Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Graphics card recommendations

Real Name
    Peter

Graphics card recommendations

I'm putting together a new machine - AMD x6 1055, with Win 7 Pro - and haven't yet decided on a graphics card. Photoshop performance is the deciding issue.

Any ideas?

Peter

Real Name
    Adrian Asher

Re: Graphics card recommendations

Hello Peter,

If you are after a silent card the Sapphire HD 5670 1GB GDDR5 Ultimate Edition (~£80 from amazon.co.uk) is a pretty good and reasonably priced option.

It's not a workstation card and won't run through complex 3D renders like a hot knife through butter but it will do a perfectly good job for image editing, works fine with the CS5 suite, and does a suprisingly OK job for gaming. Best of all it makes no noise.

HOWEVER: The fact that this card is a relatively high performer while being passively cooled does mean there is a hulking great heatsink which sits above the top edge of the card, so make sure it will physically fit inside your case!

Real Name
    Willie or Jiro is fine by me.

Re: Graphics card recommendations

Check out first what other 3rd party software plugins you might want to use later with Photoshop. Some of the best known photoshop software plugins are very finicky working with some graphics card. NVidia is good but is a hell to work with using NikSoftware's Silver Efex Pro 2. It's not NVidia's problem, I think it's more of how SEP Pro 2 uses the card's graphics acceleration features that messes up the process. I don't know if they have resolved this issue by now. Just my personal opinion.