Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: PAD - Your Thoughts Please

Real Name
    Have a guess :)

PAD - Your Thoughts Please

Hi Folks,

I'll soon be starting a thread for the last day of the July 2010 Photo-a-Day challenge.

I'm just wondering if you'd all be so kind as to post your thoughts on how you've found the experience - how has it affected you personally? - have you got anything out of it personally? Would you welcome another PAD in a few months? ... just whatever comes to mind, whether you've been posting daily shots - or "just" commenting on them - or even just enjoying some of the art created.

Any and all feedback greatly appreciated!

Real Name
    Kit, aka Slimtla

Re: PAD - Your Thoughts Please

I really enjoyed this. From the perspective of being a contributor, it was sometimes a challenge to find something to shoot that I felt would be at least of passing interest to others. Even just having the challenge of getting out each day has been an experience as I'm often a lazy photog and tend to only shoot when I "see" something, rather than going out to "find" something. And from an observers point of view it has been interesting seeing what others have contributed and seeing the huge subject variety that appeared across the month. I was impressed by the generally high level of both contributions and comments. People definitely engaged in the process.

Thanks to all who made comments on my contributions - you will never know how much encouragement it gave to a photographer who is still unsure of her ability. I know I have a whole heap to learn, both in direct photography and pp, but this challenge has been a great incentive.

And apologies to those of you who I didn't always give feedback to. I admired so many of your images.

As far as doing another PAD goes, a break would be good, but I'd welcome another challenge in a while.

Real Name

Thanks Kit,

It's certainly been quite a bit of work -- I can often go quite a few days between shots as well - but the good news for me was I got a couple of commercial landscape keepers out it it that I almost certainly wouldn't have - and I think shooting everyday does "sharpen up the senses so to speak".

A break will definately be good - Sean suggested we make it a one per season thing, which sounds like a good idea to me. I might even try to think of a way to give a REAL prize to whoever comes up with the best overall PAD album (and no, I won't be eligable in case anyone was wondering!).

Real Name
    Jeroen

I think it was a good way to encourage people to go out and shoot, like the intention was. When I had enough time it encouraged me, unfortunately I didn't finish the challenge (but I think I'll drop in another at the last day).
    Personally I find it difficult sometimes to come up with a proper photo (since that's what I demand from my photos) so my post weren't all at the level I would like to have them. But anyway, It good to see some more from other forum members like where the live and what they do.
    I don't know if I would participate in another PAD because I probably wouldn't be able to post every day, I like the encouraging and the encouraging of just posting a shot, not for any competitive intention.

Real Name

Thanks Jeroen,

One thing I should probably have said earlier: "We're CiC, not the tax department" in that if people miss a deadline or two we don't get all upset and add penalty charges

Although having said that, one of the ideas behind it IS to challenge people to push themselves a little (or a lot). Perhaps we should instead try for "30 photo in 30 days"?

I don't think the results were all that important. Jeroen suggested that not all of his shots were up to the usual standard, and I'm sure we all think that of our own. But the objective was, I think, to make you think each day and to stretch you a little. It certainly did that, and overall I think it was a worthwhile exercise. I don't keep a diary, but looking back over my past month's shots it seems a little like a photographic diary. I think July was not the best month in the northern hemisphere, as it's into the holiday season for us. Perhaps October would be a better month for everyone?

Real Name

Quote Originally Posted by carregwen View Post
    I don't think the results were all that important. Jeroen suggested that not all of his shots were up to the usual standard, and I'm sure we all think that of our own. But the objective was, I think, to make you think each day and to stretch you a little. It certainly did that, and overall I think it was a worthwhile exercise. I don't keep a diary, but looking back over my past month's shots it seems a little like a photographic diary. I think July was not the best month in the northern hemisphere, as it's into the holiday season for us. Perhaps October would be a better month for everyone?
    Thanks Rob,

It certainly stretched me a bit! I flicked back through my PAD July gallery a few times and thought - "wow - all these in just 1 month!" I've tried to lead by example and set a high standard, but at the end of the day I think it's a natural thing that some days thinks just don't work out as well as other days - but it does keep us on our toes and make us think more.

Quote Originally Posted by Colin Southern View Post

Although having said that, one of the ideas behind it IS to challenge people to push themselves a little (or a lot). Perhaps we should instead try for "30 photo in 30 days"?
    Although I am not posting any photos, but I am enjoying.

