Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Ornament Photo looking for feedback

Real Name
    Dale Ashby

Ornament Photo looking for feedback

Ornament Photo looking for feedback

I am relatively new to serious photography (more than point and shoot) and I am looking for feedback on this photo to help me learn. I used a Nikon D5100 w/ 18-55mm AF-S VR 1:3.5 - 5.6G Nikkor lens. I used Auto Focus and settings were F/5.6, 1/60, ISO 1400, Flash Sync Mode is Front Curtain, VR on.

I started with Auto Focus as I am learning how to use the manual settings for aperture, shutter speed, etc. My goal is to start shifting toward using the shutter priority and aperture priority modes more to experiment.

Feedback on the image composition would also be helpful.

Looking forward to learning and growing as a photographer.

Dale

Re: Ornament Photo looking for feedback

It's sharp and pretty, but lacks interest in subject matter. As an exercise,
    it may be useful.

While it's not a problem here, at 1/60th, you should be using a tripod. When
    using a tripod with that lens, most people say you should turn the VR off.

If you have a editing program like Photoshop or Elements, that ornament
    over the top left of the creche should be cloned out.

Dale, welcome to CiC. I would start with what are you trying to capture in the picture? The ornament is cool esp the rainbow colors, and the inlay-ed figures. You have good DOF brushing out to the left. I start by making a square with my hands and close one eye and find what attracted my attention(subject) in the first place. Next I replicate it to the best of my ability in my view finder. Don't knock a P&S I put my old one in the hands of a professional photographer and his images were better than anything I have done with my DSLR.

Ryo

Real Name
    Gary Whitcutt

Nice colors and contrast going on here. Maybe compose your subject off-center (old rule of thirds) and maximize your depth of field as much as possible with a tripod given the close range.

If using flash, Dale, I would considerably reduce the ISO to 800 maximum and preferably half that amount. Extra flash should be able to compensate.

Can you set your camera for a faster shutter when using flash? If so I would prefer something around 1/160 for hand held shots. Maybe use Tv setting although I prefer to manually choose my settings and let the flash find it's own level. Often with a bit of flash output compensation.

With a tripod, Av might be worth a go but there isn't anything of any real interest or sharp focus in the background anyway.

And because of the lack of good background, I would try a crop at a different ratio to lose some of the sides. It will put your main subject close to the centre point, but that often works OK for this sort of scene.

And, most important, is that bright out of focus ornament in the background which has to go. Either reduce the brightness of this just item or clone it away.

Real Name
    John

Nice image, try without the false and in a low light setting. Experiment with a little longer shutter speed and perhaps a stream of light from a flashlight or other light source.

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

Hi Dale,

In addition to earlier comments, I would suggest a composition without the bright (distracting) lamp just above the subject.

Or clone it out in PP.

Welcome to the CiC forums from ...

Real Name
    Dale Ashby

Thank you all for the feedback and pointers. You have given me some ideas to try and experiment with and some things to look for as I compose photographs. I appreciate the tips.

Dale

Real Name
    Wayne Turner

Composition is good, focus could be sharper on the angel perhaps, this is a nice shot and shows you have a good eye. The rest will come easy.