Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Corruption of Memory card

Real Name
    Chris

Corruption of Memory card

I'm having this frustrating, random issue.

I take several photos, take out my card, put it in the reader, insert that into a slot on my PC, and when I open the card to extract the pics, the card is immediately empty with an error that it is corrupted. Then I have to reformat it in the camera. It works fine in the camera; I suspect the issue may be with my PC.

Camera: Nikon D90
    Card: Transcend 16GB
    Reader: USB stick/reader that came with the card

???

Re: Corruption of Memory card

Do you have any other cards to test out?
    Do you have any other card readers to test out?

I'll like you to also post a screen shot of the device manager.

Start menu > RIGHT click on my computers > Manage > Click on Device Manager on the left panel > Scroll down to Universal Serial Bus controllers. Post a screen shot.

1. Hold down Alt, then press "Print Screen." By holding down the Alt key, the computer will only save a screen shot of that particular windows explorer.
    2. Open up paint, Ctrl-V.
    3. Save as jpeg or png file.
    4. Upload the picture onto CiC via tinypic.
    Thanks!
    eg Corruption of Memory card

Real Name
    Chris

I burned a new CD on my new computer the other day and I got a similar message. I can open it on my school computer, and just about anywhere else but from the source that created it...go figure.

I had a similar issue with a Lexar Pro card...I did an engagement session and when I got home about 50 pictures had vanished. I tried a few types of data recovery tools to no avail. I sent it into Lexar and they tried as well but had no luck. They did replace the card though, but that didn't help when I lost the pics

Try formatting the card with nothing on it in the camera and then the computer formatting of the card. Try getting a usb card reader for the card . Some cards it seem silly , have a compatability issue with some computers i have a Lexar like that it won't read in the card slot but will read with a usb reader that is made for the card ,something about the language or the speed when the card was maid at the factory.

Actually, it happens due to corruption of NEF file format of Nikon digital camera. Nikon used this file format to store photos in the memory card. There are various reasons for the corruption nef file format such as virus attack, hard disk corruption, memory card corruption, mishandling of camera and many more. Thus, to resolve the corruption issue of nef of Nikon format it. But, if still you are getting the same problem then you have only option of nef recovery tool and for this you can use Nikon Photo recovery software. This software is the best tool for nef recovery. I have also used this software so I can say that this tool really works.

Real Name
    Nigel Holmes

Quote Originally Posted by Fit View Post
    I'm having this frustrating, random issue.

I take several photos, take out my card, put it in the reader, insert that into a slot on my PC, and when I open the card to extract the pics, the card is immediately empty with an error that it is corrupted. Then I have to reformat it in the camera. It works fine in the camera; I suspect the issue may be with my PC.

Camera: Nikon D90
    Card: Transcend 16GB
    Reader: USB stick/reader that came with the card

???
    Hi Chris, this is a comlicated one. If the camera is formating the card and it works in the camera then the card format is ok. The problem may be with the USB stick/reader that came with the card or with your PC. Have you tried the reader in the rear USB ports on your PC as the front facia headers of motherboards can be problematic. Have you got a friend who has a PC with a suitable card reader that you can try your card in as this will eliminate if it is the card or not. Did the card read ok in the past or has it just started to fail? Sorry for all the question but if you can answer them we can get a better idea of where the problem is. Just one last thing, I once had a similar problem where images from one of my cameras where ok on the camera but corrupted on the PC and it was down to the camera requiring a firmware update from the manufacturer but I doubt if that is what you have here.

Real Name
    Have a guess :)

Quote Originally Posted by Squidgy View Post
    Hi Chris, this is a comlicated one. If the camera is formating the card and it works in the camera then the card format is ok. The problem may be with the USB stick/reader that came with the card or with your PC. Have you tried the reader in the rear USB ports on your PC as the front facia headers of motherboards can be problematic. Have you got a friend who has a PC with a suitable card reader that you can try your card in as this will eliminate if it is the card or not. Did the card read ok in the past or has it just started to fail? Sorry for all the question but if you can answer them we can get a better idea of where the problem is. Just one last thing, I once had a similar problem where images from one of my cameras where ok on the camera but corrupted on the PC and it was down to the camera requiring a firmware update from the manufacturer but I doubt if that is what you have here.
    Hi Nigel,

Chris posted the original question almost a year ago, so he's probably got it solved by now.

