often.

Randy
    Randy,

You should be able to run without problem as long as you don't have anything else running in the background. I'll sometimes push my system resources to the limit by running additional programs, or at least having them active, but this utilizes system RAM and you want all available memory to be accessible by your photo editing program.

Real Name
    Randy

Randy,

You should be able to run without problem as long as you don't have anything else running in the background. I'll sometimes push my system resources to the limit by running additional programs, or at least having them active, but this utilizes system RAM and you want all available memory to be accessible by your photo editing program.
    Thanks again John, My Nikon program is working since I stopped all background programs. Still slow but working. Now I can hold off a little while longer to upgrade.

Randy

Real Name
    John

Thanks again John, My Nikon program is working since I stopped all background programs. Still slow but working. Now I can hold off a little while longer to upgrade.

Randy
    You're welcome Randy.