Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Royal Bengal Tiger

Real Name
    Abhi

Royal Bengal Tiger

I was finally inspired by Jiro's wonderful photos to start processing my photos from the trip to the Nandankanan zoo last month. Here's the first one

Royal Bengal Tiger
    Canon Digital Rebel, Canon 55-250mm IS @ 250mm, f/5.6 for 1/500s @ ISO 400

Looking at it again, Is it over-sharpened?
    Last edited by abhi; 18th May 2011 at 03:54 PM.

Real Name
    Willie or Jiro is fine by me.

Re: Royal Bengal Tiger

I think the sharpening is on borderline level but still acceptable for me (I like sharp images). If I may comment, I think the color saturation is a bit on the yellow side. The contrast is a bit too high that I think you have lost some good details on the bright areas of the furs. There is one anomaly on the tiger's left eye so you might probably clone the right eye and paste it to the left for a more realistic shot. Lastly, just my personal taste... I wish you had included the whole body of the tiger for maximum impact. All in all, still a pretty good shot for me, Abhi.

Hi,
    Somewhat like that could be,with more "air" on the base
    Royal Bengal Tiger

Real Name
    Abhi

Quote Originally Posted by jiro View Post
    I wish you had included the whole body of the tiger for maximum impact. All in all, still a pretty good shot for me, Abhi.
    Thanks, Jiro. He wasn't the most cooperative of the subjects :P. Kept moving in a huge circle around a tree making it really hard for me to focus. This is the only acceptable shot in 20+ that I took. The only marginally acceptable full body one has him walking away from me I will work on fixing the image when I get back home in an hour or two (shorter work days in summer, woot!).

PS: I get to try out the PS technique that you have shared in the other thread too

Real Name
    Abhi

Quote Originally Posted by Radu Dinu Cordeanu View Post
    Hi,
    Somewhat like that could be,with more "air" on the base
    Royal Bengal Tiger
    Thank you, Radu. I like your edit, I will work on the image some more and share the results a little later

Real Name
    Peter

I know when these guys start moving they are hard to get so well done on this captrue but I agree with all Jiro's comments in regards post production.

Real Name
    Abhi

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Ryan View Post
    I know when these guys start moving they are hard to get so well done on this captrue but I agree with all Jiro's comments in regards post production.
    Thanks, Peter. I agree with them as well. I found this photo relatively difficult to pp due to the highlight areas on the tiger, and the similarity in colors with the background. I will work on this some more and post the results soon

Real Name
    Peter

Hi Abhi,

If you shot in RAW trye playing with the Recovery and Fill Light sliders to even out the dynamic range. If you shot in jpeg trye using the shadows/highlights command and then addback some minor additional contrast.

Real Name
    Abhi

Thanks again, Jiro, Radu, and Peter, for your insightful comments. How is this version:

Royal Bengal Tiger

I have reduced the overall exposure, contrast, and saturation all a little. Additionally, with the local adjustment brush I bumped up the sharpness for the tiger, while reducing clarity a little. I found that it worked for me to bring out some of that texture in the fur. I could not clone the other eye out though :P Any tips on how to? I am trying out the B&W blending technique that Jiro mentioned in the other thread. Hopefully, I can improve it further with that
    Last edited by abhi; 18th May 2011 at 03:53 PM.

Real Name

Quote Originally Posted by abhi View Post
    Thanks again, Jiro, Radu, and Peter, for your insightful comments. How is this version:

Royal Bengal Tiger

I have reduced the overall exposure, contrast, and saturation all a little. Additionally, with the local adjustment brush I bumped up the sharpness for the tiger, while reducing clarity a little. I found that it worked for me to bring out some of that texture in the fur. I could not clone the other eye out though :P Any tips on how to? I am trying out the B&W blending technique that Jiro mentioned in the other thread. Hopefully, I can improve it further with that
    If comparing between the 1st and this edit I would go with this one. Good recovery of the details on the furs, Abhi. Nice work.

Real Name
    Sahil Jain

If thats how the eye of the tiger actually was, I would have wanted to show the eye as it is, if I had taken that shot.

Real Name
    Abhi

Quote Originally Posted by Sahil View Post
    If thats how the eye of the tiger actually was, I would have wanted to show the eye as it is, if I had taken that shot.
    That is how the eye was, Sahil. But, I would not mind cloning it out.

Real Name
    Abhi

If comparing between the 1st and this edit I would go with this one. Good recovery of the details on the furs, Abhi. Nice work.
    Thanks, Jiro. Here is my final edit. Includes B/W blending, dodge/burn, and sharpening in PS. How did I do?

Royal Bengal Tiger
    Last edited by abhi; 18th May 2011 at 03:52 PM.

Real Name

Thanks, Jiro. Here is my final edit. Includes B/W blending, dodge/burn, and sharpening in PS. How did I do?

Royal Bengal Tiger
    Too bright for me. The bright areas on the ground are now definitely competing for attention against the tiger. I'll give you a tip: Usually the eyes prefer bright objects against the dull ones. So, with this idea in mind, keep the background as is from your 1st edit and then just slightly introduce some sharpening on the tiger only. If you combine the two layers I told you about... I think you got a definite winner here.

Real Name
    Abhi

If you combine the two layers I told you about... I think you got a definite winner here.
    Some people could be so hard to please Here is a combination of the last two edits . Because, you have been so nice and patient with me Jiro:

Royal Bengal Tiger

Thanks for the tip, Jiro. I have been trying to be more careful but somehow this one slipped by.
    Note to self: Selective sharpening is good
    Last edited by abhi; 18th May 2011 at 03:52 PM.

Real Name

Some people could be so hard to please Here is a combination of the last two edits . I am just posting the link so that I do not clutter the thread up with my mistakes Thanks for the tip, Jiro. I have been trying to be more careful but somehow this one slipped by.

Note to self: Selective sharpening is good
    You should post your final edit, Abhi. That one is definitely much better (according to my taste). Hehehe. Well done on the edit.

Real Name
    Abhi

You should post your final edit, Abhi. That one is definitely much better (according to my taste). Hehehe. Well done on the edit.
    Done, Sir. Thank you for walking me through this . It has been a great learning experience for me. . This thread is a great example of how patient and helpful people on this forum can be

Real Name

Done, Sir. Thank you for walking me through this . It has been a great learning experience for me. . This thread is a great example of how patient and helpful people on this forum can be
    I'm usually helpful when I have already consumed about 3 cups of coffee. Hahaha! Fewer than that I'm still sleepy. You really did good here, Abhi. Congratulations.

Real Name
    Abhi

I'm usually helpful when I have already consumed about 3 cups of coffee. Hahaha! Fewer than that I'm still sleepy. You really did good here, Abhi. Congratulations.
    In that case, I think you should be glad I do not live in Houston anymore I could have delivered lots of coffee for a few lessons from you. Thank you, Jiro.

Real Name

In that case, I think you should be glad I do not live in Houston anymore I could have delivered lots of coffee for a few lessons from you. Thank you, Jiro.