Thread: Colin Needs Help! (Nikon D60 delay timer)

Real Name
    Have a guess :)

Colin Needs Help! (Nikon D60 delay timer)

I know I know, many of you have probably been saying this for years (and you'd be right, sigh! )

But ...

A friend of mine has a Nikon D60 - and is having trouble getting to grips with the delay-timer function - any Nikon shooters out there who can give me any "heads up" to pass on?

Anything obvious that they're likely to be missing?

Thanks folks!

Real Name
    Mary... or Lucy... either is fine with me. ;)

Re: Colin Needs Help!

Quote Originally Posted by Colin Southern View Post
    I know I know, many of you have probably been saying this for years (and you'd be right, sigh! )

But ...

A friend of mine has a Nikon D60 - and is having trouble getting to grips with the delay-timer function - any Nikon shooters out there who can give me any "heads up" to pass on?

Anything obvious that they're likely to be missing?

Thanks folks!

What perfect timing! I have a D60 and was trying to use the timer last week... fail. I've read the manual, read on-line but am abviously missing something. Hopefully someone can help.

rob marshall

If you Google "nikon d60 self timer" (without the quotes) then click 'discussion' on the left hand side filter there are a couple of forum threads that discuss this.

http://www.google.co.uk/search?q=nik...ed=0CBIQ_AUoBQ

This one in particular, but it's for a different Nikon model. http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/re...4&changemode=1

Real Name

Thanks Rob,

Most helpful of you.

@ Mary - Really hope you find the answer too!

Real Name
    John

Just select it using the bottom left button, the options on the side of the screen will be highlighted, scroll down to the small s, choose OK, scroll down to the Release Mode selections (s, continuous, timer, remote delay), click OK and fire away.

Real Name

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowman View Post
    Just select it using the bottom left button, the options on the side of the screen will be highlighted, scroll down to the small s, choose OK, scroll down to the Release Mode selections (s, continuous, timer, remote delay), click OK and fire away.
    That's what I was doing... exactly... but the timer never seemed to engage... the warning light wouldn't start blinking... never would actually click the shutter release. Hmmm...

Real Name

Quote Originally Posted by ilovelucydog View Post
    That's what I was doing... exactly... but the timer never seemed to engage... the warning light wouldn't start blinking... never would actually click the shutter release. Hmmm...
    OK folks - it's official - we have a damsel in distress here!

How are we going to help?

Anyone got a video link perhaps?

Does it depend on what mode the camera is in?

Real Name
    Robin

Stupid question I know - are you setting Timer or Remote Delay because the second needs and actual remote control to trigger the camera?

Can't think of any reason why it won't fire and it shouldn't matter what mode the camera is set to.

Colin Needs Help! (Nikon D60 delay timer)

Real Name
    Robin

Does the camera try to auto focus when you press the button? It should and if it isn't in focus it won't let you trip the shutter.

Real Name

Quote Originally Posted by black pearl View Post
    Does the camera try to auto focus when you press the button? It should and if it isn't in focus it won't let you trip the shutter.
    I wonder if setting the focus to manual might be a good test?

Real Name
    2 penny for the guess..

Real Name

Quote Originally Posted by black pearl View Post
    I made sure it was focused...

Real Name

I wonder if setting the focus to manual might be a good test?
    Maybe I'll give that a go.

Real Name
    Mark Fleming

Colin/Mary,

Is the problem with the camera reverting back to Normal mode all the time after having taken a shot? Two work arounds for this. The first would be to set the "function button" to Timer release and then you won't be going all the way through the menus, or, and this would be the best bet, to purchase the ir remote ML L3. It's about $15 I think.
    Last edited by The Blue Boy; 18th May 2011 at 08:20 PM. Reason: Got the name of the remote wrong. :))

Real Name
    Hans

Re: Colin Needs Help! (Nikon D60 delay timer)

A friend of mine has a Nikon D60
    You have a friend using a NIKON?

Real Name

Quote Originally Posted by The Blue Boy View Post
    Colin/Mary,

Is the problem with the camera reverting back to Normal mode all the time after having taken a shot? Two work arounds for this. The first would be to set the "function button" to Timer release and then you won't be going all the way through the menus, or, and this would be the best bet, to purchase the ir remote ML L3. It's about $15 I think.
    It's like it's not actually recognising that it is in timer mode at all.... maybe that would be the all around easiest option. Thank you, Mark.

Real Name

Quote Originally Posted by Hansm View Post
    You have a friend using a NIKON?
    The horrors... oh... I use Nikon. Okay... feeling the need to clarify... I try to use Nikon.

Real Name
    John

Quote Originally Posted by ilovelucydog View Post
    The horrors... oh... I use Nikon. Okay... feeling the need to clarify... I try to use Nikon.
    When you select the hourglass/help button (lower left) you should get a yellow highlight, scroll down to the function you want to change (in this case the "s"), once highlighted you need to press the OK button which will take you to the Release Mode screen. Scroll down to the function you want 2s or 10s and then press OK again. When you go back to the original release mode screen, the option you chose should be on the right hand side. Compose your scene, press the shutter button and wait for the photo to snap, if the camera senses motion it may try to re-focus.

Real Name
    John

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowman View Post
    When you select the hourglass/help button (lower left) you should get a yellow highlight, scroll down to the function you want to change (in this case the "s"), once highlighted you need to press the OK button which will take you to the Release Mode screen. Scroll down to the function you want 2s or 10s and then press OK again. When you go back to the original release mode screen, the option you chose should be on the right hand side. Compose your scene, press the shutter button and wait for the photo to snap, if the camera senses motion it may try to re-focus.
    You can also assign the self timer function to the "fn" button by selecting it through the custom settings menu.