Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: A Wall, a Tree and the Lomond Hills

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

A Wall, a Tree and the Lomond Hills

I'm treating this as a work-in-progress because this is not the sky I want in this shot. So, I'll just have to be persistent and keep looking out for the right day. But I like the concept and I love this little tree, so I thought I'd post this up and invite your comment about what I'm trying to do.

I think I want a really flat, featureless sky. I've screwed back on the structure in this sky, but it's just not the right tone. I think it needs to have a colder feel to it.

The tree? Well you can see it here (it's the furthest away one) and here (it's on the left).

West Lomond ( the high point on the right) has also featured in a number of images I've posted up here. And the fact that East Lomond is visible between the two vertical branches of the tree is not an accident (it took a while to get the tripod exactly lined up).

So, any thoughts you have about the idea, would be welcomed.

40D, 17-85mm f/4-5.6 IS USM @ 24mm. ISO200. 1/180@f8
    Last edited by Donald; 23rd December 2011 at 10:01 PM.

Real Name
    Joe

Re: A Wall, a Tree and the Lomond Hills

I am out of my league here only having posted my second B&W image in a Mini-Comp. That being said I find the composition very pleasing. My eye go to the tree, then wander along the stonewall, the further stone wall and gate, the hedgerows, and finally the Lemond Hills. Not knowing what a colder sky would look like I am limited, maybe a completely overcast gray sky.

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Thank you for commenting Joe. And the fact that you've just posted a couple of B & Ws doesn't make your views and opinions any less legitimate. As for the sky, what I'm thinking about is more like the skies in the two images that I linked to in my post above - just as you say, completely overcast and gray.

Real Name
    Wendy

I love what you've done Donald, and I appreciate what you did to get East Lomond lined up between the tree branches, BUT I'm wondering how it would be if you moved to your right a bit so East Lomond was to the right (on screen) of the tree... and shot from a lower angle. Can't really say, you are much better at composition that I am, but even though you took the time to set up East Lomond it is still lost in the tree, and I'd like to see both peaks clearly AND the tree with more of it against the sky.

I'm also wondering how the same shot would look closer up with the peak lined up as you have it between the tree branches on the left third and West Lomond in the right third. I think you could still get a nice 1:1 format with the partial tree in the foreground and include both peaks and the original framing.

Well I'm babbling and thinking out loud, but it's one of those places where I'd love to be able to wander around for different points of view. In the end I doubt very much that I would come up with anything better than what you've posted.

Wendy

Real Name
    Bobo

I don't know much but think this sky looks just fine here.

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Quote Originally Posted by ScoutR View Post
    BUT I'm wondering .....................

I'm also wondering ..............
    Thanks, Wendy. You've given me another couple of things to think about. When I was there yesterday, I considered putting on the Tokina 11-16. But because I wasn't really satisfied with the sky, I didn't bother. That would, of course, push the peaks back into the further distance and change the relative sizes of the tree and the hills and I'm not sure that that would work. As you suggest, just going in, with the longer lens, for part of the tree might be an option. It's close by, so I am able to go back frequently.

Quote Originally Posted by Bobobird View Post
    I don't know much but think this sky looks just fine here.
    It's okay. But it could be better.
    Last edited by Donald; 24th December 2011 at 09:58 AM.

I see what you mean about that sky, Donald. Those diagonal darker stripes tend to draw my eye away from the tree top.

Cropping tighter would lessen the effect but I think that would make the whole scene appear too cramped.

Real Name
    Chris

I think the problem lies less with the quality or detail of the sky as it does with the foreground. I find the foreground to be overly grainy-sharp-structured (whatever method you used in SEP2) in contrast to a decently soft contrast in the sky and hills behind the tree.

One area of extra contention is the middle of the tree trunk where there is a lower lying set of branches and leaves. I think I woul docnsider softening those or cloning out altogether. For me, there presence tends to such my eye there and its hard to get it away.

Nice composition - as always.

Al the lines works as per the composition, and what I've shown here is more for others than yourself.