Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Please Help with feedback.

Real Name
    Shannon

Please Help with feedback.

Hi, I am new to photography, (about two months) I just started taking college photography classes. I admire the work of many people on this site. I would love it if I could get some feedback on my pictures. I would like some suggestions on how to take my pictures to the next level where they look more professional, sharp and clear. Thanks so much.. !!

birdforschool.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Dave Humphries; 18th May 2011 at 10:34 PM. Reason: add image inline

Re: Please Help with feedback.

Some scenes, Shannon, are very difficult; if not impossible to get good results. And you have one there.

Personally, I would have just looked at that scene and kept on walking; unless it was a rare bird.

You are shooting a dark subject against a bright background which is fraught with difficulties. Increasing the exposure would help, although the background will over expose.

But the biggest problem is that branch which is obscuring a lot of the scene and 'overwhelming' the bird. You might just about get away with it in colour but it is all too dark in B&W.

Brightening the whole scene would help but it is never going to be a 'prizewinner'.

Not your fault, though. Merely the wrong camera angle for a successful shot. And I don't suppose the bird was willing to co-operate and adopt a better pose.

Don't get disheartened by this one photo; you did what you could with the scene.

Real Name
    Shannon

LOL Thank you SO much Geoff for taking the time to give me some suggestions. I really appreciate the feedback.. I am aware that the photo was "lacking" I just didn't know why.. So I really appreciate the feedback and suggestions. I completely agree with you.. I will practice the things you said.. Like I said I am just new and have MUCH to learn.. I don't think I will hand this one in for school, ( I have to hand in three photographs this coming Tues.) back to the drawing board..

Real Name
    Frank Miller

We've all been there, Shannon. Assuming that the thumbnail is showing the entire image, in this photo the croping on the left side is a bit tight. You eye usually wants to see a some of what is in the direction the subject is facing or moving. If possible, I would have placed the bird closer to the right hand 2/3 of the frame and left some breathing space on the left.

Real Name
    Shannon

Thanks for your help Frank, !! I think you are right now that you point that out. I will definitely keep that in mind next time I am cropping a picture. I appreciate your help.

Real Name
    Peter

Hi Shannon,

Geoff and Frank are right on the money here. A couple of things to remember when framing a subject (or cropping) is to give the subject room to breathe inthe frame. Filling the frame is one thing but the subject still needs room to shine.

The second is, if you were to print and frame this shot then you are goingto lose a little room around the sides that will be covered up by the pictureframe of mount board which will only exacerbate the tight crop here.

Well spotted thought and keep posting so we can help.

Real Name
    Shannon

Thanks Peter!! I agree both Geoff and Frank were correct, and thanks for the additional tips about framing. I haven't taken a shot yet that I would consider worthy of framing. But it is good to keep in the back of my mind. If I keep practicing diligently I might get one in a year or two.. hehe.!