I think idea for " YOUR BEST PHOTO OF THE WEEK "

will be better than " PAD or 30 photo in 30days "

Real Name

Quote Originally Posted by ashwin View Post
    Although I am not posting any photos, but I am enjoying.

I think idea for " YOUR BEST PHOTO OF THE WEEK "

will be better than " PAD or 30 photo in 30days "
    Thanks Ashwin,

Tell me, how would you see such a challenge running? (ie "how could we do it")?

Thanks Ashwin,

Tell me, how would you see such a challenge running? (ie "how could we do it")?
    Just as you are running PAD

To my mind PAD constantly keep you thinking that you have to take photograph and post it to-day.

Whereas for Best photo of the week, you have plenty of time, you go on clicking,
    ( without any pressure of posting it same day )
    at the end of the week you have to select which is your best shot and post.

Fix 1st day of the week as possible date by that time you have to post your photographs, allow one/two days grace period

Anyhow this is my view, you all are doing wonderful job, you are the best judge.

Real Name

Thanks Ashwin,

I'll give it some thought.

Real Name
    Grant

I thought the idea was really challenging as it forced us to look for an interesting shot during our, sometime banal, day to day existence. But there is no way I could have posted a picture every day with time constraints of normal work and family commitments. I agree with Ashwin. "Best Photo of the Week" would be excellent as it would allow us to try to do something creative over the weekend.
    Grant

Real Name
    Kay

From an observer rather than a participant's point of view - I have greatly appreciated the time everyone has taken - particularly the comments on each other's images.
    I think it was 1 of Kit's comments in a welcome to a new member - saying, that we learn as much from reading comments on others photos as our own, and i think she is spot on.
    So I just thank you all for a great job.

Thanks Ashwin,

I'll give it some thought.
    Hi Colin,

One more suggestion from me.

To add competitiveness, I would suggest, Voting WINNER OF the BESt PHOTO OF THE WEEK, select only one photo, and at the end of the month all the weekly winners photo ( It may be 4 or sometime 5 )in one thread, and invite critics, & suggestion how to improve the Photograph, and choose Winner of the month.

At the end of the Year, put all monthly winner in one place 12 Photos. and voting for the Photo of the Year.

This is only my suggestion.

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

I think the concept was excellent and I was bitterly disappointed not to be able to take part. I knew I was going to out-of-action for a significant part of July.

I think Colin's comment above, that this discipline really does sharpen up the skills, is so true

Availability, regretably, will remain issue for any other PADs. My working life is such that there will be periods when the camera just has to stay in the bag. I started out in January this year saying that I would get out shooting on many more weekends and in the evenings than I did during 2009. What's actually happened? Yep, less! And I know that through August it's going to be a case of start at 8am and stop at ?pm (pick anything up to midnight). Sorry for the moan. What's retirement like?

Real Name

Quote Originally Posted by mastamak View Post
    I thought the idea was really challenging as it forced us to look for an interesting shot during our, sometime banal, day to day existence. But there is no way I could have posted a picture every day with time constraints of normal work and family commitments. I agree with Ashwin. "Best Photo of the Week" would be excellent as it would allow us to try to do something creative over the weekend.
    Grant
    Thanks Grant -- looks like 2 votes for a weekly challenge.

Real Name

Quote Originally Posted by wilgk View Post
    From an observer rather than a participant's point of view - I have greatly appreciated the time everyone has taken - particularly the comments on each other's images.
    I think it was 1 of Kit's comments in a welcome to a new member - saying, that we learn as much from reading comments on others photos as our own, and i think she is spot on.
    So I just thank you all for a great job.
    Thanks Kay

Real Name

Quote Originally Posted by Donald View Post
    Sorry for the moan. What's retirement like?
    Thanks Donald

I'm not sure what retirement is like ... I'll let you know when I get there!

Real Name

Quote Originally Posted by ashwin View Post
    Hi Colin,

One more suggestion from me.
    Thanks Ashwin - I'll get the monthly competition out of the way first, and then see what I can do for a weekly comp.

Real Name
    Steve

I thought it is great for those that can do it, but swamped everything else in Cic. I think it should have a completely different thread to Nature & Architecture.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast