Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: New 100mm Macro

Real Name
    Bryan

New 100mm Macro

Just got a new 100mm Macro, and loving it. I'm appreciating how much work it is to manage the DOF and focus, definitely a different shotting style from the telephotos.

Atlas Moth
    New 100mm Macro
    Model: Canon EOS REBEL T2i
    ISO: 1600
    Exposure: 1/160 sec
    Aperture: 4.0
    Focal Length: 100mm

New 100mm Macro
    ISO: 200
    Exposure: 1/250 sec
    Aperture: 11.0

New 100mm Macro
    ISO: 200
    Exposure: 1/2000 sec
    Aperture: 2.8

Real Name
    2 penny for the guess..

Re: New 100mm Macro

Nice shots Bryan,

Handhelded macro is quite chalenge, but I think you shoud try with smaller apertures, for a great DoF (f16 maybe...)
    Colours of butterfly are great, also for the flower shot, but both look "smooth" on my computer.

Anyay, now you have to get out again and give us more pictures

Leo

As Leo said, small apertures are needed for macro photography as the depth of field is very shallow to start with.

I usually like to work with F14 as a compromise between focus depth and the sharpest section of the lens. And with F11 as the most open setting.

But this can easily cause problems in poor light which requires excessively high ISO, as you are finding.

To overcome this, I often use flash and set the Flash Compensation as required. But this is yet another area which will require to be mastered. Macro isn't an easy method.

Using a tripod certainly helps but too slow a shutter speed can cause other problems if the subject is moving; ie blowing around in the wind.

Getting absolutely square with the subject is another useful tip. But this often presents problems with a flighty target which doesn't want to be photographed.

But you have made a good start there.

Real Name
    Bryan

Thanks Leo , Thanks Geoff,

It is painfully evident that trade offs are required and unforgiving, however it is a strangely attractive challenge. I think my next purchase is going to be some way to get my flash off my camera. And to practice setup and patience with the tripod. These were are all lacking in gettting the main sugject sharp. I'd also like to try some focus staking, eventually

Real Name
    Bill S

BJ,

Out of curiosity, which specific version of the 100mm macro did you end up getting?

- Bill

Real Name
    Bryan

I got the cannon 100mm regular not the L. All the reviews I read said that they were comparible, yet the L is almost twice the cost.

Real Name
    Bill S

BJ,

Yeah - I read the same things too. I ended up splurging when I bought mine and went with the L - the allure of owning an L lens and the IS was too much for me to resist. Besides - I bought it when I was already dumping a couple grand into the underwater housing and strobes and such, so what was another $500? haha!

Since you mentioned getting your flash off camera, I'll point you to this thread which has some really great advice from some of the macro masters around here... (in case you didn't read it the first time around).

Looking forward to the shots you get with that macro. I just am downloading a bunch from my card right now - ever since I got the flash setup for mine, I have only been shooting with the 100mm macro and the new flash! I can't seem to see anything other than macro stuff!

- Bill

If shooting flighty insects, Bryan, I wouldn't worry too much about getting the flash 'off camera'. Speed and the ability to shoot through a 'hole' in the foliage without disturbing the intended subject outweigh and problems as far as I am concerned.

Flowers can be a different matter though.

And with regard to tripod use. There is a bit of a knack of hiding behind the camera while sliding everything forwards. When working in dense undergrowth, I prefer to keep the legs fairly low, and closely spread, then raise the centre column to gain height.

This is exactly the opposite of all the advice about landscape photography but widely spaced tripod legs are difficult to move in dense and tangled undergrowth. I often regard my tripod more as a monopod with legs.

But one word of warning. This set up is unstable and prone to falling over if you let go of the assembly.