Real Name
    Mike

Chris, if you bought that Transcend card from Amazon, you might want to check with them as they
    had a recall of a large number of 16 GB Transcend cards. I got a notice from them about it, but
    mine was not among the series of serial numbers in question.

I also shoot a D90, and use a Transcend 16GB as one of my cards. I generally use 4GB PNY cards,
    and have had very good luck with them, plus, they hold over 200 RAW files which would be about
    2 shoots worth for me.

Mike

Real Name
    Mark Fleming

Hi Chris,

Well, I had to Google the make of the card as I'd never heard of 'em.

Is this your only card? Reading between the lines (as you're using the reader that came with the card) I suspect it it might be. Correct me if I'm wrong mate!

Now firstly (and I'm trying not to be being condescending) if anyone is gonna buy a high capacity card such as 16Gb, then I'd seriously advise a better and more trusted make. Sorry but I feel that is good advice.

Secondly, did Windows install the device ok at the first time of use? We all know how brilliant Windows is at $%$$!%! things up.

Sorry to be a bit negative.

P.S. @jennifer12, Welcome to CiC forums. Not sure if it's an issue with the NEF format as Chris hasn't stated as such.

I know you're being a bit bombarded by questions but the answers to these are the only real way of solving the issue and thus creating a reference for future user(s) problems of the same ilk.

Real Name
    Mark Fleming

Hi Nigel,

Chris posted the original question almost a year ago, so he's probably got it solved by now.

Cheers,
    Ha! Never even looked at the date.

Will remember next time Colin!

Real Name
    Hero

I have learned to distrust cardreaders. Even those that came with a card. I rather plug my camera directly into my computer(s). Seen too many cards get corrupted. Probably due to some subtle differences in the filesystem cameras use, that the driver of the reader does not pick up on.

Edit:
    Quote Originally Posted by The Blue Boy View Post
    Ha! Never even looked at the date.
    *whistles innocently at ceiling*

Real Name

Quote Originally Posted by Hero View Post
    I have learned to distrust cardreaders. Even those that came with a card. I rather plug my camera directly into my computer(s). Seen too many cards get corrupted. Probably due to some subtle differences in the filesystem cameras use, that the driver of the reader does not pick up on.

Edit:

*whistles innocently at ceiling*
    I've had a little trouble with them, but not a lot. I have seen the mess that a cable attached to a device makes when the device moves with cable still attached though (which is why I use my card reader!).

Real Name
    Bill S

Quote Originally Posted by Colin Southern View Post
    I've had a little trouble with them, but not a lot. I have seen the mess that a cable attached to a device makes when the device moves with cable still attached though (which is why I use my card reader!).
    Ouch! I never thought of that risk... I usually warn folks of the potential risk of voltage spikes traveling through their computer, through the cable, and right into their nice expensive camera.... So many reasons to find a reliable card reader.

- Bill

Real Name
    Hero

Guess in that case tethered shooting isn't such a good idea either...

Real Name
    Mike

Hi Nigel,

Mike = Corruption of Memory card

'Nuff said.

Real Name

Quote Originally Posted by Hero View Post
    Guess in that case tethered shooting isn't such a good idea either...
    I do it ... but only because I don't want to fork out a few thousand for Canon's wireless transmitter. I use a Really Right Stuff cable relief, but none-the-less it is a VERY real danger in the studio. We haven't pulled a camera off a table (yet, touch wood) - but definately pulled the cable out of the camera quite a few times (before getting the cable relief).

It still makes me VERY nervous.

Real Name
    Nigel Holmes

Hi Nigel,

Ha ha ha! Doh!!! That will teach me not to look at threads after downing several cold ones! Thanks Colin

The memory card present in my Nikon digital camera is corrupted and I cannot access the contents saved on it. is there any way to recover and restore the photos through Nikon photo recovery

Real Name
    Richard

I have never had a CF card which was working initially go down but, I have had problems with two Kingston cards when I first used them.

The first card would format O.K. in the camera. It would also display my images just fine on the camera LCD screen, but I could not transfer the data on the card to my computer, either using an accessory card reader or the card reader of my computer.

The second card would only provide imagery on the top half of the frame. The bottom half was just garbage of various colors. This was true on the camera LCD as well as on several card readers and more than one computer.

Although I still use and have confidence in some older, smaller and slower Kingston cards, I will no longer purchase that brand.

The CF cards seem to be pretty indestructible. If the work from the start, they seem to continue working. There have been anecdotal stories about CF cards being run through a washing machine in a trousers pocket and still working.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast