Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: A few laughs (at ourselves)

A few laughs (at ourselves)

Found this at LenRentals.com:

http://www.lensrentals.com/blog/2012/03/hammerforum-com

Actually it doesn't apply to this forum, but a quick saunter over to DPReview or POTN and it won't take long to find something surprisingly similar (but about cameras/lenses).

Glenn

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Re: A few laughs (at ourselves)

That's brilliant.

I have to admit that I was wonderfully naive when I started getting involved in this forum lark (I was on another for a couple of months before discovering CiC and, now, it is the only forum I am a part of). I assumed that everyone would behave in a civilised and courteous manner. I didn't realise that so much of it out there is peopled by obnoxious, opinionated and downright rude creatures. And a lot of them seem to struggle with the size of their manhood (do you have wee-willy syndrome in your country?)
    Last edited by Donald; 31st March 2012 at 07:36 AM.

Real Name
    Alex

This article made me laugh more than I have in a long time. I think it perfectly parodies the recent discussion of camera technology. Fortunately the CiC community avoids these issues by taking a more reasoned approach to gear discussion. I welcome that.

The Lens Rentals blog is consistently high quality and I thoroughly recommend it. Normally it focuses on factual content regarding lens quality, servicing, cleaning, and lens optics design. All this is presented in a brand-agnostic, clear and concise style that would be of use to any technology-interested photographer (which may be 99% of us). A look through the older articles will provide a wealth of information.

Alex

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

Love it Glenn.

Personally, I use a B&Q, I think it's a 16 oz stainless steel head, with chrome steel shaft and rubber handgrip - about once every five years

I can post a pic of the tool, but not sure I could find a nail I'd driven with it, too long since to remember where.

Sadly, I can't afford the running costs these days to use it

Real Name
    Robin

That is very close to the type of rubbish you get on dpreview. It's the only forum I can get to on the computers at work so entertain myself on quiet afternoons by having browse.......I remember once when the Nikon/Canon users we slugging it out over the performance of their lenses and the way in which theirs had better (less) chromatic aberrations than any other makes. It was all getting rather heated when a Zeiss user stepped in and wanted to know what this chromatic abberation lark was, his lenses didn't do anything so common......the others just about imploded and even got close to fighting together in a vain attemp to prove their glass was the best.

Last time I had to knock a nail in I couldn't find my hammer so used a flat surface on a wrench.....did the trick.

Real Name
    David Victor Woods

Just as Donald as said... why go elsewhere CIC ROCKS!!! Its the sledge hammer with no sharp nails. Good honest advice.. and very very friendly to all posts responses. I have learnt a lot from this forum since joining. Thanks to all members!!

Real Name
    randy

I have a small hammer and want to hammer big nails. Do the experts here know of any attachments to make this possible?

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Yep - you need to get step-up heads that fix onto the head of your existing hammer.

Quote Originally Posted by Donald View Post
    Yep - you need to get step-up heads that fix onto the head of your existing hammer.
    Or try an extender; with the added length, you will get more velocity at the hammer head.

Sorry if I offend others, but I purposely named the two forums that seem to epitomize the behaviour mimicked in the link, and wanted by contrast, to highlight how well run and well behaved this one is.

This is not easy; sometimes upon reading a post, there is a tendency to think "what's that nonsense", so it's important that we constantly monitor our reactions and behaviour and not slip into what happens if we let emotions run unchecked and express them. Having an opinion is fine; being opinionated not so much.

Glenn

Real Name
    David Victor Woods

How about a longer exposure ?

Real Name
    Mark Fleming

Beautifully written. And too close for comfort!

Thankfully this site is not like any other.

Real Name
    Richard

I love this article. I have long bookmarked the LensRental site, as well as CiC (and a few others) for regular checking. Roger Cicala is almost always a good read--such a surprising thing to find at a place that rents lenses and cameras.

Deep in the heart of Texas and Fort Wayne Indiana
    Real Name
    Kristianna-Marie - I listen to Kris too.....

Don't know where our old hammer went - I used a wrench to get a tiny nail in the wall to hang a picture.
    Big mistake - the picture fell down and now it has to go back to PhotoShop for repairs....